Skyrim Special Edition site launch

SirSalami

I have a lot of concerns and questions just like everyone else who is going to give the SSE a try. A big one is will it replace regular Skyrim or will it stand alone as a separate game so that everyone out there who tries it and it doesn't work on their PC can go right back to regular Skyrim. I've Google searched this issue and no source I found were there any 100% Yes or No answers. Also for those that don't know the game is being released at Midnight on the 28th but that is for only one time zone on the planet. For me I am EST so I will be getting it on the 27th around 8pm. My computer should play it as I have mid range specs as defined by the minimum and recommended specs and I am going to play it Vanilla first before adding any mods to it to see how it plays untouched. All the other concerns about the game can wait. I want to see how it plays Vanilla on my PC and if it does alright then I will begin to think about all the rest. Edited by Guest

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #43579020. #43579820, #43579830 are all replies on the same post.

Dovahkiin1973 wrote: I have a lot of concerns and questions just like everyone else who is going to give the SSE a try. A big one is will it replace regular Skyrim or will it stand alone as a separate game so that everyone out there who tries it and it doesn't work on their PC can go right back to regular Skyrim. I've Google searched this issue and no source I found were there any 100% Yes or No answers. Also for those that don't know the game is being released at Midnight on the 28th but that is for only one time zone on the planet. For me I am EST so I will be getting it on the 27th around 8pm. My computer should play it as I have mid range specs as defined by the minimum and recommended specs and I am going to play it Vanilla first before adding any mods to it to see how it plays untouched. All the other concerns about the game can wait. I want to see how it plays Vanilla on my PC and if it does alright then I will begin to think about all the rest.
Camonna Tong wrote: It's a separate game than Skyrim. When you install Skyrim Special Edition, Skyrim and all of your mods will still be intact.

From what I hear, the game runs really great and is very well optimized. It features some pretty nice things graphically and immersion wise. For example, according to youtube videos and MrMattyPlays, there is rain and snow clipping now. In other words, there's no need for Real Shelter which can heavily slow down Skyrim because of its script heaviness.
Dominque wrote: Well I would believe if you just download it in a separate directory, it would stand alone you can do that thru Steam>settings>steam library folders and create a new file location, then it should be a "stand alone"

SSE will definitely be a separate, stand-alone installation and will be treated with appropriate file segregation within NMM as well. Personally, I'm going to keep Skyrim Legendary Edition installed alongside SSE, each with their own set of mods, for the foreseeable future. Edited by SirSalami

In response to post #43579020. #43579810 is also a reply to the same post.

Dovahkiin1973 wrote: I have a lot of concerns and questions just like everyone else who is going to give the SSE a try. A big one is will it replace regular Skyrim or will it stand alone as a separate game so that everyone out there who tries it and it doesn't work on their PC can go right back to regular Skyrim. I've Google searched this issue and no source I found were there any 100% Yes or No answers. Also for those that don't know the game is being released at Midnight on the 28th but that is for only one time zone on the planet. For me I am EST so I will be getting it on the 27th around 8pm. My computer should play it as I have mid range specs as defined by the minimum and recommended specs and I am going to play it Vanilla first before adding any mods to it to see how it plays untouched. All the other concerns about the game can wait. I want to see how it plays Vanilla on my PC and if it does alright then I will begin to think about all the rest.
SirSalami wrote: SSE will definitely be a separate installation and will be treated with appropriate file segregation within NMM as well. Personally, I'm going to keep Skyrim Legendary Edition installed alongside SSE for the foreseeable future.

It's a separate game than Skyrim. When you install Skyrim Special Edition, Skyrim and all of your mods will still be intact.

From what I hear, the game runs really great and is very well optimized. It features some pretty nice things graphically and immersion wise. For example, according to youtube videos and MrMattyPlays, there is rain and snow clipping now. In other words, there's no need for Real Shelter which can heavily slow down Skyrim because of its script heaviness.

In response to post #43579020. #43579810, #43579820 are all replies on the same post.

