Skyrim instantly crashes on save - please help!!

habaar

Hi, removed the mod, and now I am able to save ONCE :) then I continue my quest and the next save attempt is CTD again.. I think I give it up.. it was nice to play Skyrim until level 38, but at this point it is more of a pain then a pleasure..

hanli427's method does not work for me, as I can't save until the mod is on. When I disable the .esp I can do one single save at the very beggining when I respawn in Whiterun, and the next attempt is a failure, whatever I do. I tried to fast travel to different locations, sleep, wait 24 hrs, fight, but then again can't save.. Fock Bethesda I say :)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats very weird. The thing is, something is causing this and its not Bethesda. It must be one of the other mods you've installed. First thing you should do is re update the game to 1.3. Secondly, I would try disabling any mods you have, launching it with only the Skyrim.esm checked. Then make sure you can save. If it still doesn't work then there is something else wrong entirely and you may want to try reinstalling it again. If it does work, then re-enable each mod one at a time, checking to see if you can still save after each one is enabled. That way you'll be able to figure out which one(s) is/are causing the problem.

The other Proudspire mod does the same basic thing, but its a little different.

Edited by wr_berg

Thanks wr_berg. You were right all the time, the Proudspire esp caused the problem, but the funny thing is that I had both the Smithy and the Dragonborn enabled. Don't aks me how, but I've just realized it. So, removed Smithy, collected all my stored items and were able to save. Then removed the Dragonborn, and now my game is fixed and can save again. :)

And of course upgraded to 1.3. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate. If you don't point to the mod page I probably never realize that this mod messed up my game all the time. The most weird part still is that I was actuyally able to play long hours with this mod before it started to cause the symptoms..

I hope someone fixes the mod one day because it was very handy to have a complete blacksmiths corner in the basement..

This is odd, cause I'm having the same crashes on save/autosave since a couple of days ago but I don't have any mods installed, just some texture enhancements.

My game freezes at autosaves, I think, however this is a very strange crash cause I can't ctlr+alt+del out of it even if I see my taskbar and I am forced to reboot or logoff. Upon doing this, I get a "steamoverlayui.exe" error.

It is very annoying cause it breaks my immersion and frustrates me :facepalm:

Things that I have tried so far:

-Googl'd it, haven't found any solution yet.

-Checked integrity of game files with steam/defragmented.

-Disabled steam in-game

-Changed settings/resolution

-Disabled auto-save

I don't know what to do anymore, I can't really pin the root of the problem, not sure if it's patch 1.3.7 or if any of the "texture" mods I installed is making my game crash (which would be really strange).

:wallbash:

Edited by coldarra

I've read a LOT around this CDT issue, and found several symptoms and issues. At the moment it seems, that for my particular CDT issue the fix was to remove the Proudspire mod. But in many cases I've seen that texture replacements and improvements are also causing different CTD issues.

Now the problem is that you may get the smart advise to disable everything, and play your game on the very pure very basic skyrim without any mod or improvement. OK, do that, but then what if the game starts to CDT after a while again..? Then what will be the advise? Don't play at all..? :) Funny..

If you read carefully you will realize that in most cases the CTD issue pops out of a sudden, and the one cannot really explain what was changed recently which may cause the CTD. People play long hours on the same PC config with exactly the same game settings and mod/textures, they do not change anything and still they at some point of time start to experience CDT out of nowhere..

There is no ultimate solution I guess.. you can test all your settings and try to detect what is exactly causing the crashes, but you still cannot be sure that you permanently eliminated the root cause and the CTD will not return X hours later due to another unknown reason. sorry for being pessimistic on this but that's the case. This game is full of bugs at the moment, and is instable enough without any mods/tweaks. Need new patch for the sake of stability..

habaar, glad to see that you got it to work. That is funny that you were able to play at all with both Proudspire mods at the same time. Just remember, detecting problems with multiple mods installed can be tricky. I don't know why Proudspire didn't cause its crash on save problems until after several hours of gameplay, but it sounds like that is the case for most people. I was able to play with that mod for about 2 hours, then took a carriage from Solitude to Windhelm and could no longer save. After I played around with it for a while it seemed that I could do almost anything and still save except for riding in carriage, like the carriage ride triggered the issue for me... Very weird. My suspicion regarding what's causing that mod to have problems is that it has something to do with the form id's. If you read the description, the modder says something about recycling form id's from items Bethesda had removed. I don't know for sure, and I may be completely wrong, but that does not sound like a good idea. I know he claims, "As a result, unexpected results MAY occur if you have been doing a lot of terrible "markfordelete" behaviour via the console," but I'm pretty sure that you do not need to have marked anything for delete via console to run into problems like this (I know didn't). Never before have I heard of a modder using recycled codes like this. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the real dev kit (creation kit) has not been released yet, so this mod was made using other tools that don't work as well. Either way, I agree that it is a shame this mod doesn't work. It was a great addition to the house. Maybe in January when the creation kit comes out he'll be able to fix the problem.

@ coldarra:

The crash you're experiencing sounds different, like maybe you are overworking your hardware? What graphics card do you have? And are you using the Skyrim4gb Loader (recommended if you have a 64-bit OS and more than 2 gigs of ram)? You may also want to double-check the comments section on each of the texture mods you're using to see if anybody else has had the same problems

Edited by wr_berg

Hey,

I have been testing new stuff. Apparently when I play without texture mods the game is more stable, and this seems odd to me because my game ran perfectly fine before (same mods installed) :confused: So I'll try to load mods one by one and see where it goes wrong. I am not sure if it's related to my card (upgraded drivers not too long ago). It is strange to me that it gives me a "steamoverlayui.exe" error too. :psyduck:

@wr_berg, I use a 32bit version of windows xp and my card is an hd4870. (I know its a bit old and i'm saving money to upgrade some parts of my system) My game was working fine with no crashes until 2-3 days ago.

Edited by coldarra

I see. You may be running out of ram or something then. Maybe this ini mod will help.

Also, to anyone using Skyrim4gb, as of today it is no longer needed. Update 1.3.10 just released and it has the LAA flag checked on its own. Finally, YAY!!!

Good news because after all these fixes we discussed my game started to CDT again, with an earlier save game stage, definitely without any type of mod related to Proudspire :D And now I got tired finding out of 500 mods and textures and upgrades to find which is the one causing the crash. I simply put this away and play something else..