Expanded Dragons, Bigger Battles

Zinnorokkrah

I have a few new ideas for this after reading about True-naming and demonology in the D&D Tome of Magic.

Basically, True-naming is a magic system built around the concept that the true word for something grants you power over it; However, if you were to say these words backwards, it would create an opposite, and sometimes bizarre effect.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060303a&page=8

I'm wondering if this system can be applied to the Dragon Shouts.

Then, there's the fact that Dragon's names are made up of Shouts. Demon summoning works similar in D&D; You learn the demon's name, and summon it to bind it to your will. However, getting the name isn't easy, since the abyssal demons keep their true names secret, and kill anyone who knows it. So what if there were some Dragons that sought to keep their names secret?

Such as an ncient Dragon Titan (Like Alduin) who is forcibly summoned by their true name (much to their displeasure), and so kills anything that meets it in person, or goes by the name of a single word such as "Tempest" or "Glacier". Or take it a different direction, to where a Dragon cannot become a Dragon Lord of a hold without asserting their dominance through their name? Maybe they like being challenged by those foolish enough to call them? Or mayhaps the other Dragons won't serve a nameless Dragon Lord?

Finally, I have an idea for a greater power/shout to make fights with Ancient Dragons and Dragon Titans worth it: Say you've defeated this Dragon Titan who only calls himself "Ember". He's a gargantuan beast, his scales are made of magma and brimstone, and his breath reeks of sulfur. After defeating him, he realizes how powerful the Dragonborn is, to defeat Alduin, as well as himself, and reveals his true name. Well, when his name is spoken regularly, it functions similar to Call Dragon; Summoning him from the skies to rain down fire and meteors from above.

However, when inverted, he bursts from the ground to devastate all land opponents with earthquakes and searing magma spikes.

Essentially, one would call the Dragon Titan to the air, and the other would call them to the ground (or even to the water), depending on what the Titan is to represent. It doesn't even have to function like a summon spell. It could simply be a called air-strike, or a terrifying shockwave attack.

I'm hoping that with the addition of other flying beasties besides dragons, the Call Dragon and other aerial-assault shouts will be more useful.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like your thoughts there Ixion...

The voice mastery of the Dovakin does seem kind of shallow...

I would like it if there was an entire line of magic emerging from using the voice.

I'm thinking different strength depending on if you whisper, talk or shout as well as the ability to combine words in a way that is less limiting..

So you would whisper when sneaking, talk when not in combat and shout when in combat pretty much.

But I think that those thoughts are outside the scope of this mod.. :P

Those are brilliant suggestions, but unfortunately impossible. The idea of a dragon lord hiding his name is an interesting one... perhaps I'll explore it at some time or another. So now, without further ado, I give you the dragon lord of Winterhold- Grahkrindrog. Also, the updates I made are minor, and in all the previous posts. Mainly just assigning certain shouts and spells to either ground use or sky use as in the mod 'Deadly Dragons'.

Grahkrindrog

'Fo Krah Diin'- Ice-Breathing [in the air]

'Fus Ro Dah'- Unrelenting Force [in the air]

'Wuld Nah Kest'- Whirlwind Sprint [On the ground]

'Zun Haal Viik'- Disarm

'Iiz Slen Nus'- Ice Form [On the ground]

'Strun Bah Qo'- Storm Call [in the air]

'Lok Vah Koor'- Clear Skies [When attacked with 'Storm Call']

'Tiid Klo Ul'- Slow Time [On the ground]

'Alok Hevno Bein'- Tempest [Translation: Arise Brutal Foul] {In the air}

Can cast 'Lightning Storm' [On the ground], 'Wall of Storms' [in the air], 'Blizzard' [On the ground], and 'Wall of Frost' [in the air]

Taunts

"Thurri du hin sille ko Sovngarde!" Translation: My lord [Roughly] will devour your soul in Sovngarde!

"Brit grah. [beautiful Battle] I'd forgotten what fine sport you mortals could provide!"

"It's to be a real fight then. Good!"

"I am Grahkrindrog- the Butcher of Winterhold and Eastmarch! Feel the power of my Thu'um!"

"You have beaten other dovahjun, Dovahkiin, but you have not defeated me!"

"Fonaar zeymah! Evenaar fal joore!" Translation: Charge brothers! Extinguish the mortals!

I'm envisioning his lair being below Winterhold, along the cliffs and sea, among the ruin from The Great Collapse. He'll likely perch on walls and towers, cast spells and use shouts to hinder your escape. Note that this would be if you find him before the quest 'Dovahfeyn', before which he'll be essential. During the quest, you'll fight him in Dawnstar and you can later head to his lair and uncover any secrets that may be within.

Edited by Zinnorokkrah

I really like this indeed! But I don't think that Dragon's should have more than one Shout.

Isn't the only reason that you can shout more than one shout because you are absorbing the Dragon's Souls? So if a Dragon has only one Soul then that means they really only have one Soul Ability / Shout?

Other than that... I'm actually rather disappointed that this isn't what the actual game's story is like.

I'm working on getting a team together. :thumbsup:

@Colonial: Like the Greybeards, Dragons learn shouts- however the dragons learn them via instinct, and their power grows based on understanding of the word and meditation. The Dragonborn can take a shortcut, and upon absorbing a dragon's soul, having access to all its power and knowledge, the Dragonborn can channel it into one word so he can understand it as well as a dragon with no effort. As such, dragons can learn shouts just like the player, it's just they have more time to learn and to practice.

I like this Grok fellow.. pure storm and cold. Any ideas on where he will be introduced?

What do you need from team members?

I have never actually modded TES before but I am a professional programmer and think it should be simple enough to do scripting or whatever...

I have no experience in modeling or texturing however..