Static replacer mesh not replacing. [help needed]

Impytus

No they won't break the game mess up save they just conflict with other mods.

Your other question, That all depends on what they do and edit in the cell could be a conflict both ways (ITM or Disable and replace) But you need to make an edit to get your replacer to show.

Awesome, thanks. I'll give it a go.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry about getting a bit technical, the things I mentioned are not visible in the CK. They aren't really needed for the most part, the method chucksteel mentioned will work fine for your mod.

The previs stuff me and chucksteel mentioned doesn't matter for your mod, since you are editing a mesh and not deleting one. Unless you significantly alter the shape of the building (by removal, adding stuff can't cause previs issues), you can ignore it.

For the collision, I think you have to create the different collisions (wood, metal, etc...) individually, and combine them all in your model (either using 3ds max, or nifskope). This is based off of the only meshes I have seen made using Bethesda's tools (which are not even close to the ones Bethesda themselves use, no matter what they say).

Also, if the mesh you are editing includes the supports for the rocket, you won't be able to shoot through the "holes" unless you edit the mesh to actually have holes. Currently it uses something related to alpha channels to make that part transparent, and when using their plugin it won't be able to tell that there should be no collision there.

If you want an attempt at a clearer explanation:

bUseComebinedObjects=0 is a line people can add to their Fallout4Cutom.ini file, and it will disable combined meshes in the entire game. This causes performance issues, but is useful for people who use mods like Conquest that let you build a base anywhere (and thus, it would be helpful to be able to scrap everything everywhere).

The method chucksteel recommends (which is the one I use in my own mods) makes use of a workaround Bethesda built into the game engine. For some reason I don't understand, Bethesda made it so the workaround is disabled if you have the above mentioned ini edit. Because the workaround disables "occlusion planes"*, this can cause problems for scrap mods especially that make use of the workaround.

Again, this is only really a problem for mods that remove/move or let you move/remove objects. If you are just editing a mesh (without introducing holes in formerly blocking walls), you can use the workaround without worry.

*occlusion planes are a performance saving method the engine uses, it causes things that would be blocked from view to not be rendered. This is easier on your computer, but can cause things to flicker in and out if the object that was attached to the occlusion plane is removed while the plane stays there, since you will be able to see the things disappearing.

No i really appreciate it. Im trying to learn how all this works. Sometimes it s a little difficult to understand things but im trying.

So i mentioned above that actually I will probably have to delete things from the cell. Does that mean that this previs stuff actually will apply to me? Also what do you mean exactly by "significantly alter the shape of the building"? What I am trying to do is create a flat top of the building (no slope). Ive removed a few other bits and bobs, but is that significant enough?

As for collision, i think i chose the "metal" one, for the roof (which is what im currently testing). Are you saying that it is likely that the "metal" option doesnt allow bullet holes?

While on that subject, i noticed that it is recommended to use boxes and cylinders instead of a mesh collider. Understandably so. but for something as complex as this i find it hard to believe that anybody would mash together tons of the primitives to create the collision, did you just use a mesh collision for yours?

thanks for the further explanation, It makes so much more sense now.

I more meant removing walls and things like that (i.e. removing parts of the building that used to block someone's view), changing it from sloped to flat should be fine. As for deleting stuff, if you are deleting the hedges you definitely have to worry about previs issues for people using the ini edit. Since you are deleting it in a plugin, instead of in-game, it should be fine for anyone not using the edit.

I think there are a few different metal ones, some of which don't allow bullet holes and some that do. I haven't actually made any custom collisions, so I can't help you (Ethreon helpfully made the new collision for my no-pump version, and I've helped him with a few things myself). I think the "mesh collider" version of collision is "bigger", and thus would impact performance more. Since it is only going to be at the Sanctuary Red Rocket, I doubt it will matter.

I more meant removing walls and things like that (i.e. removing parts of the building that used to block someone's view), changing it from sloped to flat should be fine. As for deleting stuff, if you are deleting the hedges you definitely have to worry about previs issues for people using the ini edit. Since you are deleting it in a plugin, instead of in-game, it should be fine for anyone not using the edit.

I think there are a few different metal ones, some of which don't allow bullet holes and some that do. I haven't actually made any custom collisions, so I can't help you (Ethreon helpfully made the new collision for my no-pump version, and I've helped him with a few things myself). I think the "mesh collider" version of collision is "bigger", and thus would impact performance more. Since it is only going to be at the Sanctuary Red Rocket, I doubt it will matter.

Ahh right, i get it. The occlusion would be hiding things behind the walls and thus removing them would not force display the hidden things. Thanks

Aren't you supposed to not delete references in the game? Hide them with a Z offset of -30000 and you're good to go.

Why is that exactly?

Also can you confirm the stuff VlitS is saying about the collisions, or answer any of my questions regarding that?

Mesh collision is what the name says - an identical copy of the referenced mesh that provides a collision. It can be parts of the mesh, or whole mesh. Due to the generally complex shapes of meshes, it involves a lot more calculations from your computer when there are collision interactions, so theoretically it means more power going to waste.

Is it bad to delete references, the game needs them, other mods might need them. It creates CTD opportunities. Never delete base game references.

ok but what I wanted to know is whether or not it is common usage to use mesh collision instead of several primatives (ie. box or cylinder) combined to make up the shape.

Also is VlitS correct about the material type being the thing that determines bulletholes.. etc..If so can you recommend materials i should use?

The collision material determines the interaction FX. You use the material that should match the appearance of that object - metal, wood etc.

I can't answer your other question, but I suspect beth used mostly mesh collisions for most of their objects, which is kinda shitty considering they're telling us to never do it.

Edited by Ethreon

The collision material determines the interaction FX. You use the material that should match the appearance of that object - metal, wood etc.

I can't answer your other question, but I suspect beth used mostly mesh collisions for most of their objects, which is kinda shitty considering they're telling us to never do it.

So you are saying that it is in fact the thing that causes bulletholes and explosion marks?

That was my gut feeling too. which is why i've been torn. Do you use mesh collisions yourself?

Is it bad to delete references, the game needs them, other mods might need them. It creates CTD opportunities. Never delete base game references.

Oh i forgot to confrim. are we talking about the same thing here? when you say references do you mean the actual form id? it should be safe to delete an object from a cell while leaving the form existing, no? or are you saying that is still not a good idea?