Qwinn´s Ultimate DAO Fixpack v3 (no longer beta!)

Katzapult

Hello everyone! How nice to see a topic about my fixpack on the front page 6 years later! I don't know that I'd try to use it right now though, seeing as I never updated it following version 1.04 coming out. Various people said that 1.04 did in fact break it.

I'm actually thinking seriously about updating it, now that the Ultimate Edition has come out and we can safely assume there'll be no more changes. I have to head out right now so I can't research some of these on my own, but if anyone's around, perhaps you can help answer a few questions:

1) Would there actually be any interest in my doing so?

2) Is the Tool Set still available somewhere? I can't download it from Bioware's site.

3) Would using the Tool Set to recreate my mods work with the Steam Ultimate Edition? Or does it make Steam think you're hacking the game or something? I originally did my mods on a purchased version.

Thanks for any help!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, if anyone is interested, another thing that would be REALLY helpful is if anyone can identify any bugs in this list that were fixed by 1.04 or the Ultimate Edition, so I don't need to chase them down again. Here's a link to the changelog (I'd cut and paste but it doesn't seem to want to let me):

http://social.bioware.com/project/2563/

EDIT: Bleah! Looks like direct links don't work anymore. Oh well. I was able to access my mod on Bioware's site though, so if anyone can see the changelog and happens to know that something on there was later fixed by Bioware, it'd be great to know.

Edited by Qwinn

http://www.gog.com

has frequent sales and the game (ultimate edition) can be purchased for as little as $4.99 - when it is on sale. They include the toolset, I'm not sure if they patch to 1.05 or not.

Now on to the important stuff. Your fixpack was the first that I used and I still use it today. It is one of my 'must have' mods. When Bioware said that they were going to shutdown their DAO sites, it was the first mod that I made sure I had a copy of.

Of course, I would love it if you decided to work on it again. (Note: it still works with my copy of 1.05, I've had no problems with it. It might have worked BETTER on 1.03, I have no way of knowing that)

Agree with mcgoy. Qwinn's FixPack was one of the first mods I ever used, and I keep it installed today. :thumbsup:

My most recent DAO playthrough was this past September.

While I have another similar mod installed (the DA Rules FixPack, specifically to fix the bug in Shale's "Rock Barrage") I have tried to reconcile the two so as to have only a single file where there are duplicates. (I may not have been totally successful in that, so which ones get to be in-use depends on my folder naming.)

Wow, it still works? Really? Awesome. So many people asked me to update it for 1.04 way back when that I figured it must have been broken. Half of me is tempted to abandon recreating it and just using it!

If I were to recreate it, problem is that after a few computer migrations, any hope of my actually retrieving the fixes themselves (meaning, where I can see what I *actually did* in scripts and dialogues and so forth) is gone. Thankfully, I document heavily, and I *do* have notes as to what specific files I had to work on in order to perform each fix. That's a *huge* help, so if I wanted to recreate it, I'd be able to redo it a lot faster than it took to create them in the first place.

Why do so, if they're working? Well, I do enjoy it as much as I enjoy playing the game, and also because I did plan on getting around to fixing Awakenings someday, since my understanding is there's a whole lot of bugs there too (I never actually got all the way through it!). But if I'm going to do that and make it a part of this fixpack, I'm going to have to recreate what I've done so far.

Plus, the idea of just not being able to see or modify any of my own work annoys me. Trust me that if I do this work all over again, the source files will be backed up *forever*, heh.

I've been tinkering since last night, recreated a few of the easier fixes. Some of them are going to be tougher... I remember the "Stealing the Teyrn's Crown" quest in Denerim taking a huge amount of work, for example.

We'll see how it goes in recreating the Fixpack so far. If it stays relatively easy and fun, and also if I find more bugs that could use fixing (I'm consulting the Dragon Age Wiki on EVERY quest, to see if they document any bugs that I missed on my first pass), I'll keep it up, and if it all gets recreated, then I'll start on Awakenings.

Note: also, if I recreate this, it's likely that Fixpack v3 will NOT be compatible with save games created under v2, since I'll almost certainly wind up picking different variable names and stuff this time around.

Looking through old Bioware threads, apparently the main thing that breaks is the Leliana romance, so if you guys don't generally romance her, that could be why it's going smoothly for you. And yeah, looks like I will have to redo everything to fix that issue. Those old threads are going to be a big help though, so I won't have to reinvent every wheel! On it.

@Qwinn; See my post above, Shale's "Rock Barrage" ability was fracked from the very beginning (animation worked, but it had zero effect on targets.) Your FixPack didn't address the issue, but gastank's DA Rules FixPack did.

Like yours, that one is also incredibly well documented so you could take a look at what's there and see if there are any other problems that you didn't tackle your last time 'round that might be worth investigating this time. :cool:

(And maybe I misread something, but are you saying you don't have a copy of "Qwinn's unofficial fix pack 2.0"?!? I could PM you a link to a copy if you need it.) nm, I see you do have the file! :laugh:

Edited by Thandal
Received new information.