Skyrim Special Edition site launch

SirSalami

In response to post #43579020. #43579810, #43579820, #43579830, #43579945, #43580125, #43580480 are all replies on the same post.

Dovahkiin1973 wrote: I have a lot of concerns and questions just like everyone else who is going to give the SSE a try. A big one is will it replace regular Skyrim or will it stand alone as a separate game so that everyone out there who tries it and it doesn't work on their PC can go right back to regular Skyrim. I've Google searched this issue and no source I found were there any 100% Yes or No answers. Also for those that don't know the game is being released at Midnight on the 28th but that is for only one time zone on the planet. For me I am EST so I will be getting it on the 27th around 8pm. My computer should play it as I have mid range specs as defined by the minimum and recommended specs and I am going to play it Vanilla first before adding any mods to it to see how it plays untouched. All the other concerns about the game can wait. I want to see how it plays Vanilla on my PC and if it does alright then I will begin to think about all the rest.
SirSalami wrote: SSE will definitely be a separate, stand-alone installation and will be treated with appropriate file segregation within NMM as well. Personally, I'm going to keep Skyrim Legendary Edition installed alongside SSE, each with their own set of mods, for the foreseeable future.
Camonna Tong wrote: It's a separate game than Skyrim. When you install Skyrim Special Edition, Skyrim and all of your mods will still be intact.

From what I hear, the game runs really great and is very well optimized. It features some pretty nice things graphically and immersion wise. For example, according to youtube videos and MrMattyPlays, there is rain and snow clipping now. In other words, there's no need for Real Shelter which can heavily slow down Skyrim because of its script heaviness.
Dominque wrote: Well I would believe if you just download it in a separate directory, it would stand alone you can do that thru Steam>settings>steam library folders and create a new file location, then it should be a "stand alone"
Dominque wrote: Comonna Yea I get that.......but.......if you are using mods that are reliant on SKSE not sure that would be a good idea, I'm thinking you would be better off not using old save files, and just starting a new run thru and add compatible mods according.
Camonna Tong wrote: I'm restarting my saves myself. I can't get Skyrim to run well for me with my 150+ "essential" mods. I approach the 3.2Gb limit really easily even with all of the memory patches and combinations of them. It'll run well for most areas, and then certain areas will CTD. I can fix that by changing up the memory allocation, but then other areas will CTD that didn't before. It's a mess.
Dovahkiin1973 wrote: Thank guys for answering that question. I had the question because of the way Steam worded the "free upgrade" if you already own Skyrim and all DLCs. They used the word "upgrade" which made me think OK this is going to transform my regular Skyrim and I will be stuck with the SSE. I want to be stuck with it but still have regular Skyrim because of mods like Enderal. Cool deal and thanks again.

I can confirm it will download and show as a separate game. I just finished pre-loading it.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #43579020. #43579810, #43579820, #43579830, #43579945, #43580125, #43580480, #43582075 are all replies on the same post.

Dovahkiin1973 wrote: I have a lot of concerns and questions just like everyone else who is going to give the SSE a try. A big one is will it replace regular Skyrim or will it stand alone as a separate game so that everyone out there who tries it and it doesn't work on their PC can go right back to regular Skyrim. I've Google searched this issue and no source I found were there any 100% Yes or No answers. Also for those that don't know the game is being released at Midnight on the 28th but that is for only one time zone on the planet. For me I am EST so I will be getting it on the 27th around 8pm. My computer should play it as I have mid range specs as defined by the minimum and recommended specs and I am going to play it Vanilla first before adding any mods to it to see how it plays untouched. All the other concerns about the game can wait. I want to see how it plays Vanilla on my PC and if it does alright then I will begin to think about all the rest.
SirSalami wrote: SSE will definitely be a separate, stand-alone installation and will be treated with appropriate file segregation within NMM as well. Personally, I'm going to keep Skyrim Legendary Edition installed alongside SSE, each with their own set of mods, for the foreseeable future.
Camonna Tong wrote: It's a separate game than Skyrim. When you install Skyrim Special Edition, Skyrim and all of your mods will still be intact.

From what I hear, the game runs really great and is very well optimized. It features some pretty nice things graphically and immersion wise. For example, according to youtube videos and MrMattyPlays, there is rain and snow clipping now. In other words, there's no need for Real Shelter which can heavily slow down Skyrim because of its script heaviness.
Dominque wrote: Well I would believe if you just download it in a separate directory, it would stand alone you can do that thru Steam>settings>steam library folders and create a new file location, then it should be a "stand alone"
Dominque wrote: Comonna Yea I get that.......but.......if you are using mods that are reliant on SKSE not sure that would be a good idea, I'm thinking you would be better off not using old save files, and just starting a new run thru and add compatible mods according.
Camonna Tong wrote: I'm restarting my saves myself. I can't get Skyrim to run well for me with my 150+ "essential" mods. I approach the 3.2Gb limit really easily even with all of the memory patches and combinations of them. It'll run well for most areas, and then certain areas will CTD. I can fix that by changing up the memory allocation, but then other areas will CTD that didn't before. It's a mess.
Dovahkiin1973 wrote: Thank guys for answering that question. I had the question because of the way Steam worded the "free upgrade" if you already own Skyrim and all DLCs. They used the word "upgrade" which made me think OK this is going to transform my regular Skyrim and I will be stuck with the SSE. I want to be stuck with it but still have regular Skyrim because of mods like Enderal. Cool deal and thanks again.
joeandsheila wrote: I can confirm it will download and show as a separate game. I just finished pre-loading it.

