• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Dark0ne

Dark0ne

Webmaster

• Admin
  • 21,115 posts
Download limit of 50 per file
In order to prevent bots, bandwidth leechers and dolts that use stupidly aggressive and insulting download managers, a download cap of 50 downloads PER FILE has been enforced on all downloads to both members and guests. Members who download a single file more than 50 times are moved to the member group "Suspects" for investigation by an admin with a view to a full account ban. Guests who download a file more than 50 times are liable to be IP banned.

Pujangga

Pujangga

The Underdog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts
Is there any time span between the downloads?
For example:
I had a mod X (put a whatever name here) downloaded weeks ago but due to harddisk storage limit I deleted it, then when I have a new space for download, weeks later I download it again.

Will I get suspected for it?

Dark0ne

Dark0ne

Webmaster

• Admin
  • 21,115 posts
I don't think you'd need to do that 50 times, would you?

Storm Raven

Storm Raven

*the old man smiles*

• Premium Member
  • 563 posts
Seems to me that what needs to be limited is the number of of guest allowed at one time. If Guests > 250 or 500 then redirect them to page that tells them to come back later, and recommends that they register to avoid problems in future.

The times I have seen 1000+ guests there were never more than 100 registered users online. Registration is free and provides many benefits.

How hard would this be to implement?

:thanks:

Pujangga

Pujangga

The Underdog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts
Of course not :no:
Sometimes I can't keep up with my own files. Sloppy I am, kekekekeke ^^
Awrite, I guess I have to sort my downloaded files before accidentally get suspected ;D

WoogieMonster

WoogieMonster

Wo Bist Du

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts
Okay, I'll be the noob on this one: Why on earth would someone need to download the same file 50 times?

Murxx

Murxx

Journeyman

• Supporter
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
another thought:

what if a file gets updated 50 times and i download every version. will i get banned or is there a counter reset after each file-update?

tempo tempo

tempo tempo

Stranger

• Supporter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
hi. I got hit with trying to download a file 50 times it was the Appachi Goddess Store big file well any ways i have a Cable modem and every time i tried to download the file it Freeze. :confused:
i really wanted all those cool clothes. well now what do i do. This is my first post in the forum.in any forum.I think the file is too big i had no proplems with small files mostly the big one.I do love this site and Oblivion

batlham

batlham

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

hi. I got hit with trying to download a file 50 times it was the Appachi Goddess Store big file well any ways i have a Cable modem and every time i tried to download the file it Freeze. :confused:
i really wanted all those cool clothes. well now what do i do. This is my first post in the forum.in any forum.I think the file is too big i had no proplems with small files mostly the big one.I do love this site and Oblivion

You tried 50+ times to get that???? Granted its a nice mod...
If after 5 trys.. I try something new. What browser are you using? Are you using a download manager??
If you are using internet explorer...try firefox.. or the other way around if thats the case.
If you are using a Download manager like Getright....stop using it because it is probly not set up right.
If its doing it for you...it might be doing it to everryone...ASK FOR HELP.

The most I ever had to download something was about 7 times....because the file was comming up smaller than listed...and was a corrupt archive.
sometimes I redownload because I forgot I already got the file... LOL :)

People...I don't think this limit of 50 a file also includes if someone updates their mod with a new file. ....if they have 10 NEW updates...thats 10 differnt files. Each would be counted as a new download.
Lest I hope I am correct in that thinking.

It should just be counting the connection you make to the link to that file...and each update has a differnt link.

If you use Getright or other DL managers....you will register TWO downloads.
So BE CAREFUL using a download manager.
One count is registered for the click in the browser that is caught and added by getright....and the other count for the download of the file in getright.
Sometimes, they will goofup and keep hitting a file over and over...then you are screwed. You will hit 50 in a minute or two.

So..what have we learned??
One, there is no real reason to download something 50 times. Unless you are a bot sent to hurt nexus.
Two, if it wont download one way...try another.
Three, if you DONT know what you are doing...don't use a download manager.
Four, No need to freak out... this protection is for your own good in the long run. We want nexus to stick around . :)

Storm Raven

Storm Raven

*the old man smiles*

• Premium Member
  • 563 posts
After a some investigation,

I found the following information relevant to the DDoS problem.

An article that provides answers to the DDoS attacks…

First Firewalls, Now Botwalls, What Will They Think of Next?

A company that provides software to prevent them…

FireEye Anti-botnet Protection System

Yes, I overreacted to a threat to this community.
A community I care deeply about and stand ready to defend.

After all, I am a member of the Blades. Lol.
Will anyone here question the Dark0ne's authority over this domain?

I Think Not.

I did the only thing I could think of by trying to report the events as they occurred.

I thought the time date stamping of posting those events as they transpired might help in the determination of the threat.

I did not know the defenses or web metrics that were at the disposal of higher command.

I reacted to the threat by sounding the alarm, and was humiliated by the criticism for spamming.

IMHO, this was a counterproductive reaction to someone trying to help.

The IBM School of Management in Atlanta taught me not to downplay threats,

But to organize human resources in the research for the solutions to neutralize them.

Dark0ne you have access to some very gifted individuals in this community.

Generals do not fight battles by themselves, they ask questions, and set goals.

You might be surprised at what your soldiers can accomplish.

Judging from the measures the Dark0ne is taking to prevent these attacks,

I hope he will find these links useful.

I can be very useful in technical matters. Once I am briefed on the problems, I will seek solutions. As will others, just give us direction on how we can help.

I meant no harm, and I mean no disrespect.

Sincerely,

Stormraven

---

Page loaded in: 0.879 seconds