Using assets from a banned user's mod

Roadhouse699

I received permission to use models and textures made by a modder who had been banned from the Nexus for using copyrighted content - though he claims to have received permissions to upload it from the publisher. The assets I intend to use are from a different mod that he's made, however he's still advised me not to upload the mod I make with his assets on the Nexus, but rather on Bethesda.net.

Would I get in trouble for doing this?

He's likely advised you not to upload them here on the Nexus because they violate copyright laws. I would advise not uploading them on Bethesda.net either, though I have no clue whether or not they would even bother banning you over there or not.

it will only be taken down if it has stolen content. so follow the following guide:

did the author make the asset from scratch himself? yes, go ahead as long as you have their permission.

did the author say yes to use other assets they were given permission to use? yes, do not use the assets. instead go to the people the author got the assets from as the original makers did not give him permission to give the assets to others to use in their mods.

seriously there is nothing wrong if you are using assets from others but only when the permission was granted to you from them, but an author has no right to allow you to use another third parties assets.

Right. I'll get this all figured out before I release it.

Thanks guys.

You might want to read the actual Terms of Service for the Nexus. It is a bit long but has important info. Robin didn't put it there because he likes to use up internet space. And stealing assets can get you banned. It is your responsibility to verify that assets you use from someone else are legal to use. Asking that person isn't generally a good way if they are saying not to upload here. That implies that they are aware of things they should not be using.

Also if a mod is on the site that has not been removed does NOT mean it is ok. This is in the ToS also. It needs to be reported for investigation by the moderators. With literally tens of thousands of mods, images and posts on the site (with more coming) the Nexus staff relies heavily on reports from the community.

Here is a link to the Terms of Service. Should you have questions I am sure a moderator would be happy to answer them. Or even if you want to have them take a look at something before you upload may be something to consider also.

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

And just to add to this, yes, Bethesda will ban you for that as well and you'll permanently lose the ability to ever upload anything to Bethesda.net again if they do.

For one, holy s*** its the guy who made the giant patches for Skyrim.

Second, in the ToS, when they say "Copyrighted content", does that include assets based on stuff from other games or just assets taken from other games and ported to the game that's being modded?

Third, all of the mods that add items similar to this one have been pretty popular - Darth Vader armor, Geralt of Rivia armor, and even other Mass Effect armor. I would assume that the Nexus staff would notice them pretty easily and take them down quickly if they were violating any rules.

Edited by Roadhouse699

Assume nothing. As a former moderator here I can say there is enough work that things cannot be seen. Especially in a game still being heavily modded.

Copyright content is any content made by anyone that is not given direct permission for use. This can be content from other games, content made by other modders here, etc. Copyrght is often misunderstood and people trip over it a great deal. In the US something is copyrighted as soon as it is given a medium to view, hear or otherwise present. So if I make a sword from scratch in Blender as soon as I do so this is copyright owned by myself. I don't have to fill out anything or get a government approval.

However, to further explain and to cover what seems to be copyright questions the Terms state (my coloring of the font) :

• Absolutely no copyrighted work is to be used without permission of the original creator. This includes content from other games, from DLCs, music creators or from other file authors. This also includes members from countries that do not recognise copyright laws.
  • All files uploaded must have been created by the uploader or used with permission from the original author of the content. Such permission must be indicated in the Readme text attached to the file and/or on the Description page (or in the Description field for images), and must be obtained in advance, before uploading the file. If you cannot provide proof of consent then your file will be removed and your account is likely to be banned.
  • Always provide appropriate credit to authors who have given you permission to use their content in your files both within the file description and within your file readme, even if said content was published as free to use.

Basically if you didn't make it yourself from scratch, make it with permission of the ORIGINAL author then you need to have permission. If you use another author's uploaded content and they stole it from somewhere else, you don't have permission. To use a author's work that is not their content they have to have gained permission to use (and redistribute) or the content must be open source/free content.

Your best bet here is to not try to guess (or us guess) and simply show a moderator (Or the community liason SirSalami) the content you wish to use and see what the staff says. Again you are ultimately responsible for the content used in mods uploaded here. If you want to make something for private use only the Nexus does not care. You can do what you want in your game you just can not present it here.