Skyrim instantly crashes on save - please help!!

habaar

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

my Skyrim CTDs (crashes to desktop) without any error message on any kind of save (normal save, quick save, autosave..) Basically I've spent like 5-6 hours now searching on the net for a solution with no success so far. Basically my skyrim is now unplayable, as I cannot save my game. Whatever save type I choose it just immediately quit to desktop.

I've tried so far:

- complete reinstall

- driver updates

- LAA, 4GB Skyrim

- modifying the .ini files several ways

- disabled all autosaving features in the options menu

- deleted skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini to have the game regenerate them

No success.. After all I can narrow down my problem to the save function. It seems my save files are corrupted. If I start a new game save function works. I've read that this has something to do with the size of the save file. Over 10-12 Mb size it seems save files crash the game on save.

I have like 50 hrs of gameplay in it and my character is over lvl 30, definitely don't want to restart. Please advise if you came across similar crash on save problems and if you have any working solution for it. My last hope - assuming that I'm not the only one suffering from this - is that Bethesda releases a good update/patch which hopefully solves this. But who knows when.

EDIT #1: forgot to mention that I'm able to load any previous save game successfully, I just cannot create new saves due to the crash. So its probably not about corrupt save games, but corrupted save functionality..

I am having the same issue, I got the save function restored by rolling back to 1.1 but is there a way to fix this for good? It sucks being denied updates because the save function doesn't work!

i just starting getting ctd. this pc is just 2 months old.

the issue for me is when ever the game decides to make an auto save before or after entering a new area , i would ctd and be left feeling somewhat despondent at beth's game programming.

i was able to fix the issue by deleting the auto save file that was causing the ctd.

Just wanted to add my two cents. Suddenly started having this problem today, as well, but it wasn't limited to autosaves. I noticed it happened MOSTLY when I quick saved (f5), and a couple times during a normal save. The important thing to note is last night I JUST installed that proudspire mod, so I'm inclined to say that may have been the cause. Removed it and seems to have fixed the problem, though only time will tell. Time to hunt down a new proudspire mod though, gonna try that dragonborn edition, proudspire manor is terrible without a mod. Good luck to all, will report back if anything changes!

When you say "clean reinstall" did you completely delete the whole directory structure and start again? Or just install over or into the existing directory structure? If you didn't delete the whole lot, there might have been some files (e.g. texture files) left behind deep in the directory tree.

In my experience it was either a few .dds files or the FXAA Injector files that caused EXACTLY the problems described. I just (after two days of hair-tearing, mind) hit "delete" at the top of the Skyrim/Steam directory tree and started again.

Where 1.3.10 crashed repeatedly, repeatably and predictably for me but 1.2.10 was stable, now 1.3.10 is rock solid. I've carefully addd back trustworthy tweaks and mods, SKSE and ScriptDragon and all is well.

Don't forget to save your savefiles though: they should still all work UNLESS you tweaked ugridstoload (or did something else unwise). A solution to rolling back the ugridstoload tweak can be found in the tweakguide on geforce.com... It's a generic solution, not just for nVidia cards.

If it works for you, spread the word: lots of folks have this problem and I fear it's been self-inflicted. I certainly inflicted it on my sorry self.

• 2 weeks later...

When you say "clean reinstall" did you completely delete the whole directory structure and start again? Or just install over or into the existing directory structure? If you didn't delete the whole lot, there might have been some files (e.g. texture files) left behind deep in the directory tree.

In my experience it was either a few .dds files or the FXAA Injector files that caused EXACTLY the problems described. I just (after two days of hair-tearing, mind) hit "delete" at the top of the Skyrim/Steam directory tree and started again.

Where 1.3.10 crashed repeatedly, repeatably and predictably for me but 1.2.10 was stable, now 1.3.10 is rock solid. I've carefully addd back trustworthy tweaks and mods, SKSE and ScriptDragon and all is well.

Don't forget to save your savefiles though: they should still all work UNLESS you tweaked ugridstoload (or did something else unwise). A solution to rolling back the ugridstoload tweak can be found in the tweakguide on geforce.com... It's a generic solution, not just for nVidia cards.

If it works for you, spread the word: lots of folks have this problem and I fear it's been self-inflicted. I certainly inflicted it on my sorry self.

Started from scratch with skyrim install ...still having the same issue

no mods at all,same issue, 1.1 still works

Edited by kmc410h

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry if this became old

but i got this problem yesterday, and googling and reinstalling didn't give any solution

but the problem fixed when i disable a mod called "hillside" in "data files" menu in the launcher

can't remember the full name but that's how it's named there

and now it's saving properly together with v1.4

hope this can be helpful

Sorry if this became old

but i got this problem yesterday, and googling and reinstalling didn't give any solution

but the problem fixed when i disable a mod called "hillside" in "data files" menu in the launcher

can't remember the full name but that's how it's named there

and now it's saving properly together with v1.4

hope this can be helpful

I started running into this just a couple of days ago with CTDs every time the game Autosaved or I did a manual save. After reading through this thread I unchecked all of my mods and started going through them one-by-one. I ran into the same issue with the hillside mod. The main "hillside.esm" works fine. It's the 'hillside0_3.esp" file that crashes it. I haven't turned the autosave back on yet, but if that changes anything I'll post back.

• 4 weeks later...

Got this CTD on Save problem myself. I removed all mods I had, 3 mods, all textures, and clean install. Still crashes randomly on any kind of save. Auto, manual or quick. I think its the latest patches that have killed Skyrim for some people. I dare not even play it anymore. I am gonna revert to 1.0 when it worked like a charm. These are my current PC specs.

Windows XP 32 Bit / Windows 7 Home Edition 32 Bit

4 GB Ram (reads 3.85 on either OS)

nVidia GeForce GT240

Dual Core Processor (4GB something, still powerful as hell thogh!)

I got 2 seperade H-drives for the OS systems, and Skyrim crashes on either one no matter what I do. I swapped for a 6 GB briefly to test on the Win 7. Still CTD. And the crashes are getting more and more frequend. IMPOSSIBLE to play. I wish any of the solutions in this thread would help, but nope. Hope I helped others in some way though!