The time it took you to post this comment here would have provided you the official response Bethesda released stating that the game was a stand alone product and would be it's own entity in the steam store and install to it's own folder.

But that's ok, you can just post the question on a fan site and not do any research of your own. I'll make sure to get the tcp report to you by 2700 tonight.

In response to post #43579920.

tadcaster wrote:

I guess one big question is how our current mods will play out in SSE. Some post say no problem, some say that they will have to be manually reformatted or the game will "Hang".
I guess I will find out when I try to play it Tomorrow night. I am kind of commented now to SSE as I have ordered up grades to my PC (Graphics card an better, larger Disk).

Will the Nexus, and the Mod manager now need a new category for SSE mods? Lots of unknowns right now

Expect much to require updating. Here's Arthmoor's outline on AFK for you to read over:

http://afkmods.iguanadons.net/index.php?/topic/4633-skyrim-se-things-to-know-when-converting-standard-mods-to-sse/

Disclaimer: I'm not an insider, and what I've laid out was gleaned from hearsay, not direct & specific knowledge of mine own.

Condensed summary vers:

- Meshes "may" need to be updated, that's not definitive at this point, and hasn't been elaborated on in a while.

- .tga texture files need converting to .dds formats. There aren't many of these used in Skyrim (npc's most notably), so not a big concern. Compressed textures are going to have to be recompressed in the newer, used by FO4, ATI2N/BC5 format from what I've been told. No confirmation on that so far as I know.

- Plugins need updating in the new CK, as well as facegen files. Expect perhaps more than that.

- Scripting's good to go, but anything SKSE based is going to be a bit. It's going to, at the very least need recompiling, probably more (not a programmer myself). Hopefully. I've not seen any plans for SKSE's dev, but I also haven't looked in depth to find out either.

- Anything that adds to the landscaping is going to be problematic, there's loads of new clutter according to insiders.

- Animations; they're screwed, & totally incompatible until a workaround, likely a conversion tool is in play. I don't keep up with FO4 (dropped it like a hot rock after 80 hrs or so), so I'm unaware if there is a tool in existence, and further whether it's usable for S:SE in any case.

Contrary to what's been said officially about "most mods being compatible" out of the box, it's not appearing there was but a grain of truth in that statement. Most can be relatively pain free to make compatible, & that's the good part, I guess. Edited by DownBeatBeatDown

In response to post #43576085.

gtneonatlas wrote: Will NNM's version change or will it stay as 0.63.1 and just add support? I ask because I'm sure there are those users out there that use MO over NNM and don't have NNM installed yet, waiting for the version update that supports SSE. Or users like me who have NNM installed but do not use it (and it's WAY out of date) because MO is life until the new NNM is out lol.

I've been using MO for the past few years, and I've always found it to be very intuitive and easy to use. I'm bummed that I can't continue to use it with SSE. I downloaded NMM today and installed it, but I can't do much until SSE gets unlocked Thursday night.

Before I invest a lot of time learning a new tool, I want to ask if there are any other good alternatives out there or is NMM now the only game in town (at least for SSE)?

In response to post #43576085. #43582525 is also a reply to the same post.

gtneonatlas wrote: Will NNM's version change or will it stay as 0.63.1 and just add support? I ask because I'm sure there are those users out there that use MO over NNM and don't have NNM installed yet, waiting for the version update that supports SSE. Or users like me who have NNM installed but do not use it (and it's WAY out of date) because MO is life until the new NNM is out lol.
grc472 wrote: I've been using MO for the past few years, and I've always found it to be very intuitive and easy to use. I'm bummed that I can't continue to use it with SSE. I downloaded NMM today and installed it, but I can't do much until SSE gets unlocked Thursday night.

Before I invest a lot of time learning a new tool, I want to ask if there are any other good alternatives out there or is NMM now the only game in town (at least for SSE)?

Well, there may be someone that will create a "SSEMO", much like Fallout, that will model after MO, but until the next, redesigned version of NMM comes out, the current build is what we'll have to use if we want a manager. Or we can just do manual installs. I'm probably gonna just do that until the next NMM.

In response to post #43577085. #43577750, #43580735 are all replies on the same post.

aero64 wrote: So i need install all of my 5435465465465489 mods from Skyrim to SSE? OMG :(
VarsityChaos wrote: Hey, that's the fun part. You aren't playing Skyrim unless you spend 95% of your time modding your game and 5% seeing if you CTD
newyevon2 wrote: you hit it on the nose with that :)

"Hey, that's the fun part. You aren't playing Skyrim unless you spend 95% of your time modding your game and 5% seeing if you CTD" I thought that was just me!