Skyrim SE & NIFs: aka help-a-scrub-day.

Sable17

So... I know jack about nifs, textures, etc. I have the artistic talent of a potato. I've only used modders resources for my mods... annnd I'm having trouble figuring out why a potion mesh is freaking the heck out in-game (twitching colors on the mesh). The CK tells me errors were reported in the NIF, but that's not much to go on.

Does anyone know what exactly Skyrim: SE (and by extension Fallout 4 I imagine) did to NIFs? And could anyone point me in the right direction to perhaps fix this?

I'm also having trouble with NIFs, but mine aren't even displaying. All I'm getting is the usual large square with an exclamation point that you get when something isn't right. Unfortunately I'm not sure how to fix the meshes right now (or even if they can be fix).

Edit: I was able to get my meshes into the game by importing and exporting them with 3ds Max. That fixed whatever was wrong with the meshes.

Edited by Kalell

Does anyone know what exactly Skyrim: SE (and by extension Fallout 4 I imagine) did to NIFs? And could anyone point me in the right direction to perhaps fix this?

Nothing I believe, Nifs I have built for vanilla skyrim, still work. I never really saw the issue you described (twitching colors on the mesh), so I cant really give you any advice. I can think of an issue that would cause flickering shadows, but that was only true to rigged meshes, it was caused if the bone count of a vertex would be > 4

I've been poking about looking at what is inside the SSE nifs, trying to see why some old nifs work and others don't.

The nifs in SSE have a different structure internally, using block types that didn't previously exist. I believe it was done to make them load faster. Instead of an NiTriShape with a dependent NiTriShapeData block holding the vertices, triangles and normals, there is now a single BS shape block that holds the vertices and the vertex data is now 4-vectors instead of 3-vectors. I don't understand how that works. I have a hunch that the normals are now implicit and computed after the nif has loaded. Certainly, the files are smaller so something must have been taken out.

SSE has been made backwards-compatible with old nifs up to a point but some old nifs won't work at all. In particular, nifs with stripified meshes (NiTriStrips) don't work.

If anyone has any links to more information about this, I'd be interested.

Facegen nifs are problematic. My character creations all have missing eyes and mouth mesh. The hair is missing on most as well (KS or SG, don't remember the sources). Here is the nif comparison between Skyrim and SSE facegens:

Old (12)

BSFadeNode
NiNode
NiTriShape
NiTriShapeData
NiSkinInstance
NiSkinData
NiSkinPartition
BSLightingShaderProperty
BSShaderTextureSet
NIAlphaProperty
BSDismemberSkinInstance
NiAdditionalGeometryData

New (10)

BSFadeNode
NiNode
BSDynamicTriShape
NiSkinInstance
NiSkinData
NiSkinPartition
BSLightingShaderProperty
BSShaderTextureSet
NIAlphaProperty
BSDismemberSkinInstance

NiAdditionalGeometryData was used for the eyes, but I'm not understanding what the other issues are yet. Regenerating them in the CK is not an option, since they were created in Racemenu.

Facegen nifs are problematic. My character creations all have missing eyes and mouth mesh. The hair is missing on most as well (KS or SG, don't remember the sources). Here is the nif comparison between Skyrim and SSE facegens:

It's a shame. I really like a lot of your mods. The entire reason I came here was because I was looking for a solution to fixing one of your mods.