Why Skyrim... WHY!

Combine99

Just a lil rant about Skyrim

I cant believe this... I just cant believe this!!! This is ridiculous,,, simply preposterous!!! I have been playing a corrupt game for several months now... a CORRUPT game! I have just finished an extended extensive playthrough (10+ hours) of the Vigilant mod where whenever I wanted to talk to someone or loot a corpse I had to hit tilde and type "activate player". I tried to fix it... Oh did I try to fix it I even removed all my mods and tested it with them and without them and still I could not fix it. Eventually I just gave up and played the game that way thinking oh well I guess it's just the mod never realizing the true culprit was the game itself not the mod or an incompatibility or even a stupid mistake on my part NO... IT WAS DAWNGUARD!!!! Freekin' DAWNGUARD!! OOH I wanna punch Dawnguard straight in the MEOWTH!!! I finally figured it out now when just by luck and process of elimination I tried turning Dawnguard off just as a CRAZY idea and lo and behold the culprit was discovered. I thought verifying the game cache was supposed to fix any issues in the game files like say a CORRUPTED DLC?! Wellp now I'm re-installing Skyrim again so there you have it... watch out for Dawnguard it's a sneaky bugger.

PS: Despite that drawback VIGITANT is a fantastic mod that everyone should try out!

Dawnguard must have been corrupted by a mod. That happens. Verifing game cache only scans for missing files not corrupt ones.

This is literally impossible

Wait. If a mod overwrites some of DG's files, and one or more of those new files turns out to be poorly written and causes CTD or an event to fail (like the OP mentioned) -then doesn't that count as a "corruption"?

Just asking.

then doesn't that count as a "corruption"?

No. Dawnguard's original files are untouched. They are just "inactive" because they are overwritten by a mod.

Ah. "Inactive" rather than "erased". Got it. Thanks.

I should have known that. *Hits self with D'oh hammer.*

So, somewhere in the OP's original mod order was most likely a mod that caused the issue.