[FIX] To anyone who experiences low framerates, FPS drops in Skyrim: SE

IE33

So, to begin with I've been experiencing very low framerates for no reason what so ever, ie. at Helgen cave entrance I had 30 FPS, at this moment I couldn't believe this "WTF?!" considering I was able to run old Skyrim with around ~140GB's of mods and a little bit above 100+ ESP's with ENB at decent avg. 45 FPS with my Setup.

Another problem I had with Skyrim SE was: When looking at some places from certain angles my framerate would drop to 30 FPS from 60 FPS, move few steps forward; FPS would go up to 60, move few setps back FPS would go down etc.

To the point [FIX]

1. Switch game to Fullscreen mode [May be not necessarry if you use second FIX, for me it works now fine after using the second FIX] (This alone gave me whooping +15 FPS increase outside Helgen cave)

2. Disable Vsync in Skyrim .ini's and FORCE it through tool such as Nvidia Inspector and lock it at 60 FPS, detailed guide can be found HERE for both Nvidia and AMD (This gave me another ~+10 FPS and reduced FPS drops)

TL:DR Guide:

Stuff to edit/add to Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini

Skyrim.ini

[Display]
iPresentInterval=0
SkyrimPrefs.ini
[Display]
iVSyncPresentInterval=0

Correct configuration of Nvidia Inspector :

http://i.imgur.com/n0xvRr2.png

To sum up:

- Skyrim SE (Ultra Preset, Godrays OFF/ON) -> 30 FPS outside Helgen cave (WTF?!)
- Skyrim SE (Ultra Preset, Godrays OFF/ON) + Fullscreen + Vsync disabled in .ini's and forced via Nvidia Inspector -> 55 FPS outside Helgen cave | Random drops in some places either COMPLETELY gone or drop at most to 45 FPS (Feelsgoodman.jpg)
BEFORE applying Fix:
http://i.imgur.com/oSMRxSR.jpg

AFTER applying Fix:

http://i.imgur.com/YTogTut.jpg

Dragonsreach stairs:
BEFORE: 30 FPS
AFTER: 54 FPS
Whiterun Gate Entrance:
BEFORE: 35 FPS
AFTER: 52 FPS
This also solves the FPS drops with Godrays ON /High quality.
PSA: More screenshots on page 2 (No comparision, just performance shown after applying FIX)
Edited by IE33

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey sorry to bomb your post but im looking for a quick answer that you may have, do you know where the enb saved configurations are located on hdd? ive been looking though all i can find is enblocal.ini and enbseries.ini which im doubting they hold all the settings for the enb? also "if" the reshade is saved as a custom, where is that located also?

good job in unlocking your framerate too!

In your Skyrim folder, wherever you installed skyrim. not the data folder, the actual skyrim folder.

Anyway, here's something else that will work. replace all of SSE's textures with the original Skyrim's vanilla and/or HD textures.

Why? because bethesda and the people who work there are idiots, and upscaled the textures, doing virtually nothing other than causing an increase in performance costs. You can't even tell a difference between Skyrim and SSE. if you can, you must be looking REALLY hard for them.

The new textures don't look better, and all they do is eat up VRAM and drop FPS.

Hmm... If that's the case, why is my FPS running 60 - 80 fps now? It was running at 100+. Lots of tearing and stutters. No so much anymore. The new textures do look better. Plus the fog, mist and weather are simply amazing.

The textures may only look better in certain light, or if you're really looking for a difference. Many other users don't like it, and Bethesda might even consider fixing it apparently.

Are you saying you got worse performance after trying my fix? (Well not MINE but I came across it and thought I'd share)

And yeah SSE looks great with all that but I'm talking about textures here, and solely those. And if you're getting good FPS, you have to remember, not everybody has a medium to high-end system. Your specs are above even the recommended, right? As are mine, and I'd see similar results.

Are you saying in Skyrim you had tearing/stutters and in SSE you don't? Those two can't be related in this context. I can see getting better performance, with dx11, but I'm saying the gamers aren't getting the performance they should be.

Let's say you're hitting 125 fps in SSE right now, if Bethesda didnt screw up, you'd easily see 150+ fps.

Also, how are you even getting 125 lol? Lower settings? A card like the 390x or higher?

No. I'm saying I have an over abundant amount of fps. Which causes tearing and stuttering. I don't understand my problem. I even posted about it. But, what "certain light" are you referring to?

I have everything as high as it will go. I've done everything I can do to get my fps lower. But I'm stuck. 60 - 80 is the lowest I can get. When I go above 60, I get slight tearing and slight stuttering now. I just want a normal 50 - 60 fps. I've tried Nvidia Inspector, but, it doesn't work for me. My monitor refresh rate is 60. My gcard is the GTX 960. For the life of me, I don't know what's going on. Hell, I'm not even unlocking any achievements.

Edit:

My post.

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/4987220-fps-limiter/

Edited by NCRForever

Oh, you can easily fix that by capping your framerate. Cap it at 60fps, use an NVidia tool that works. Trial and error. Also, enable Vsync/force vsync

And by certain light I mean just different scenarios in different lighting some things may look better some things may look worse, just like anything else. Sorry I should've been more clear.

Also, there's a mod on the new nexus SSE site that fixes the achievements. Another thing Beth. shouldve made sure worked....

Yeah. I've tried Nvidia Inspector. No dice.

For me, the game, by far, looks much better all around. Like I said the mist and fog are amazing. The water, is magnificent. The night sky is a bit bland though.

I was trying that achievements mod enabler with mods this morning, but, it didn't work for me. I have since installed the new one, but haven't been back in game.

So, I just tried the new achievements enabler and it works for that issue. I'll try it with mods. Just wished someone would make a mod to DROP fps. LMAO! I feel weird wanting LESS fps. *shakes my head and walks away*