Changing Clothes/Armor for NPCs(including companions)

HiddenRanger

I keep seeing people ask about this but answering in the back of the thread doesn't seem to help anyone but the few that bother to look. So... ill try to explain here.

First- Open console with ~ key

Second- click on NPC and type "inv" without quotes. This shows you the codes for the armor that they have on.

Third- Locate the pieces(and their code) that you want to remove and type "removeitem (codehere) 1" It should look something like this..... removeitem 4d3f5 1

********Important********

You must leave at least one original piece of armor on them in order for the clothes to not reset back to what they were originally wearing. I like to leave boots or gloves as they don't have as much impact on overall appearance as the chest piece and helmet.

~~~~For Companion~~~~

Fourth- exit console and give them the armor in game normally. You can then remove and swap clothes anytime you want. If you dont have the armor you want to give them and dont want to buy/look for it just follow the normal NPC instructions below.

~~~~For normal NPC~~~~

Fourth- To give them new armor look up the code for what armor you want to give them either from a list or by typing "help keyword 4* example....To look for a white run's guard armor type help whiterun 4 . You can use the page up and down keys to navigate.

Fifth- Once you find the code open the console, click on the npc, type "additem (codehere) 1" Example..... additem 4d3dd 1

I think that about covers it. I hope that helps. The BIG thing is to leave one original piece on them.

****A tip for getting a full outfit on someone. IF they have a shield it counts as an original piece. So remove all clothes give them the full outfit you want them to have and then just give them 2 handed weapons only. That way the shield is never pulled out.

Edited by HiddenRanger

You forgot to mention that with NPCs if you leave the cell and come back you will find them naked and not in the clothes you put on them. :confused:

If you make them into a follower then they will stay in the clothes.

http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/topic/500916-turn-sylgja-or-almost-any-npc-into-a-follower/

He also discarded to mention that if you use the "removeitem" console code to remove clothing currently being worn by a NPC, the NPC's inventory will evaluate itself and spawn multiples of any standard carried items, including other clothing. So if you were to remove lets say a pair of gauntlets, the cuirass or any other type of clothing (or item for that matter) will spawn once more on the NPC making it impossible to strip them from their entire ensemble. In order for this to work, you have to make sure the NPC is not using the item or piece of clothing you're trying to remove. It is wise to use the command "equipitem" on the desired character to force them to wear the respective clothing type followed by using the command "showinventory" to locate the item codes you wish to remove. Then it's just simple use of the "removeitem" code. Another added benefit is that with the use of the "equipitem" code you force the NPC to wear that specific piece of clothing, which makes it less likely that he or she will be found naked or back in their original slacks when the cell in reentered.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

`

Why not use the NPC editor by Foretrenty to change the default clothes to what you want? and if you are doing 10 or more you can use tessnip to copy and paste all the separate .esp files into 1.

I've tried doing that very thing with the Creation Kit, by editing the inventory for Lydia. I've opened the Creation Kit and edited her default armor, removing it completely, along with her inventory, saved it and gave her armor to what I wanted her to wear. But somewhere along the way I'd given her stuff to carry, and somehow a pair of boots from the blind elf like creatures in a cave became apart of her inventory (I can't remember what they're called) and I can't get rid of them. I take them away, give her better armor and I turn around and she's got those crappy boots back on.. ..it's really starting to piss me off.

`

Why not use the NPC editor by Foretrenty to change the default clothes to what you want? and if you are doing 10 or more you can use tessnip to copy and paste all the separate .esp files into 1.

I've tried doing that very thing with the Creation Kit, by editing the inventory for Lydia. I've opened the Creation Kit and edited her default armor, removing it completely, along with her inventory, saved it and gave her armor to what I wanted her to wear. But somewhere along the way I'd given her stuff to carry, and somehow a pair of boots from the blind elf like creatures in a cave became apart of her inventory (I can't remember what they're called) and I can't get rid of them. I take them away, give her better armor and I turn around and she's got those crappy boots back on.. ..it's really starting to piss me off.

Wow old post lol.

OK I wouldnt suggest NPC editor or tesVsnip anymore.

CK instructions:

1. go to the Outfit section. right click create new.

2. In the Outfit box that pops up add something unigue and easy to find like 00LydiaGear.

3. Go to the LeveledItem section and create new. (Level lists because Outfits will not allow you to remove something if you accidently add the wrong one)

4. In the ID of the new LeveledItem add something easy to find and remember like 00LydiaOutfitBoots.

5. repeat steps 3 and 4 for each part of the clothes or armor.

6. Drag and drop those level lists into the Outfit you created earlier.

7. Open the NPC you want to be wearing the outfit.

8. go to the Inventory tab and change the Default outfit to the new Outfit with the new level lists.

9. add the armor or clothing items to the new level lists.

10. Save and exit the CK.

Outfits must contain only items from the Armor section, DO NOT ADD WEAPONS OR ANYTHING ELSE lol. Level lists because if you later decide that your NPC needs a fresh set of clothes or you put the wrong ring in the outfit, just delete the part inside the level list and drag and drop a new one. NPC's that you already met may not use the new outfit, if they are a follower remove anything you gave them and use the console command "resurrect" without quotes on them. if they are a generic NPC just use the same command on them.