Useful tips and information

leetgamer

I shall attempt to whittle my post down (( still a long post though :confused: ))

I had been running v.1.2.0416 on my Windows 7, 64-bit machine, and then I made a whole bunch of mistakes >.>

I downloaded a mod and then booted oblivion to test it. Immediately noticed tearing in the landscape and promptly disabled the mod to see if that was the cause. It wasn't.

I have screenshots of the tearing, but they're all .bmp 's and the imageshare doesn't support .bmp's.

The cities in the distance were floating (( and so were the trees )) even where the landscape had "turned invisible" (( gave it a weird sort of ethereal feel))

Was it a corruption of the save data? Nope.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling oblivion, and did that fix it? Nope. It made things worse :pinch: I noticed the v.1.1.#### and was like "oh... !$@#"

I tried downloading the patch, and it gave me the "old file not found..." error.

The solution to the 'old file' problem: actually have the Shivering Isles DLC file activated in the Data File UI :wallbash: however... that did not solve the "ripping"...

Edit: Got it fixed just now :biggrin: ... solution: in your Oblivion folder right click on OblivionLauncher and select Troubleshoot Compratability and then select Try Recommended Settings ...

I don't know, they worked for me (( but... then again... :sweat: both were "user error" (as in "user is an idiot" error ) on my end... soooo... :pinch: ))

Interesting!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope someone finds this useful, I learned part of this trick from mrbubblesort.

So if you want to use the Construction set without it crashing or you running into problems.

Allot of mods out there use OBSE, so you'll need that installed, but also you might be running vista or windows seven; which naturally deny the construction set privileges.

If you want to allow programs inside of your oblivion folder privileges to run-save-read-write information you'll have give them privileges.

You can do this by going to your bethesda softworks folder, right clicking the Oblivion folder inside it, going to properties and then going to security.

After you go to security, go down to the button in the middle of the box, it will say "Edit..." click this button, a new dialogue will open up with a bunch of check boxes under "Allow" and "Deny", check the box under "Allow" across from "Modify". This will check all boxes under that, this is okay.

Now hit okay, and wait for it to edit the privileges of everything inside oblivion.

Great, now all your programs in oblivion are free to save and read info without vista/7 interfering.

Next, if you want to actually edit some mods or make your own mods allong side these mods, you'll need to learn to launch CS (Construction Set) with OBSE enabled. do this by opening "Run" under accessories in the windows menu, then typeing in (depending on your OS) "C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\obse_loader.exe -editor" without quotation marks.(this is for windows 7 64bit, you can find out what it is for your OS by right clicking obse_loader.exe and opening control panel and checking its directory)

If you typed it in correctly based on your OS or layout, this will launch the CS with OBSE enabled, now you can edit/mod indiscriminately!

Hope this is useful.

I hope someone finds this useful, I learned part of this trick from mrbubblesort.

So if you want to use the Construction set without it crashing or you running into problems.

Allot of mods out there use OBSE, so you'll need that installed, but also you might be running vista or windows seven; which naturally deny the construction set privileges.

If you want to allow programs inside of your oblivion folder privileges to run-save-read-write information you'll have give them privileges.

You can do this by going to your bethesda softworks folder, right clicking the Oblivion folder inside it, going to properties and then going to security.

After you go to security, go down to the button in the middle of the box, it will say "Edit..." click this button, a new dialogue will open up with a bunch of check boxes under "Allow" and "Deny", check the box under "Allow" across from "Modify". This will check all boxes under that, this is okay.

Now hit okay, and wait for it to edit the privileges of everything inside oblivion.

Great, now all your programs in oblivion are free to save and read info without vista/7 interfering.

Next, if you want to actually edit some mods or make your own mods allong side these mods, you'll need to learn to launch CS (Construction Set) with OBSE enabled. do this by opening "Run" under accessories in the windows menu, then typeing in (depending on your OS) "C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\obse_loader.exe -editor" without quotation marks.(this is for windows 7 64bit, you can find out what it is for your OS by right clicking obse_loader.exe and opening control panel and checking its directory)

If you typed it in correctly based on your OS or layout, this will launch the CS with OBSE enabled, now you can edit/mod indiscriminately!

Hope this is useful.

Added it to the first page, thanks.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Couldn't spot this tip here anyplace, so...

If you are trying to run Oblivion with OBSE, and the system gets stuck in the menu loop with no text, try disabling the AA on your graphics card. You can then try turning the AA level up again until the problem recurs, but it may have to stay at 2x or off. Seems to be driver dependant, and has been seen on XP SP3.

