Set Godrays To Low. Thank Me Later.

countercruel

Countercruel - I did what you suggested and I am here to thank you! I also dropped shadows back to medium like in the old Skyrim. I can't see much difference but play-wise it is much better. My rig scored Ultra on everything but I'd rather have mods and performance.

Good call!

My performance issue was related to the Vsync which I disabled in the ini file. Added another line in the main ini that caps fps at like 90. Currently I run between 90 and 46 FPS which I feel is a sweet spot for this game. I turned god rays off, not because of performance nut because it looks like crap. Turned off 64 bit target and could not tell any difference other then the game was stable (for skyrim). I added a line iMinGrassSize=20 to the ini because I did not like the size of vanilla grass. Everything else is on Ultra and the game looks great, plays smooth.

I do not know your system specs and you may need to adjust accordingly + or-. Mine are: FX8300, R9 380x Nitro, 16 gb RAM (game only uses about 4.5 max). Hope that helps.

how do you disable god rays yo...

Countercruel - I did what you suggested and I am here to thank you! I also dropped shadows back to medium like in the old Skyrim. I can't see much difference but play-wise it is much better. My rig scored Ultra on everything but I'd rather have mods and performance.

Good call!

My performance issue was related to the Vsync which I disabled in the ini file. Added another line in the main ini that caps fps at like 90. Currently I run between 90 and 46 FPS which I feel is a sweet spot for this game. I turned god rays off, not because of performance nut because it looks like crap. Turned off 64 bit target and could not tell any difference other then the game was stable (for skyrim). I added a line iMinGrassSize=20 to the ini because I did not like the size of vanilla grass. Everything else is on Ultra and the game looks great, plays smooth.

I do not know your system specs and you may need to adjust accordingly + or-. Mine are: FX8300, R9 380x Nitro, 16 gb RAM (game only uses about 4.5 max). Hope that helps.

how do you disable god rays yo...

It's in your Launcher's options before you start the game. Click the Advanced option and it's the 4th setting.

I ended up using the ultimate fix for my issues. I uninstalled SE and went back to LE and my trouble was over. My fps stays between 50 and 90 @ 1440 p and it looks better. But it is a sad day in video gaming history when a remaster is worse then the original. lol

I go along with easier on the eyes without godrays but at 4k it is breathtaking. Same with Fallout 4. It only seems to work well when there is a silly amount of pixels.

I play Skyrim SE at 1440 WS & godrays are not that impressive even at that resolution. I would have no problem switching it off. At 4k it is a must.

Later

I ended up using the ultimate fix for my issues. I uninstalled SE and went back to LE and my trouble was over. My fps stays between 50 and 90 @ 1440 p and it looks better. But it is a sad day in video gaming history when a remaster is worse then the original. lol

thats in your case, for most ppl the se loooks and plays better.

you need to tune it right tho, which can be a bit of a hassle.

thats in your case, for most ppl the se loooks and plays better.

you need to tune it right tho, which can be a bit of a hassle.

"Plays better"??? Oh, all those forums of complaints, mixed reviews and people scrambling for a fix were a figment of my imagination. lol

People are still looking for a fix but I doubt one is to be had. If it runs well for then you are the exception to the rule and I am glad at least you get to enjoy it.

"Plays better"??? Oh, all those forums of complaints, mixed reviews and people scrambling for a fix were a figment of my imagination. lol

Hate to break it to you bud, but the rumors are true.. some of us don't have a crappy performance SE. Not here to try and convince you that your opinion is invalid however, I'm just here to try and explain that just because you hear x number of people complaining, that doesn't mean there aren't xx or xxxx number of people who don't have any complaints. It's often the case that the loudest members of any community are often the ones who have something to complain about.

I'll use the average ENB post page as an example... 90% of it is just people complaining that the ENB broke their game, or that something in general is wrong. WHat they don't point out is that out of those 50 people who couldn't get it working, there were still 500,000 people who did.

