Manual Installation of Mod Help Please

shajin

Ok, with NMM at the end of line and won't let me add some mods I want. And MO not wanting to install. I get a incompatible compression error message from my jzip program for the manual install of MO. And I get a can't unpack from the full install of MO. So I am left to trying to install some mods manually for Skyrim.

I would call myself an average modder. That is to say adding mods to Skyrim through NMM and Steam. I have added one or two by placing the files I found in the archives into corresponding folders in my Skyrim directory. Those were very small and simple mods that I was testing for a friend.

But now I am forced to try and install some more difficult mods with other parts and files. Lets see if I have the basics down though.

1. Every Mod needs a .esm and .bsa file in the Skyrim data directory.

2. Put corresponding files into their proper folders in the Skyrim data directory. (e.g. textures in textures, meshes in meshes, etc...)

That is all I know how to do. Then you activate the .esm in NMM or Steam loader. Using Loot to figure out the load order for you. Then start the game after backing up you save file and hope the new mods work.

So this one mode has multiple directories in the archive. For use with the different body extenders. I use CBBE. I should only copy the files in the CBBE folder as well as the ones in the folder named core?

If there is a FOMD, or is it FMOD, I get the shorthands confused some times. But you know what I am talking about. If there is one of these directories could I use it to help install these mods? I never looked in that directory but I know it's there.

Finally, I would like to say thanks to all who help me in advance. And if there is any other advice or help you can give me I would love to hear it.

I manually install all my mods so regard points 1 and 2:

1. Not necessarily - many mods don't have a .bsa, some (textures, mesh fixes) might not even have an .esp

2. Correct but be sure to understand what files you actually need first since many mods with optional components have conflicting assets.

You don't state what mod you're trying to install but many mod authors include a manual install readme or instructions in the description - if this one doesn't you can read through the fomod .xml - it's instructions for the installer but if you search for 'destination' you should be able to see where the installer is copying things.

When installing something like this I usually make a Skyrim/Data folder on my desktop and copy stuff there until it looks right rather than copying straight into my Skyrim install - I also keep .7z backups of my mod compilations so I can quickly get things back to how I want them if something doesn't work.

*Edit* Oh, and don't rely on LOOT - it's a guide, that's all - it's frequently gotten my load order wrong - look at what your mods are doing and apply some common sense as to what needs to be higher (executed sooner) and what needs to be lower (stuff that needs priority).

Edited by Brataccas

You don't state what mod you're trying to install but many mod authors include a manual install readme or instructions in the description - if this one doesn't you can read through the fomod .xml - it's instructions for the installer but if you search for 'destination' you should be able to see where the installer is copying things.

When installing something like this I usually make a Skyrim/Data folder on my desktop and copy stuff there until it looks right rather than copying straight into my Skyrim install - I also keep .7z backups of my mod compilations so I can quickly get things back to how I want them if something doesn't work.

*Edit* Oh, and don't rely on LOOT - it's a guide, that's all - it's frequently gotten my load order wrong - look at what your mods are doing and apply some common sense as to what needs to be higher (executed sooner) and what needs to be lower (stuff that needs priority).

I did not state what mod because it was just a reference to a mod archive I was looking at that was able to be installed. Ok, I will check out the .xml file and see what is going on. Thanks.

Well as for making a copy of my Data directory is something I had not thought of. Will implement that though. And I do keep copies of the files that I download. Also I think I know why NMM is not able to add certain mods. It comes down to format of the archives. It does not want to recognize the .rar format. Yes we mentioned this on the multiple threads earlier today. So hopefully we will get some help later for that problem.

As for LOOT. I guess I could be a little more observant of what it is doing. But if it has worked so far I am cool with it. But will check load order after this for sure. And cudos to you my friend for doing everything manually. I think this is a nightmare and you do it all the time.

Thanks again.