Your own Molecular Relay

pra

I actually was considering giving that a try myself, but considering my lack of time and motivation, I guess I'll post it here, maybe someone else will find the idea useful.

Basically, I was thinking of a buildable, upgradeable molecular relay, mostly for providing fast travel in survival mode:

- Relay Hub: the main part. Expensive to build, requires about 100 power (wasteland workshop adds the fusion reactor which just gives you 100, vault-tec workshop has the super reactor which generates 500, I think it's in order to add a few devices which actually require such quantities), and you can only have one per worldspace (or rather, one should be enough, but you need at least one). On it's own, it doesn't do anything, though.

- Relay terminal: cheaper, less power-hungry access points for other settlements. Can teleport you to the hub or any other terminal. (The hub can teleport you to terminals, too, of course). You could use your pip-boy to fast travel to other valid destinations as soon as you stand on the platform, or you use a connected terminal (or an integrated one, like the eyebot pod) to select a destination. The latter might become more interesting for travel to other worldspaces.

- Advanced matter receptor: needs to be build in the same settlement as the hub and connected to it via wire. Allows you to fast travel from any exterior area to the hub. Should probably again require quite a bit of power, and maybe a higher science perk than the hub itself.

- Advanced matter transmitter: that one might be too cheaty. It would allow you to teleport to any discovered map marker, basically re-enabling fast travel. Although, it might still be ok for the late game. I mean, when you are over level 100, walking through mutant-infested territory isn't a challenge anymore anyway.

- Long-range communcation antenna: connects hubs in different worldspaces (aka, commonwealth, far harbor, nuka world, or any mod-added). Again, must be connected to the hubs via wire.

- Reinforcement system: maybe just a desk with a radio, where you need to assign a settler, and random minutemen NPCs hang around. Allows you to craft minutemen relay grenades. Each grenade causes a small team to relay in, shoot everyone, then relay out.

• 3 weeks later...

I was also looking for something like this.

A few thoughts though:

1. The teleport system is cripplingly expensive power wise... I was thinking 500 at the core and 100 at the substations

2. Make it require a visited the institute flag

3. Material wise it should me much more expensive than the plot TP because its permanent.

I was also looking for something like this.

A few thoughts though:

1. The teleport system is cripplingly expensive power wise... I was thinking 500 at the core and 100 at the substations

2. Make it require a visited the institute flag

3. Material wise it should me much more expensive than the plot TP because its permanent.

1. not sure. Probably a yes if you have the Vault-Tec DLC, that would give that Vault-Tec Super Reactor something to do :D

Maybe more like about 400 for the core and 80-90 for the substations. That way these fusion reactors from that other DLC which give you 100 power would become more useful, too. They mostly power the relay terminal, but still have enough to spare for some lights or turrets.

2. yes, definitely. Something like: you have seen the plans made by Virgil, you have seen the device in the institute up close, and with enough scientific knowledge (aka, levels in the science perk), you can figure out the missing parts yourself.

Or the mod places a "Molecular Relay Schematics" item somewhere in the Institute.

3. another yes, definitely. To make it even more difficult, I would make it require at least a few actual items in addition to components. High-powered magnets, biometric scanners, military-grade circuit boards, such things.