Older Skyrim Mods

Sharlikran

Quick question, why do old mods have to be extra ported to SSE ? people say you cant just install old files into SSE

just out of spite, i installed a couple old retexture mods and they seem to work fine...

there a consequence to this i dont see as of now?

Of course there is no consequence for installing texture only mods (maybe some shiny surfaces due to LE normal maps)

It's when you install anything else other than textures that it begins to complicate things..

Meshes for example need to be scanned and optimised (the .nif files) and plugins (.esm .esp) need to be converted to form44 (instead of form43 for LE)

Ignoring those procedures and just using an LE mod right away on SE will either crash your game instantly OR it will corrupt your saves slowly without you realising until it will be too late to go back and fix it..

Edited by zeknapain

Yes I use all amidianborn book of silence textures in SE for years.
Mostly large flat textures sometimes shine on SE like terain textures..
example: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/30120/
if you install this on SE it will shine like glass under the sun.
if you delete the normal map though it works fine, but it doesn't have the "bumpiness" of the normal map under it..

what about armor and weapons mod though,

i had a russian guy who had made an extremely good version of Soul Reaver sword which is not on the Nexus, but he says its an extreme amount of work and he cant do it alone to port it to skyrim.

is it the same story with meshes?

Meshes just need to be scanned and converted with Nif Optimiser (a simple tool found here on the nexus) and then they work fine..
If it's a new weapon mod added to the game it probably has an esp to add it so the esp needs saving in the Creation Kit to make it sse format..

• 5 months later...

does anyone have the old Fune program. the new fine XXL will not work. keeps telling me it does not see this. I have had a few like that and had to scrap my last cam. uninstal the game vortex everything to get anything to work. I know it is all bath usda doing because of there habits. but all i can do is ask for help. any one have the old fin. so i can just add it to my desk top like I did or any thing that you can tell me about the new XXL one thanks.

• 1 month later...

My mods are working fin. the downloads from nexus that tell me what i need like fin and skse64 won't let me put them in so it works. that is what I am trying to get fixed also body slide. why can't I get help with this and I have done it the way it list and watched the videos. But I can not find some of the files they say to take out. I keep asking for help on this and seams i get the same thing. follow the info and i do and this is were i am at. they are there but don't work and skse64 I am not sure what the start window is for, never saw it before and no one ever said anything about it. that's why I am not sure if that's right or not.

• 1 month later...
  • Mods that require SKSE will not work with Skyrim SE since SKSE isn't available at this time. (if there is one provide a link?)

Link for downloading the freshest SKSE for all Skyrim versions: http://skse.silverlock.org/

It's the website of the author team of SKSE and so it's always the first updated and safe for downloads.

Edited by ah64dragon

• 2 months later...

• Mods that require SKSE will not work with Skyrim SE since SKSE isn't available at this time. (if there is one provide a link?)

Link for downloading the freshest SKSE for all Skyrim versions: http://skse.silverlock.org/

It's the website of the author team of SKSE and so it's always the first updated and safe for downloads.

Sorry for the late reply. I removed that line. I am also converting mods for Christmas so I will be making some changes and updates.

• 10 months later...

Question about XEdit. I merge a large set of quest mods. I know that in XEdit there are sections of objects that are marked as not used by the game, but they are used (for example, recipes, relationships). But what about NPCs, weapons, outfit, etc.? Can it be that a script uses them, in which case XEdit will display "referenced by" or not? I just want to clear unused records.