GECK assert error (line 1996)

erei

Just to clarify, the OP did not download and install New Vegas Script Extender. The link actually goes to New Vegas Anti Crash, which does indeed work with Fallout 3.

What the OP actually did is open to question, since his/her last post is full of incorrect information.

Ahhh bummer , I got really excited there for a second thinking you could add NVSE functions for use with Fo3

Your such a kill joy M48A5 ... LOL just joking ya.

Hey good to see ya around these forums :smile: Was sad losing the old Beth forums .

@ erei ... Just an FYI , in order to use fose with the geck , your going to need to create a modified shortcut of

"Fose_Loader.exe"

After sending a shortcut of it from your install location to desktop. Right click and select properties.

From there click in the target field at the end. And giving one space outside the " make the end of the line look like this ...

Fallout 3\fose_loader.exe" -editor

Then you use that shortcut to launch the geck , and it will now have fose functionality.

Just to clarify, the OP did not download and install New Vegas Script Extender. The link actually goes to New Vegas Anti Crash, which does indeed work with Fallout 3.

What the OP actually did is open to question, since his/her last post is full of incorrect information.

Ahhh bummer , I got really excited there for a second thinking you could add NVSE functions for use with Fo3

Your such a kill joy M48A5 ... LOL just joking ya.

Hey good to see ya around these forums :smile: Was sad losing the old Beth forums .

@ erei ... Just an FYI , in order to use fose with the geck , your going to need to create a modified shortcut of

"Fose_Loader.exe"

After sending a shortcut of it from your install location to desktop. Right click and select properties.

From there click in the target field at the end. And giving one space outside the " make the end of the line look like this ...

Fallout 3\fose_loader.exe" -editor

Then you use that shortcut to launch the geck , and it will now have fose functionality.

I use the NVSE loader -editor thing with NV, and the GECK powerup for FO3. You can start the GECK with FOSE if you use the geck power up.

And no, as far as I know it's impossible to use NVSE with FO3. I'm sorry for the confusion, I double checked, and I clearly say "FOSE" and the link is pointing to FOSE.

What incorrect informations ?

I use the NV anti crash NVSE plugin, alongside FOSE, to play FO3. You can use FOSE with this plugin (using the -editor change) or the GECK powerup for FO3 to start the Geck with FOSE.

In both case it solves the issues I had, both with the game and the Geck.

Let me be clear for the solution :

-Install FOSE

-download the New Vegas Anti crash

-install it through a mod manager (apparently it works fine that way, I did it manually though, so I'm not sure)

-OR install the DLL manually here :

C:\...\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Fallout 3 goty\Data\FOSE\plugin

You will probably have to create the folder.

If you start with FOSE, the game should work now. The geck shouldn't yet.

To fix the geck, you have to start it with FOSE to. To do so, you either make a shortcut to FOSE_loader, and add "-editor" (without quotes) to the target, or you install FO3 geck powerup, and start with geckpu-fose.exe.

TO solve the issue with FO:NV, it's the same, just replace every occurrence of FOSE by NVSE, and use the NV directory.

Edited by erei

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/4994070-geck-assert-error-line-1996/page-2&do=findComment&comment=43831320

apparently you can use the mod manager to install the plugin. If you do manually, put the NVSE file into data, and change its name to FOSE.

What incorrect information's ?

And that is what we call "misinformation" a misleading statement. Once we see things like that? we walk away.

You typed that, and No, NVSE is not the same opt code for the game Fallout3. The very reason there are different Script Extender versions.

Changing the name does not change the internal code. and you can't load NVSE *'dll's into Fo3 and expect those to work with Fose.

Because of this, you can't blame anyone for criticizing your statements. Then the story quickly changed. So this thread is just a mess.

The issue was and still remains you had an error code with the Geck on a vanilla game...not a tweaked game which it soon became apparent as it is now.

antonyms are confusing but not Inapat's code.

highlighted in green is another misled statement "which mod manager?"

Mod managers place the codes into a DATA folder, never in the root of the folder...AKA a messy thread.

And you tired to hide it by editing the post.

BTW, so we are clear "antonyms" - (a word opposite in meaning to another (e.g., bad and good ).

If your running TTW which is both fallout games, asking for help here with it is just wrong.

TO solve the issue with FO:NV, it's the same, just replace every occurrence of FOSE by NVSE, and use the NV directory.

and no, it's not the same.

Edited by Purr4me

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/4994070-geck-assert-error-line-1996/page-2&do=findComment&comment=43831320

apparently you can use the mod manager to install the plugin. If you do manually, put the NVSE file into data, and change its name to FOSE.

What incorrect information's ?

And that is what we call "misinformation" a misleading statement. Once we see things like that? we walk away.

You typed that, and No, NVSE is not the same opt code for the game Fallout3. The very reason there are different Script Extender versions.

Changing the name does not change the internal code. and you can't load NVSE *'dll's into Fo3 and expect those to work with Fose.

