What is this "64 bit render targets" option?

Eferas

Skyrim SE just launched and I have no idea what is this option "skyrim 64 bit render targets". I knew SSE was 64 bit only, so I have no idea what it does and if I should keep it on or off. Anyone know?

I think it means that the game renders things like, color's , texture's, Lighting, in 64 bit instead of 32 bit. here is a link explaining this a bit better.. http://www.catalinzima.com/xna/tutorials/deferred-rendering-in-xna/creating-the-g-buffer/

Thanks for link, but it's way too complicated for me I'm afraid. I guess it improves the colors then, maybe.

Edited by Eferas

Ok what this setting does is it takes textures, colors, lighting like godrays, and it enhances them to 64 bit format instead of 32 bit format like the original skyrim, from what i understand. so basically it makes the game look slightly better. but sacrifices about 2 frame rate in the process. it also helps with the saturation of color's.

Edited by Xenomorphmike223

Ok what this setting does is it takes textures, colors, lighting like godrays, and it enhances them to 64 bit format instead of 32 bit format like the original skyrim, from what i understand. so basically it makes the game look slightly better. but sacrifices about 2 frame rate in the process. it also helps with the saturation of color's.

Thanks, then I will keep it on. I went to whiterun with all the setting to max and I had 50/60 fps in interiors and 30 to 60 fps in exteriors. I think it's good enough, but I will drop something to get to 60 always. I hope gamerax does its performance graphics settings guide the same way they did for Fallout 4, that was very useful.

Try to adjust my game as well. Everything auto set to ultra and looks washed out. Turn god rays off it looks pretty good, fps stays the same (sucks) no matter what I do. Well that is not entirely true cause I set everything to low and it looked like the E3 trailer. Fps jumped up about 5. Manually turn off vsync it goes high leave it on and get between 30 and 62. Cave in Helgen was as bight as my living room with god rays on. lol

Think we got a bad console port here. Not to be negative about a free game, perhaps why it was free. lol

Well, it was free because a part for more stability there is nothing here we didn't already have with modding in the old Skyrim. But I'm totally not going back to the old Skyrim, you have no idea how many times I start a character all happy and excited only to uninstall the whole thing mid-game because crashing and stuttering. Skyrim will never look good on vanilla on its own, bethesda is not that good has a development studio, F04 is fine, not amazing, just fine, and it's their best looking game so far.

We got it for free because there was no way we would had buy it. :D

Skyrim SE just launched and I have no idea what is this option "skyrim 64 bit render targets". I knew SSE was 64 bit only, so I have no idea what it does and if I should keep it on or off. Anyone know?

I think it means that the game renders things like, color's , texture's, Lighting, in 64 bit instead of 32 bit. here is a link explaining this a bit better.. http://www.catalinzima.com/xna/tutorials/deferred-rendering-in-xna/creating-the-g-buffer/

That link would help... if it wasn't filled with programming language and instead told us what it is in plainspeak and how it relates to Skyrim

This line is the simple explaination.

If we use large formats (64 bits), we will have good precision where we need it (normals, positions, depth), but we will have wasted space in other places (color, specular intensity, etc). On the other side, if we use a smaller formats (32 bits), we will have better performance, but lower precision

TL;DR 64 bit means better quality but wasted memory (which relates to performance).

Was curious what it did since I can not start a new game or load a save with it enabled. For me the game looks good enough without it and was just waiting till someone more knowledgeable posted what is/does.