[FIX] To anyone who experiences low framerates, FPS drops in Skyrim: SE

IE33

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

So, to begin with I've been experiencing very low framerates for no reason what so ever, ie. at Helgen cave entrance I had 30 FPS, at this moment I couldn't believe this "WTF?!" considering I was able to run old Skyrim with around ~140GB's of mods and a little bit above 100+ ESP's with ENB at decent avg. 45 FPS with my Setup.

Another problem I had with Skyrim SE was: When looking at some places from certain angles my framerate would drop to 30 FPS from 60 FPS, move few steps forward; FPS would go up to 60, move few setps back FPS would go down etc.

To the point [FIX]

1. Switch game to Fullscreen mode [May be not necessarry if you use second FIX, for me it works now fine after using the second FIX] (This alone gave me whooping +15 FPS increase outside Helgen cave)

2. Disable Vsync in Skyrim .ini's and FORCE it through tool such as Nvidia Inspector and lock it at 60 FPS, detailed guide can be found HERE for both Nvidia and AMD (This gave me another ~+10 FPS and reduced FPS drops)

TL:DR Guide:

Stuff to edit/add to Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini

Skyrim.ini

[Display]
iPresentInterval=0
SkyrimPrefs.ini
[Display]
iVSyncPresentInterval=0

Correct configuration of Nvidia Inspector :

http://i.imgur.com/n0xvRr2.png

To sum up:

- Skyrim SE (Ultra Preset, Godrays OFF/ON) -> 30 FPS outside Helgen cave (WTF?!)
- Skyrim SE (Ultra Preset, Godrays OFF/ON) + Fullscreen + Vsync disabled in .ini's and forced via Nvidia Inspector -> 55 FPS outside Helgen cave | Random drops in some places either COMPLETELY gone or drop at most to 45 FPS (Feelsgoodman.jpg)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Amazing what this did to my game..

Anywhere near the solitude entrance I was down to 1-2 FPS at times.. Also, during some quest progression in any playthrough same would occur exiting the Bards College. Now... 59-60 FPS ANY and EVERYWHERE. So glade the beast machine is running like it should with a FTW TI and 3gen Rizen.. Kudos Brah!!

This is a good guide, it helped me in the past to.

But I recommend display tweaks now

Its another way to keep fps stable, and not to mention silky smooth fps, no stutter or lag with Display tweaks.

display tweaks can be found here.

SSE Display Tweaks at Skyrim Special Edition Nexus - Mods and Community

Edited by niphilim222

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

No offense but this post isnt very helpful. I could not find the i setting in the skyrim "ini" not in documents my game skyrim and skyrim prefs or the skyrim ini in the game fodler itself also for nvidia inspecter where are those settings at to change the fps and vsync crap

Just remember - the game has undergone three or more updates since this 'fix' was published, and there is the SSE Display Tweaks that has adjustments after all of them have been finalized. Take a look there, and see if there is anything there for you. The 1050 in your laptop may be considered marginal, depending on your installed memory and cpu.