Deleting with Fo3 Edit

Mktavish

What I am wondering ...

I have a file that deletes something from the vanilla file which I would like to undelete. This file also has many references I would like to delete. And I want to preserve the base-ID object tree.

Is there any problems I might expect from using this "Fo3 edited" file as my new base file to create the base for an uploadable file ?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure exactly what you are asking but I discovered, when I was doing a Skyrim mod, that you don't ever want to delete an object from the vanilla game. Mark them disabled instead or just move them underground. This avoids all the untidiness of all of those dangling references.

Not sure exactly what you are asking but I discovered, when I was doing a Skyrim mod, that you don't ever want to delete an object from the vanilla game. Mark them disabled instead or just move them underground. This avoids all the untidiness of all of those dangling references.

What he said. There are even instructions in the F03Edit Training manual on how to undelete and disable vanilla references.

This is done as part of mod cleaning.

You should never delete references in the vanilla game, just disable them. There is no telling if anything else in a mod or DLC relies on the reference.

Ya sorry I was rather vague. To clarify ... I had deleted the boarded up bandit house in north springvale ... then placed a player home there thats built out of many references.

But like you guys have mentioned ... it is used in other mods , and I would like to move my bunch of references to a new location. And restore that spot to vanilla.

So looking inside Fo3-edit ... it looks like what I have deleted shows up as a yellow highlighted reference ... although some have green lettering and some have grey lettering. Guess I'll have to check the manual to find out the significance of the difference in lettering. But I did a test by deleting the whole World Space folder out of my mod in Fo3-edit. Which it then appeared to put everything back and of course remove all my references ... plus my navmesh changes.

However putting all my references back in peiced together like they were is proving pretty daunting ... and it occured to me I could just select them all from the Cell reference window , then simply move them in the render window.

Which is great because then I can preserve all the scripting. And looks like the only thing will be redoing the navmesh at the new location. Plus deleting out my deletions and navmesh changes from the old location.

So now just wondering ... do you guys see any problems in the long term for that file being used ... like I should have just started over with a fresh file ?

Let me see if I understand, you deleted the "RanchDestroyed" (0001c6e8) and placed a new model in that location coordinates x 0, y 0, worldspace? Then navmeshed the around the new building, and now you want it back the way it was? Is there and interior cell to that new building? Did you modify the contour of the land around the new building?

BTW,

At the very bottom of the right window in FO3edit are three tabs, one is information, that one tells you what the colours mean.

~TS

Let me see if I understand, you deleted the "RanchDestroyed" (0001c6e8) and placed a new model in that location coordinates x 0, y 0, worldspace? Then navmeshed the around the new building, and now you want it back the way it was? Is there and interior cell to that new building? Did you modify the contour of the land around the new building?

BTW,

At the very bottom of the right window in FO3edit are three tabs, one is information, that one tells you what the colours mean.

~TS

Howdy TimeShadow ... I did all that with the "RanchDestroyed" except modifying the contour.

And yes deleting in Fo3 does seem to put it all back.

But you mentioning modifying the land contour has me curious. Because the new spot I want to put the house ... I don't like the land contour. Can I fairly easily modify that ? Basically the large ruined house up on the cliff just east of that location.

I don't like the height of the hill it sits on. Can that spot be flattened a bit ? Just the little bump it sits on , not the whole cliff.

Edited by Mktavish

• 4 weeks later...

@All here

I was invited here, but I also agreed not to discuss things with this mod authors wares unless I am placed into a situation I can't walk away from.

You may wish to call it self moderation. Already spoke too much about the subject on another-recent thread.

But you know where things stand.

kitty

Imagine if you will, the scope of things we can do with thought placed on the importance of correct alignment of the code and fully understand what it is your working with.

That ranch-house sits in a world space and can be effected by massive changes, the land space also can too.

12626430904_e10792b3aa_o.jpg

Broken steel adds details, some you may not be aware of. The above shot gives you a template surrounding things burnt into the games files structures and this shot does not hit on any objects but rather the landscapes.

Now, understand if you alter the landscape to chop it off flat, drop it down or raise it. If we flatten the land here, raise it or lower it, all the object seen in the image will not move. Sculpting the land means you needs to also sculpt all materials involved in the cell to match.

I was asked to attempt to explain things in more detail so to understand it better, so I will try.

Pulling in data from another place that is "hardcoded" is very hard to do, this next shot shows what LOD errors produce. It was pulled in from Point lookout, a world space totally different in design made for fallout 3 as a DLC add on. There is no references in the master file ,so it was assumed we could import it directly

This is that result.

2974656_1381015612.jpg

As you can see, it's rather Erie in appearances..I fixed this BTW but I never uploaded the work, it was a demo. All the shadows are not from the LOD's left behind, they belong to Point lookouts structures..you notice zero LOd's nor trees from default are seen at all here. Just the hard coded LOD's from point lookout.

Did not need to sculpt the land at all.

in a few moments I'll bring up the ranch house and discuss what can or cannot be done with it. If I am allowed?

So you know about this address and what it targets / addresses. ("RanchDestroyed" (0001c6e8)

When you have all the DLC's or other mods and due to load order controls, that address points to a DLC and not the master file even though you pulled it from it.

Ranch_1_Brkstl.jpg

More yet to come. after just grabbing all the data prior to setting up your changes, this needs to be saved so all the needed data from bellow is in sync with the master as an OVER RIDE control written into the esp file. Now you disable all the DLC content and load only the master file.

This is where you need to use xedit and a Java FO3utility in tandem and a copy of Broken steel set as an esp file with master flag turned off..more later on this as this deals with the GECK functions when"deleting data under it's control on load and save.

Fully automated results will take place.

But let's not get ahead here. other things must come first.

I'll remind you, there is a reason for the order of the trees in the plugins and a load order. It all has to jive.