Here's a fun question for you all...

AuroraMoon

So here's a scenario for you:

You end up in the same situation as the vault dweller from Vault 111, minus the dead spouse and missing baby. You just woke up from your long sleep, and the end of the world as you knew it just passed you by. It is now your mission to start building a new civilization, a new settlement right where you live currently.

Now... where in your state or city would you start building? Would you start rebuilding the old house you used to live in, or would you rather just leave everything behind and restart your life elsewhere.

I live in North Dakota, and I think we have plenty of interesting buildings that could be fortified enough to stand against super mutants, raiders and the like. For instance, the capitol building in Bismarck is the prime perfect place to start a settlement even if the building itself was damaged in the war. It's got fortified underground tunnels, a huge grassy front lawn and the like that would be perfect for farming, etc.
I mean, look at this s#*!: http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000d8yFgzujcD0/s/645/0306-1347.jpg
You can't tell me that if you walled off that entire section that it would make for a dream fallout 4 settlement. and the damaged town around this capitol would be good for salvaging materials, etc.

I'm interested to hear about your wasteland survival plans for your own state. :)

That's a pretty good choice. It's at a slight distance from the rest of the city, so once you cut down the tree stumps you'd have a pretty good line of fire too.

As a Londoner, I'd probably go for the Tower of London. It's symbolic. It also has plenty of walls and bridges, there's some green open areas for farming, and it's close to the river. Plus if you're settlers piss you off, you have all the medieval torture devices you need to keep them in line ;-)

In the Fallout 4 world? I'd go live in a big city behind a lot of guards, and in that city i'd fortify my home further, probably with robots. Which is what I do in f4! :D
You are more likely to survive with numbers in fallout 4, just with how many people are living in one small area armed and looking for blood. With how cheap those none power turrets are though i'd have a few hundred of them, and offer to secure up the city with another hundred, turret walls! I'd setup raider farming zones as raiders are in unlimited supply and so are turret bullets, living off the loot, which is what I picture myself in game doing now :D

In a real survival situation, and nuclear fallout. Obviously you avoid the surface, and do the opposite of what most people are doing in this game, digging down, setting up hydroponics etc. Only going up when you have to for supplies. Exposure to radiation in real life and being shot at, is a lot different to the game :D. We don't heal that fast heh.

Edited by Markmid

Seems like you didn't understand the scenario I set up. obviously you were frozen for most of the worst bits of nuclear fallout, but now things have settled down. And now it's mostly safe to go outside. in fact according to real-world stats it would only take 97 years for the fallout to be completely harmless, and for you to be able to go above ground again. So it would only take two generations of living in a vault before you're able to go back out again.

And in an realistic situation all those vaults wouldn't last too long, even without all the psycho experiments they did in the game. I mean, think about it-- it's very complex to do underground living right, especially if you wanna do it indefinitely. For one thing you would need to find a way to create artificial sunlight that was almost as good as the real thing... because apparently if human beings don't get some sun once in a while, they face tons of health problems. and let's not even get into the logistics of underground farming without having it use up all the power that was supposed to be for your vault.
So logically it's the best bet for the vault to just kick everyone out once they've determined that it's now (mostly) safe on the surface.

the purpose of an good vault is to keep the human population, the seeds of plants, etc safe until it's time to restart civilization.

Hmm - interesting question. The cold world scenario called for my tiny country to be flattened by nukes - 3 should do it- or overrun by Soviet forces within 24 hours.

But a vault and 200 years........? I live far out in the country side so the logical thing to do would be to search out the nearest huge farm and fortify one - or more- of the buildings. Probably get the wind turbine going (We're talking Fallout logic here. Things don't wear down in 200 years...........) A modified - electrified- garden tractor ought to be plausible provided you've got the skills. On a farm that size there would be all sorts of spare parts and a well equipped workshop.

Then it would be a matter of working a patch of land close to - or in between- the buildings. And then of course hunt for livestock gone wild -and deer of course- in the countryside/woods.

So here's a scenario for you:

You end up in the same situation as the vault dweller from Vault 111, minus the dead spouse and missing baby. You just woke up from your long sleep, and the end of the world as you knew it just passed you by. It is now your mission to start building a new civilization, a new settlement right where you live currently.

Now... where in your state or city would you start building? Would you start rebuilding the old house you used to live in, or would you rather just leave everything behind and restart your life elsewhere.

I live in North Dakota, and I think we have plenty of interesting buildings that could be fortified enough to stand against super mutants, raiders and the like. For instance, the capitol building in Bismarck is the prime perfect place to start a settlement even if the building itself was damaged in the war. It's got fortified underground tunnels, a huge grassy front lawn and the like that would be perfect for farming, etc.

I mean, look at this s***: http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000d8yFgzujcD0/s/645/0306-1347.jpg

You can't tell me that if you walled off that entire section that it would make for a dream fallout 4 settlement. and the damaged town around this capitol would be good for salvaging materials, etc.

I'm interested to hear about your wasteland survival plans for your own state. :smile:

I wouldn't stay in America. Since all disaster movies and games are centralised in the States and the rest of the world isn't mentioned I would repair a boat and travel to a far distant place like Australia where there were no Raiders, Gunners or BOS.

tbh if I woke up in Vault 111, I wouldn't start building settlements. I'd probably hop on my horse (she'll still be alive, trust me) and ride north, which probably hasn't been bombed because Canada isn't run by a bunch of belligerent f*#@wits. I understand that they might not be willing to accept whatever trash blows in from the wasteland. Luckily, I'm not trash. I'm a perfectly preserved specimen from the distant past, I have three college degrees in what is probably forgotten knowledge, I'm young and in good health, I'm good at hockey, and I'm adorable. My horse is also adorable. We'll get in.

If I absolutely had to take the settlement route, I would begin by hopping on my horse (like seriously if there is only one creature left alive on this planet it's going to be my horse) and riding south until I get somewhere with a more temperate climate, better rainfall. I'd find the remains of a small town. Something with a nice, dense main street like small towns tend to have ( http://www.topvaluereviews.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/berlin-maryland-small-town-main-streets.jpg ) but not a hell of a lot outside of that. I don't want a lot of unused buildings around my perimeter for bad guys to take up residence.
Anyway, I like the main street idea for a couple of reasons. They're buildings that are made to last, plus they tend to be laid out with a convenient "shop on bottom floor, living areas above" arrangement, and their dense placement with only the narrowest alleys makes them easier to fortify.
Hopefully this will be one of those towns where there's main street and basically nothing else. Having some open/derelict space just outside the settlement walls would be ideal for setting up farms. Easier to protect when they're nearby, and less time wasted on transportation.

Edited by TheSpaceShuttleChallenger