Requesting knowledge on altering game mechanics (Illusion Magic)

lvl4laserbear

I would like to know what would go into creating a particular mod I have in mind.

I want to change the way Illusion spells work: Instead of totally working or totally fizzling I want a sort of meter that has to be filled for the spell to take effect. The more powerful the spell the more the meter fills. The more powerful the enemy the bigger the meter and possibly the higher resistance to illusion. This would mean that even weak illusion spells could work on high level enemies if they hit enough times.

Ideally this mechanic could be carried over to enchantments and other illusion effects.

The aim would be to make illusion a more flexible tool. Big 'f*#@ your s#*!' effects would take a little more work to achieve and smaller, single handed spells could still be viable throughout the game.

Obviously this would require tinkering and testing to for game balance and s#*!, what I'm more interested in is the mechanical possibility of it being created.

I don't have any experience in writing script or creating mods but it seems like a pretty tricky endeavour.

So I'm wondering what would go into creating this mod and how to make it reasonably stable.

What sort of tools would be needed, what sort of pitfalls would there be in implementing it? If I wanted to make this myself, what sort of tutorials and guides should I be watching and reading?

What are some similar mods to look at?

If someone else wants to make this mod or is in the process of making a similar mod, that's fantastic. Otherwise: how do?