Help with Skyrim meshes.

elopjd

First of all, I've gotta say that all the modding/modelling/tweaking since the release of Skyrim,

made me try 3d modelling for the first time, and it's been fun to learn, also challenging.

Sadly, most of the challenge is not coming from the graphical part, but the technical part.

Now, I've tried to figure out by myself, but I just can't seem to understand how mesh-editing works, specifically Nifskope.

Not looking for something uber-detailed, but at least some steps so that I know which way to go, and practice from there. I love to learn, but

not by being clueless, that's just not fun at all.

TL;DR: Would anybody be so kind in teaching me the basics of editing meshes?

Thanks in advance :)

(Edit: I do realize there is information, and I don't want to be repetitive and annoying, but said information is, no offence, so unorganized.)

Edited by elopjd

It took me a whole two seconds on google to retrieve the location of this page:

TES Portal: Modelling

If you're looking for information regarding the basics of modelling applicable for the Elder Scrolls games, then the above link is the place to find it. Judging by your clear expression of interest in learning the basics of 'mesh editing', I would concern myself with just that for now (I draw your attention to the Getting Started or Tutorials section (for example: nifskope comprehensive guide)). Worrying about trying to get meshes working in Skyrim later, as the process is kind of complicated right now and you'd fare much better with a working knowledge obtained from prior experience. Nevertheless, the video tutorials below, which I obtained after another two seconds on google, I will also draw your attention to:

I do realize there is information, and I don't want to be repetitive and annoying, but said information is, no offence, so unorganized.)

On the internet there is both organised and unorganised information. It has always been the responsibility of the person looking for information to have to invest some of his/her own effort into searching for that information according to what is and what is not useful.

Edited by FavoredSoul

Words can't express!

I tried following many examples in the section you pointed at, and it felt relaxing to see it working flawlessly,

I really hope for skyrim NIFs to work just like that in the near future, once decoded.

Thanks again, it's been really helpful, I really needed the friendly scolding, been trying to learn modelling as fast as possible and got me

exhausted for the more logical part it, hence I couldn't even figure out the right wording for an effective google-search.

Being used to the free and unbound 2D world and then swiftly into the mathematical 3D modelling world, certainly didn't go unnoticed :(

Edited by elopjd

• 5 weeks later...

If you ever need Blender advice then you can add me on steam: mcpikey

(I didn't choose that username). I'm on steam daily and I've been using Blender for about 4 years now. I too am new to the Elder Scrolls modding scene though, it's all gonna be very interesting methinks :D