Anyhow, glad you're enjoying LE, it's still a great game, and after 5+ years to garnish it with stability. After 1 month into release, SE is also very solid.. it just needs a bit more time to get it's modding capabilities up to speed, i.e SKSE64.

Cheers

Edited by SkyrimCliff

Hate to break it to you bud, but the rumors are true.. some of us don't have a crappy performance SE. Not here to try and convince you that your opinion is invalid however, I'm just here to try and explain that just because you hear x number of people complaining, that doesn't mean there aren't xx or xxxx number of people who don't have any complaints. It's often the case that the loudest members of any community are often the ones who have something to complain about.

I'll use the average ENB post page as an example... 90% of it is just people complaining that the ENB broke their game, or that something in general is wrong. WHat they don't point out is that out of those 50 people who couldn't get it working, there were still 500,000 people who did.

Anyhow, glad you're enjoying LE, it's still a great game, and after 5+ years to garnish it with stability. After 1 month into release, SE is also very solid.. it just needs a bit more time to get it's modding capabilities up to speed, i.e SKSE64.

Cheers

As I stated, I am glad it runs fine for you. I do differ the loudest members are complainers to a degree. Some of us are hardcore PC gamers, some of us claim to be. Those that claim to be will run a game that performs at console standards and call it great. Hardcore PC gamers will look at what is happening and try to figure out why it sucks. They know what to expect from the rig they run. So the uninformed group will not complain because they do not know better. I am in no way saying you fall in that group, just saying they will not complain. You could feed them a turd sandwich and wash it down with urine. It would not matter. PC Gamer compared it to cleaning a toilet. It recieved mixed reviews, too many negative. But I will explain a bit more from my own experience.

System: FX 8300 cpu, R9 380x Nitro, 16 GB RAM and 650 watt PSU.

Walk out the gates of whiterun, 60 fps. Walk to the first foot bridge still on 60 fps turn to the left and continue to walk around the road. Just as I get to the little bridge that crosses the stream I go from 60 to 30 fps instantly. It stays on 30 from that point, past the stables and half way past Pelagia farm (with a bit of stutter). On LE, capped at 60 fps, my min is 48 fps for 3 seconds then it jumps up to 60. Oh, that is with 64 mods which make it look better then SE.

I can run LE so fast I have giants flying through the air but a 64 bit version does this? MSI afterburner tells me SE did not start to tax my system towards the max, hit 40% on CPU, 70% on GPU and the turbo did not kick in. The game is junk. But hey, on the bright side modders may do Bethesda's job once again and fix this. I do not care at this point because I stopped buying their games. lol

Take care and happy gaming.

• 2 months later...

You have your opinion, but for some, such as myself and many others, the old skyrim is unplayable, unless VERY lightly modded, for me its never been stable since all the way back to windows 7, ive tried every new version of windows since then, vanilla is fine, but modded a lot its a PITA and never stable, I always ended up disappointingly uninstalling after much tinkering, I've had no full playthrough since windows 7! lol... To be truthful its totally Windows fault, not skyrim, but still, im not dual booting just to play an old game on an ancient crappy OS... this new skyrim gives me a lot of hope I'll get a good playthrough once again, almost 200 mods installed now and its super smooth and stable. Besides all that, the game has only been out a few months and SSE is where all the attention/fixes/mods are going, give it another good block of time and it will utterly crush old skyrim, more than it obviously already does for those not on a hella old OS.

...but yea... why I found this post.... I dont like the godrays lol, does weird things to the color and lighting for me in a modded game, and from what op says it may also be unnecessarily heavy on performance though ive not noticed that myself. Thanks for putting this up, im about to try disabling it.

Edit: Well not only will they not disable, but the game looks strange with them on low, trees get really dark patches and its fuggly lol, like I said I get zero performance hit from having them on high-everywhere, so oh well, for now they stay as is, at least ENB fixes the strange color stuff.

Edited by macrocosm144