SKSE

Lodbrok

I want to also point out that when people all ask for MCM and SkyUI functionality, they need to understand what that means; it entails a framework that can read/write a great deal of assets that go above and beyond just a fancy UI and cosmetic visuals. It's a pretty large undertaking I imagine in order for it to function properly and cleanly.

Regardless.. I'm looking forward to when this launches, it's going to be the catalyst that triggers an immense amount of development across the board for SE, much like it did originally for Oldrim.

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time for another update. I know at this point that I am unlikely to put together a video this week, with some substantial real-life deadlines. Progress is continuing at a good pace, but I am finding that to finish up pieces I am interested in I have to bring in other pieces. Everything is interconnected and sometimes you can't simply disconnect them.

So where am I? Well I solved the issue with Actor.SheatheWeapon() - there was an extra virtual function in the vftable. But mainly I have been diving into the Scaleform code that we'll need to support SkyUI. Not far enough along there to test anything - but finding most of the addresses and things are compiling - at least until I try to put the hooks in place to activate things. Those require another two sets of hooks (UI and Gameplay) to be pulled in. Which is the next step.

I also spent a little time getting a sense of exactly how much work there is to get a full port of SKSE over to SKSE64.

• For Skyrim there are 897 game classes we need to decode and verify. Some of these are small and straight-forward classes with only one or two data points. Others are gargantuan.
  • We have 221 addresses we need to find and keep up-to-date with every new build. A large number of those addresses are RTTI values we need for casting, which is more or less completely automated. Other key addresses are for global objects (like the player, the DataHandler, the console) and functions we need to call or hook (print to console, heap allocation and free, LookupFormByID).
  • Finally we currently provide 769 new papyrus functions that will all need to be validated. So I guess I will be writing some form of regression/unit test plugin again so that we have something to test against each build to be sure we haven't broken anything. I had one of those for OBSE back when we only had a hundred or two functions. It took forever to write and keep up to date.
So I haven't taken the time yet to determine exactly how much progress we have made so far. I'll need to set up something to keep track. I know the number of papyrus functions brought over and validated is quite low. I haven't been bringing papyrus functions in until I was ready to test them or use them for a demo. More of them may work - I just don't know.
In any case - we'll be working on this for some time yet. I just wanted to give folks an idea of the scope of the work. As more of the functionality comes together we'll start figuring out a release plan. Still no timeline at this point.

I never really got into Oldrim that much but something about this new energy with SE is making me get excited about playing and modding again.

So thank you, ALL contributors, not just SKSE team. But yes especially SKSE team lol.

You guys are doing an excellent thing here, and we are all so grateful! I wish some of the people understood just what a complex process this really is, and would quit asking for you to put the cart before the horse (so to speak)!

I mean, really! Let the guys get skse64 up and out in beta BEFORE you even worry about SkyUI and such! They have already pledged to work on those issues (or at the very least, hand them off to other competent teams...). But until we get our hands on a beta version of skse64, I say just let them bloody well focus...a new SkyUI will quite simply NEVER be possible if they don't finish!

Patience!

Completely off subject, but, it is kinda awesome to hear a dev use lingo I just started using in my first "dev/qa" job. I write, test, and work with regression testing and test cases all day. I am a p.i.t.a. for the devs in the short term and an asset in the long term.
Back on the topic. Thank you to the team putting so much effort into this. I am still playing original Skyrim until SKSE64 and a few other addons are out. So I am waiting patiently in the background and lurking...mostly just lurking.

I assume you've considered a phased rollout of the SKSE features?

I glanced through the code on github and was surprised just how much if it there is, I could well imagine it taking months to get through all of that, but I assume the basic MCM functionality is using a relatively small subset of that. You've previously mentioned that you are concentrating on that first.

Once that is done and release, then perhaps working on fleshing out features in a way that enables various popular mods.

Of course that presupposes you know which features are most commonly used.

Thanks again for your teams work on SKSE.

I assume the basic MCM functionality is using a relatively small subset of that

Although SkyUI's MCM uses /relatively few/ functions of SKSE, these functions depend on rather large implementations! They are quite possibly the most complicated to get working! There's all the scaleform stuff that needs to be done, translation table (but also the translations are loaded from the bsa, the virtual file system stuff needs to be done as well), custom events for papyrus (and between scaleform and papyrus), there's the extra data, active effects info, lots and lots!

As for SkyUI. I've finished up the UI side of things (i.e. so it works with character selection and mod list) so as soon as SKSE64 is in a working state, schlangster or I (when either of us have time) can recompile with SKSE64 then should be good to go.

so no skyUI for consoles :C

Not unless someone Santa buys me a Xbox One. It would only be in English, it would not support other languages. There would be no crafting menu overhaul. No map overhaul. No MCM. Reduced item info. No text search. Unsure if xbone mods allow custom ini settings, so 3d image would be positioned wrongly. No faves menu. No active effects. Probably missed some other things too :smile: Edited by Mardoxx

so no skyUI for consoles :C

Not unless someone Santa buys me a Xbox One. It would only be in English, it would not support other languages. There would be no crafting menu overhaul. No map overhaul. No MCM. Reduced item info. No text search. Unsure if xbone mods allow custom ini settings, so 3d image would be positioned wrongly. No faves menu. No active effects. Probably missed some other things too :smile:

That just made me laugh out loud :D