Useful tips and information

leetgamer

~ It might say that it's an 'Old File', well, here's the answer :

If you get an error message about "Old file not found", first check that you downloaded the correct version of the patch (Shivering Isles and vanilla Oblivion have two different patches). The other reason for this error message is that you previously installed one of the Shivering Isles beta patches. Any PC users who installed the first Shivering Isles beta patch (version 1.2.0410) need to uninstall and reinstall Oblivion in order to install the final version of this patch. This problem also occurs if you are using the Direct2Drive version of Shivering Isles as the current patch is not compatible with it.

Ok, I'm running Oblivion GOTY version. I've been trying to install and load mods with no sucess. I decided to try installing the Shivering Isles patch and recieved the "old file" error that was mentioned. So twice I unistalled and reinstalled my game, and still no change. I don't know how to tell if my version of Oblivion is already patched or not, but as of yet I am having issues installing and using mods. I need help! As of yet I have not found a thread that directly applies to my situation, so I'm looking to the rest of you for help.

Thanks

John

There are many causes about the mods not working...

Make sure you got the latest Oblivion patch, then install SI, then patch SI. If the problem still persists.. it's beyond me

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you Google this:

"Old File not found. However, a file of the same name was found. No update done since file contents do not match."

you get TWO POINT FOUR SIX MILLION hits, with Bethesda / Oblivion a distinct minority. Of course there are at least 2.46 million clueless users who are too stupid to use the bathroom without help; that's just sense. The interesting part is the very broad spectrum of software packages that spit out this exact same message at the slightest provocation. Gotta love the Capitalization of "Old File." Talk about your forensic dead giveaways.

It's Friday and I'm frankly bored. I'm gonna hop on the horn and find out exactly which Acme Generico Software Inc. brain-trust is responsible for the Old File patch plague. With TWO POINT FOUR SIX MILLION hits, come on, there's nowhere to hide, you know. Strictly from curiosity, you understand. My installation will be complete "nalyevo" this evening, so I don't have to scrape and beg for solutions, but I do confess I'm intrigued in a car-crash-slow-motion kind of way.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Excuse me for asking a stupid question.

I registered here, and can't download anything on TESnexus that I could not already download without a registration - i.e. anything over 2MB. I get to the password page upon requesting the download, it asks me for my name and password, and simply bounces it, asking for name and password again.

From what I read, I understood that I pay for a premium, fast, download service, but the slow downloading is free.

Obviously, I can remember my password or would not be writing here.

So my attempt at oblivion modding fell at the first hurdle.

What's the problem? Did I get it wrong, and I have to pay something? I know you expect to have revenue at some point, but it would be nice to have one file without having to go through all the money stuff.

Myrivion.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...