SirSalami wrote: SSE will definitely be a separate, stand-alone installation and will be treated with appropriate file segregation within NMM as well. Personally, I'm going to keep Skyrim Legendary Edition installed alongside SSE for the foreseeable future.
Camonna Tong wrote: It's a separate game than Skyrim. When you install Skyrim Special Edition, Skyrim and all of your mods will still be intact.

Well I would believe if you just download it in a separate directory, it would stand alone you can do that thru Steam>settings>steam library folders and create a new file location, then it should be a "stand alone"

I guess one big question is how our current mods will play out in SSE. Some post say no problem, some say that they will have to be manually reformatted or the game will "Hang".
I guess I will find out when I try to play it Tomorrow night. I am kind of commented now to SSE as I have ordered up grades to my PC (Graphics card an better, larger Disk).

Will the Nexus, and the Mod manager now need a new category for SSE mods? Lots of unknowns right now

In response to post #43579020. #43579810, #43579820, #43579830 are all replies on the same post.

SirSalami wrote: SSE will definitely be a separate, stand-alone installation and will be treated with appropriate file segregation within NMM as well. Personally, I'm going to keep Skyrim Legendary Edition installed alongside SSE, each with their own set of mods, for the foreseeable future.

Dominque wrote: Well I would believe if you just download it in a separate directory, it would stand alone you can do that thru Steam>settings>steam library folders and create a new file location, then it should be a "stand alone"

Comonna Yea I get that.......but.......if you are using mods that are reliant on SKSE not sure that would be a good idea, I'm thinking you would be better off not using old save files, and just starting a new run thru and add compatible mods according.

In response to post #43579020. #43579810, #43579820, #43579830, #43579945 are all replies on the same post.

SirSalami wrote: SSE will definitely be a separate, stand-alone installation and will be treated with appropriate file segregation within NMM as well. Personally, I'm going to keep Skyrim Legendary Edition installed alongside SSE, each with their own set of mods, for the foreseeable future.

Dominque wrote: Comonna Yea I get that.......but.......if you are using mods that are reliant on SKSE not sure that would be a good idea, I'm thinking you would be better off not using old save files, and just starting a new run thru and add compatible mods according.

I'm restarting my saves myself. I can't get Skyrim to run well for me with my 150+ "essential" mods. I approach the 3.2Gb limit really easily even with all of the memory patches and combinations of them. It'll run well for most areas, and then certain areas will CTD. I can fix that by changing up the memory allocation, but then other areas will CTD that didn't before. It's a mess.

In response to post #43579020. #43579810, #43579820, #43579830, #43579945, #43580125 are all replies on the same post.

Dominque wrote: Comonna Yea I get that.......but.......if you are using mods that are reliant on SKSE not sure that would be a good idea, I'm thinking you would be better off not using old save files, and just starting a new run thru and add compatible mods according.
Camonna Tong wrote: I'm restarting my saves myself. I can't get Skyrim to run well for me with my 150+ "essential" mods. I approach the 3.2Gb limit really easily even with all of the memory patches and combinations of them. It'll run well for most areas, and then certain areas will CTD. I can fix that by changing up the memory allocation, but then other areas will CTD that didn't before. It's a mess.

Thank guys for answering that question. I had the question because of the way Steam worded the "free upgrade" if you already own Skyrim and all DLCs. They used the word "upgrade" which made me think OK this is going to transform my regular Skyrim and I will be stuck with the SSE. I want to be stuck with it but still have regular Skyrim because of mods like Enderal. Cool deal and thanks again.

Hopefully, SSE will address/fix the ridiculous C++ Runtime Error R6025 - Pure Virtual Function Call bug that to this day still plagues the original release of Skyrim. Ever since Dawnguard released for Skyrim, that particularly nasty bug has really put a damper on many a user's game experience.

In response to post #43577085. #43577750 is also a reply to the same post.

aero64 wrote: So i need install all of my 5435465465465489 mods from Skyrim to SSE? OMG :(
VarsityChaos wrote: Hey, that's the fun part. You aren't playing Skyrim unless you spend 95% of your time modding your game and 5% seeing if you CTD

you hit it on the nose with that :) Edited by newyevon2