Because of this, you can't blame anyone for criticizing your statements. Then the story quickly changed. So this thread is just a mess.

The issue was and still remains you had an error code with the Geck on a vanilla game...not a tweaked game which it soon became apparent as it is now.

antonyms are confusing but not Inapat's code.

highlighted in green is another misled statement "which mod manager?"

Mod managers place the codes into a DATA folder, never in the root of the folder...AKA a messy thread.

I was thinking "NVSE plugin" when I said "NVSE file". I'm sorry. And I was thinking changing the folder name, not the file name. Equally sorry.

I asked to change the folder name because the NVAC plugin use NVSE as folder name, and I assume it wouldn't work with FOSE, since I think FOSE use a FOSE folder name.

I'm sorry, it was 4am, I can't sleep due to IRL issues. I'm tired, and I'm not a native speaker. Yes, you should rename the FOLDER, not the file. And suddenly people are jumping on me like I'm the devil incarnate, misleading people into... something. Like deleting system32.

I'm not blaming anyone. You are. Quite aggressively. Yes I did a mistake. Sorry. Now, you have a choice, you can move along, and perhaps even be nice and rewrite the solution in proper English, to help, or turn this topic into a witch hunt.

As for mod manager, this is from the NVAC readme :

It should also be installable via mod manager for New Vegas, Fallout 3, Oblivion and Skyrim; would like confirmation that installing it via NMM, etc. works correctly for all 4 games (I only did minimal testing).

I'm not going to list all the managers available for FO3, Oblivion, FO:NV, which this plugin covers. The issue I had is apparently affecting those 3 games, I know I had it on NV and FO3. Which is why I added the manual install for the people who don't want to use a mod manager, or don't know how.

According from my google fu, this issue is actually related to an NVIDIA/Win 10 AU update. Apparently it broke something in those old games. Since the Geck is apparently using some version of the game itself in the render window, I suspect it made it crash (since the game was crashing to, as I saw later on). Now that's just speculation, but you apparently you are wanting for an explanation for the error I had, and this is all I could find.

BTW, the plugin IS NOT in the root of the folder, it's in data/NVSE. Unless you have FO3, in which case it's data/FOSE. And if you have Oblivion, that would be data/OBSE. Which is what I was trying to say.

The error was in vanilla Geck. Totally vanilla. I even took a screenshot of my entire directory, and yet, apparently it was not vanilla. Like I was hiding my mods, just to troll a random stranger on internet. Because I have nothing better to do in my life.

And you tired to hide it by editing the post.

BTW, so we are clear "antonyms" - (a word opposite in meaning to another (e.g., bad and good ).

If your running TTW which is both fallout games, asking for help here with it is just wrong.

and no, it's not the same.

It took me about 1minute to realize what is TTW. You are mad, and I don't even know why. I mean, I'm not using TTW. You have the screenshot as proof ! I don't even know why I have justify myself !

Yes, NVAC installation is very similar no matter if it's oblivion, fo3 or new vegas. The script extender change, not the folder name to, but that's it. You install it both in \data\(script extender name) then launch both game by using your appropriate script extender. Also, apparently if you use the mod manager of your choice, you don't even have to worry about changing the plugin folder name.

And editing ? Yes, I edited some typo, or some grammar because I'M NOT A NATIVE SPEAKER, and I'm sorry if I don't speak English properly ! I'm trying to HELP anyone who come here, sure I'm not fluent, and I'm struggling, but suddenly I'm a monster... because I'm suspected to run a mod ? Like for real ?

I don't even remember what I edited ! It was hours ago... Seriously, you are paranoid.

I'm sorry if my indication were not clear enough, and perhaps misleading. I'm sorry, alright ? It was in no way intentional, no need to grab the pitchfork yet.

Let me try to be even more clear then.

1/Install FOSE if you are using Fallout 3. NVSE if you are using F:NV. OBSE if you are using Oblivion.

2/Install NVAC using what you consider an appropriate mod manager. Please refer to the mod page and readme for more informations.

3/(optional) If you don't use a mod manager, then unzip the .dll from NVAC into C:\...\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Fallout 3 goty\Data\FOSE\plugin . If using Oblivion : \data\OBSE, if using NV : \data\NVSE

4/launch the game through the script extender (FOSE for Fallout 3, OBSE for Oblivion, NVSE for New Vegas).

5/For the Geck (or the Oblivion construction set), start it using the script extender. To do so, make a shortcut to the script extender (for example fose_loader.exe for Fallout 3). Right click on the newly created shortcut, and add "-editor" without the quotation mark in "target", at the end of the line. Then you can start the Geck/construction set by using this shortcut.

I'm doing my best right now. Can't do much more. Now, if you don't mind, it's 5am, and I hope I'll get some sleep.

Edited by erei

you misunderstand. Anyone using control data for both games withing the same conversation leads us to believe your looking for help with TTW and not saying anything about it. TTW support is not"supposed to be done here". There is a reason why the nexus will not support it and it's important not to assist .