• 4 weeks later...

@ Leetgamer - Bit of self promo :) but could you add Wrye Bash Pictorial Guide in there somewhere?

In fact the whole Wrye Bash, BOSS, Install order and Load order importance to modding Oblivion. Also applicable to OBMM so how you want to mix it up is your prerogative ... maybe a bit OTT for the target audience (who may never read it of course :D), but for completions sake.

I occasionally have a look around nexus forum for something similar to Bethsoft Oblivion Mods FAQ, I think your topic comes closest.

Edit: Also reference Archiveinvalidation, I occasionally see people with problems deriving from using BSA Alteration, which has long been accepted as a successful method - But a safer and just as effective method is BSA Redirection, which by default Wrye Bash and OBMM/OBMMex use.

Edit: Might be worth mentioning the continued development of Scenttree's OBMMex too.

Edited by Guest

• 2 months later...

@ Leetgamer - Bit of self promo :) but could you add Wrye Bash Pictorial Guide in there somewhere?

In fact the whole Wrye Bash, BOSS, Install order and Load order importance to modding Oblivion. Also applicable to OBMM so how you want to mix it up is your prerogative ... maybe a bit OTT for the target audience (who may never read it of course :D), but for completions sake.

I occasionally have a look around nexus forum for something similar to Bethsoft Oblivion Mods FAQ, I think your topic comes closest.

Edit: Also reference Archiveinvalidation, I occasionally see people with problems deriving from using BSA Alteration, which has long been accepted as a successful method - But a safer and just as effective method is BSA Redirection, which by default Wrye Bash and OBMM/OBMMex use.

Edit: Might be worth mentioning the continued development of Scenttree's OBMMex too.

I link to your pictorial an amazing amount Alt3n1ty, cuz its great. ;)

@leetgamer: Great article, and bookmarked for those who need to be enlightened on how things work to their advantage when the proper method of query is used :D

• 2 weeks later...

Frame skipping, or constant stutter.

A common problem evidently, but never for me until I recently upgraded my Catalyst to the latest version. The game subsequently started jumping a few times per second, particularly when PC or NPCs were in the frame. Reverted the driver, no dice. Tried all the fixes Google could find, none of them worked. Reinstalled with vanilla game with everything turned down to minimum...more of the same. Tried the Stutter-remover from Nexus; no dice. Oddly, Fallout3 was OK.

In the end I nixed ATI's useless Catalyst kit & downloaded & installed the Omega driver set. All became good again. Should have done that in the first place.

So it looks as if ATI's drivers & Oblivion don't always see eye to eye. :wacko:

My system is pretty old; WinXP, Pentium4 3MHz, ATI HD2400, but I'm happy enough if I'm getting 20-25fps at 1024x768, as long as it runs reasonably smoothly, which it mostly does, even with Unique Landscapes.

Edited by roquefort

the "old file not found..." error

or "file found, but different, so no update" error.

i think i know what causes that problem. particularly after a clean install.

i installed the game now twice today, and tried to patch it to 1.2.0#### whatever... and in both cases the number of errors was different. first try hat lots of errors, second try just one. both on a newly installed win 7 64 OS.

the reason i think i know whats causing it is that i had exactly the same problem, just different messages of course, with the patching of sacred 2. the patcher performs a CRC-check on the files being patched. if CRC-checksum doesn't conform, then patching will be aborted for the file, and the notification will be shown.

there is no good way to fix this. with sacred2 you had to recopy the corrupted files from the disks over and over until it worked. since the oblivion files are stored in .cab containers (extremely stupid decision by bethesda) it looks like one has to reinstall, until patching succeeds.

BUT that might not work, since the trouble could be with the disk itself. if that's the case it can't be solved, except by getting uncorrupted files elsewhere (for example a friend's disk).

i have no 100% guarantee that this is the problem, but the experiences a made so far are strongly suggesting that.

Im not sure if this is a tech problem, but for whatever reason if my character wears "tight" armours (like a lot of HGEC things), it clips with my characters body. All over, everywhere.

It's like if you imagine a "long sleeved" cuirass, the arm would become stripy, ie armor stripe, skin stripe, armor stripe, skin stripe etc. All over the body though.

This occurs with some carpets, tapestries, but never anything bulky like daedric armour. I have reinstalled HGEC several times and tried several different settings, none of which make any difference. Could this be a tech problem and if so, any ideas on a fix?

If it helps I am actually using a laptop to play oblivion, I use quite low grade textures for normal play but the problem happens even on "High Quality" settings.