LOOT and Skyrim remastered

JoeB1961

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q: How do I install the newest LOOT snapshot with support for Skyrim Special Edition successfully?

A:

First things first. Understand that a snapshot build is unofficial and normally used to test LOOT and provide feedback for wrinklyninja, LOOT's main developer. You can think of snapshot builds as a Work In Progress (WIP), so please be aware of the fact, that you are using an unofficial build of LOOT, which may or may not function correctly.

That being said, without further ado, here are the steps to install the new LOOT snapshot.

• Uninstall your previous LOOT installation. To do so, follow the instructions here, in the description tab "DESC", in the section "Installation & Uninstallation".
  • Also make sure that you delete your
    C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\LOOT
    folder in it's entirety. If that folder is hidden on your PC (the AppData folder to be more precise), you can alternatively copy & paste the following line in your Windows File Explorer:
    %LOCALAPPDATA%
  • Both previous steps are required, because the new LOOT version introduces a new masterlist syntax, which is incompatible to the syntax used in previous official LOOT versions.
  • Install the MSVC 2015 x86 redistributable on your PC. This is a new dependency LOOT 0.10.0 introduces and is therefore required (so it's the same with the latest LOOT snapshot). You can now download and install it manually or wait for the official LOOT 0.10.0, which will install it automatically via it's "LOOT.Installer.exe" executable on your PC.
  • Download the correct snapshot from <here>. The correct one to use, if you just want a snapshot with SSE support, is the snapshot with the highest number after "loot_0.9.2-" WHILE having "_dev" in it's name, if "_dev" is not in it's name, it's a snapshot build with unfinished code.
  • Extract the downloaded .7z archive (using e.g. "7-Zip" or "WinRAR") and copy it's content to a folder of your choice. It would be desirable if the target folder is NOT within C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86), as these folders can be influenced by the User Account Control (UAC), which we do not want.
  • Run the Game Launcher from Skyrim Special Edition (so click on "Play" within Steam).
  • Close the launcher.
  • Start LOOT via it's executable "LOOT.exe".
Edited by pStyl3

Thank you for this. I actually got it to work by going to settings and putting in the path for Skyrim SE. It now recognizes it without having to reinstall but I am not sure it is sorting correctly. Pretty close. It put the unofficial patch last. Maybe that is right, I don't know. I will follow your instructions though. Again, thank you. I know it might not be official but at least we have some idea to a proper load order. :happy:

been unofficial is fine by me many thanks for the info on how to do it ^^

EDIT apears that sorting on loot works but the NMM doesnt change load order that loot tells it to

EDIT 2 so iv rearranged everything in my load order to correct with loot but then noticed the mod load order in the game itself is not according to loot or NMM... this is really enoying me lol

Edited by Shiroryoo

My issue with LOOT is kinda weird...

I uninstalled the software following the 2 steps in its page (uninstalled via Win7 software uninstaller, deleted the loot folder and deleted the appdata folder too).

I've got the build 142 from the github site and created the new folder containing all of the 7z file.

I've launched LOOT and removed the annoying "first time" message.

I've opened MO2 (Beta3), defined the new path for LOOT and downloaded\activated some new esps.

LOOT launches, checks the masters and rearranges the order. I apply and confirm the changes.

When i try and close LOOT the program crashes and the only option i have is to close the program by removing all the changes done, meaning it's not reordering the mods.

When i go back to MO2 the mod list is completely f*#@ed up and the three DLCs are deactivated.

Has anyone got a workaround?

@ f4b10z

MO2 Beta 3 is the last version of MO2 that Tannin will release (reasons) and unfortunately it didn't reach a full stable version as for example MO 1.3.11 is one. MO2 was also developed for FO4, I have my doubts that tricking it into "working" for SSE is the way to go, especially given the previous things mentioned. In any case, MO/MO2 are not supported by LOOT, meaning that MO-only issues regarding LOOT will likely not be tackled by the LOOT team.

@ lizzisbow

If you see that wrinklyninja removes a snapshot, please do NOT reupload it - it probably has it's reasons why it got removed. I've edited my previous post to reflect the change (what happened here was that wrinklyninja merged the SSE support branch into the dev branch, which occasionally messes with snapshot-subversion-numbers).

Edited by pStyl3