How to pack Skyrim SE mods

From what I understood and feel free to correct this procedure if you feel its wrong.

• The Archive tool in the tools should not be used.( doesn't compress and doesn't convert )
  • The archive tool in the CK is bugged and doesn't pick all the items in a mod
  • The CK inner packer is the one to be used , the other in loose folder is old and not supported

1. Pick all the loose files of the mod and drop into the Data folder ( the loose files are needed and shoudl be used from the CK to load the mod )
  2. load the esp and save ( this generates possible extra content that might bee needed like facetint files and facegen )
  3. login to Bethnet
  4. Select create archive and pick windows
  5. delete all the listed items
  6. go into each folder of your mod and drag and drop the loose files ( not the folders ) into the window
  7. proceede to do this for each single file needed for the mod, the paths will be automatically setup in the archiver list
  8. once finished loading all the needed files into the list export that list as archive file to be used later .
  9. pack the files for pc and it will ask two saves , one for normal BSA and one for Textures BSA that will be converted and compressed ( here is the big difference with the other external archive tool in theloose folders)
  10. save the bsa file just like the name of your esp and the textures one like "yourmodname - Textures.bsa" this will pack the files and allow to be uploaded for pc
  11. Now create new archive , delete the files in the list and import the archive list exported at point 7
  12. pack the files for xbox , but save those inside the subfolder of data called "XB1" and not simply in the data folder
  13. save as naming at point 10
  14. now save and close
  15. in the creation kit ini, set under [Archive] at the line SResourceArchiveList2=Skyrim add the line "Mymod.bsa, Mymod - Textures.bsa" of course renaming to your mod name.
  16. delete the loose folders
  17. load the CK again checking that the files are correctly loaded by using simply the bsa of the pc version
  18. login to bethnet
  19. upload for PC , follow the procedure create a mod name and description overwrite files if you created a mod in precedence and you are updating its content.
  20. repeat procedure at 19 for console.

Note that the new texture pack will be considerably smaller than the original file size, for example my Conan hyborian age file size was over 700 mb in original bsa from skyrim , now its like 300 mb, I checked that unpacking it opens into over 600 mb so seems to be correct.

I followed all these steps, but it doesn't work.

I am converting my Horse replacer (replaces body and textures) I have a working version uploaded to Nexus (zip file containing the .esp the .bsa and the mesh and texture folders) my problem is that when uploading to bethnet the horses show up invisible (assuming it's because the required mesh and texture files aren't extracted to data)

After following your steps the horses show up invisible in CK too. What am I doing wrong?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Promethes, pleeeease help me. All my encounter mods I am migrating from PC to Xbox , like Obis, are crashing games, with ctds when npcs appear. This happens a lot less if i do not include face gen files. Do,npcs need special editing? When I look at them in creation kit some report tint layer errors.

And that second bsa texture file, how do I upload that? It does not upload for me.

Been trying for days. Going to bed at 4am. Works Nguyen my job like a walker.

Perhaps a dumb question, but is it possible to pack and use .bsa files without an .esp? I wanted to put in a bunch of newly-available weapon mesh replacers, but I want to avoid having a ton of loose files again (like I did in old Skyrim). I tried packing some into a .bsa and taking out the loose files, and it was a no-go, but if I create a named .esp and do nothing except make the .bsa it seems to work. I'm ok with another .esp if I need to, but if there's a way to do just .bsa, I'd like to try it.

Save the mod with the new ck this generates the needed facegen files , include all both nif and textruess , exclude the tga , and npcs u didn't touch.

Ok, but how to,upload that second bsa? The texture one?

Save the mod with the new ck this generates the needed facegen files , include all both nif and textruess , exclude the tga , and npcs u didn't touch.

pthe ck tells u 1 bsa and 1 for the textures.

pthe ck tells u 1 bsa and 1 for the textures.

Correct, it makes two. But the smaller texture one does,not get uploaded. How do I get the ckit when uploading to upload both bsa files? It seems to only upload one in my case.

From what I understood and feel free to correct this procedure if you feel its wrong.

• The Archive tool in the tools should not be used.( doesn't compress and doesn't convert )
  • The CK inner packer is the one to be used , the other in loose folder is old and not supported

Can you please remove this from your post? As I already told you in the private CK beta forum, this is completely incorrect. It compresses just fine and is not "old and not supported" considering Archive.exe is what the CK calls on the command line when packing the BSAs.

As you already shared with me in the private forum, you simply didn't know that you had to check the option "Compress Archive" and as far as conversion goes, it's completely irrelevant, as anyone can unpack their Skyrim BSAs with any number of programs, and repack it using Archive.exe.