No witch hunt. yeah, I am aggressive because time was wasted on a false hood, one said to be a mistake.

Your dealing with a vanilla issue and changed the entire topic to ( script-extender view points ) ergo pushing 3rd party fixes for a vanilla issue.

In totality, you speak for your self, no one holding your hands typing out all of this, your posts remain as is.

--------

I do not support FOSE

I do not support FNSE

I do not support any 3rd party tweaks, hacks, and subterfuge, trickery posting habits to push it..

you did well enogh here and are happy with it's turn out. That's fine and is ok with me.

your topic is still a mess. And no, I'm done with it and have /am moving on.

look at my avatar hun, know, get to know me. Look at my posts, histories...number of posts. You like to compare things, well, what I had to share was based on vanilla gaming processes...not this mess.

I'm not a noob. Apologies with insults at the same time ? really ?

Technically ,the bethesda game runs great, on windows 10 out of the box on install with the bad Nvidea drivers installed. it's the redering file that requires 1 adjustment to lie to the engine and OS, and it rocks. Not all of this BS.

The Garden of creation kit runs fine two, in all version in both games from the start.

( Processor: AMD A8-3870 APU with Radeon HD Graphics (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz)

so ,guess what? see ya.

you misunderstand. Anyone using control data for both games withing the same conversation leads us to believe your looking for help with TTW and not saying anything about it. TTW support is not"supposed to be done here". There is a reason why the nexus will not support it and it's important not to assist .

No witch hunt. yeah, I am aggressive because time was wasted on a false hood, one said to be a mistake.

Your dealing with a vanilla issue and changed the entire topic to ( script-extender view points ) ergo pushing 3rd party fixes for a vanilla issue.

In totality, you speak for your self, no one holding your hands typing out all of this, your posts remain as is.

--------

I do not support FOSE

I do not support FNSE

I do not support any 3rd party tweaks, hacks, and subterfuge, trickery posting habits to push it..

you did well enogh here and are happy with it's turn out. That's fine and is ok with me.

your topic is still a mess. And no, I'm done with it and have /am moving on.

look at my avatar hun, know, get to know me. Look at my posts, histories...number of posts. You like to compare things, well, what I had to share was based on vanilla gaming processes...not this mess.

I'm not a noob. Apologies with insults at the same time ? really ?

Technically ,the bethesda game runs great, on windows 10 out of the box on install with the bad Nvidea drivers installed. it's the redering file that requires 1 adjustment to lie to the engine and OS, and it rocks. Not all of this BS.

The Garden of creation kit runs fine two, in all version in both games from the start.

( Processor: AMD A8-3870 APU with Radeon HD Graphics (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz)

so ,guess what? see ya.

Nobody told me about the rendering file.

I was using NV and FO3 because I initially wanted to port some weapon from NV to FO3. Which means I need both game to do so. I can't publish the mod for obvious reasons though.

FOSE (and NVSE for the NV geck) helped me to solve the issue, and so far that is the only way I found to solve the problem. If you do have another, feel free to share.

People are not jumping on you personally erei ... they are trying to clarify this thread for posterity.

Because the words here do last way beyond this week next month and next year. Then search engines pick up key words bringing people here that could definitely lead to exponential misunderstandings.

That would have been awesome with NVSE functions working in Fo3 though ... hehe .

But for this thread c'est la vie

Edited by Mktavish

People are not jumping on you personally erei ... they are trying to clarify this thread for posterity.

Because the words here do last way beyond this week next month and next year. Then search engines pick up key words bringing people here that could definitely lead to exponential misunderstandings.

That would have been awesome with NVSE functions working in Fo3 though ... hehe .

But for this thread c'est la vie

What's done is done. I agree about this topic being useful in the future, that's why I added the solution I found, rather poorly at first, and I apologize. It works. Sure, you have to use a script extender and a plugin. But at least it works, and I'm sure for numerous people, being able to play and use the Geck is better than not.

Actually, as a follow up, the Geck power up have some issue with me (for example super slow camera in render view), and I'd suggest to not use it, and instead FOSE.

As for FOSE not having the function of NVSE, I think it's related to the old Windows live thing FO3 have. While it's not mandatory nowadays (since it doesn't work online anymore), it's still part of the game. This program used to run various anti cheat tool, and FOSE is considered a cheat tool. At least that's what I read somewhere^^

Anyway, as long as I'm concerned, this thread is done. The solution, albeit not the best one for some people, have been posted. If someone else have a better or another solution, please add it. I'm not going to post or check from now on, because it turned rather toxic and messy by the end, and the solution have been posted anyway. There is nothing more to add as far as I'm concerned.

LOL Fose is not a cheat tool ... oy ~ veh.

FOSE : stands for "Fall Out Script Extender"

NVSE : stands for "New Vegas Script Extender"

NVSE adds all the same functions that FOSE did ... and then some more.

A script extender just gives the machine more vocabulary it understands. (more functions)

Edited by Mktavish