Useful tips and information

leetgamer

Efficient leveling ... the eternal problem for vanilla Oblivion.

Can't tell you how long it takes, but I run the fixer every now and then, sometimes after I start noticing the Legion patrols torches get a little funny looking, sometimes even before I notice anything. If the bit is up to 46 or 47 I hit 'Fix me'. If you also run OBSE don't forget to rename the corresponding .obse save file (append OAF_ to the name). I do it to a copy of the original so I always have a fallback position.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Efficient leveling ... the eternal problem for vanilla Oblivion.

Can't tell you how long it takes, but I run the fixer every now and then, sometimes after I start noticing the Legion patrols torches get a little funny looking, sometimes even before I notice anything. If the bit is up to 46 or 47 I hit 'Fix me'. If you also run OBSE don't forget to rename the corresponding .obse save file (append OAF_ to the name). I do it to a copy of the original so I always have a fallback position.

Yes, I do run the OBSE, because of the hot key extender mod. Good tip, I had forgotten how things worked with it. Game is still crashing 50% of the time when exiting but no crashes while trying to save. ( Since installing the NMM ) What are you talking about the "bit" being 46 or 47? You lost me.

In the OAF window you'll see a box that says 'Byte:' above it (third box to the right of the 'FixMe' button). When the value in that box gets to 49 and greater you have the stuck animation problem. I don't wait until it gets that high (matter of fact mine is at 47 right now, so 'FixMe' it is). Then it's just a matter of renaming a copy of 'CustomClass1216.obse' to 'OAF_CustomClass1216.obse' to match 'OAF_CustomClass1216.ess'.

I'm having a 'new' problem... a "middle-age character" with about 86 hours of play-n-crash time...

The problem has been and has gotten worse -- that I can play 'for a little while'... but crashes are likely the more distance I cover -- or at door points or fast travel.

Usually, I have a recent save -- within 5-10 minutes -- Use 'streamsave' .. that's been the only way to make progress, as it crashes so often.

The thing is, that *usually*, after re-entry, I can go into whatever door or fast travel...or whatever...

I've gone back and forth between trying to add things now and then but usually backing things back out to get some minimal uptime. I find if I am in a dungeon, crashes are *less* likely to happen than outdoor areas....outdoors, just walking 3ft or 100ft (it varies) I can get a crash...

One point earlier today, I couldn't load a save without it crashing within the first 15 seconds of me getting there. interesting thing about that is that from earlier saves, if I walk forward to the saved point, the game would also crash -- like it was a 'bad place'.

So I walked in a different direction -- around the unstable area and did a dungeon, but last I tried, found I had problems leaving the dungeon without a crash.

Haven't exhausted solutions there -- one thing that has worked in the past. Teleport spell to someplace else like a mages guild or such. that seems to usually get around the crash area.

All my mods have been cleaned -- AND when I do exit, it exits w/o crashing!...

I'm using a very minimal bashed-patch... with no combined mods -- just having it "tweak" things,

actors, assorted, clothes, names settings...

Earlier -- it may have been coincidence, but when I stopped putting a bunch of things in the bashed patch, the game got more stable. (maybe it's just changes, sometimes that randomly make things better)... Right now using archiveinvalidation!.bsa, though have at times found that not using it has gotten around a few probs (but causing others).

I do use RAEVWD and run TES4LODgen... I also have all the ULComp1.72BAIN, the tamriel height maps (which I though would make it more stable, but maybe not?), and also finally got ElsweyrAnequina+Valenwood up...though haven't been there much as I'm not sure how stable the area is...but looks good on the dynamic map....

Have the Beautiful people series loaded + stock addons... but I get a lot mroe stability if I remove

all the xul/addons... which really is poopy, as I really like the scenery!.....

Anyway... main symptom has been -- more cells I "cover" =>greater chance of crashing.

Almost like it runs out of memory to load things -- because it isn't unloading the old stuff.

(Have 1.5G in VRAM on an Nvidia 600 series card)...

So sad...I remember having so much fun when it was stable -- now it is so much work. 100's (like 300-400 crashes logged in the Win-app log over the past year or so...) But I got exposed to too many neat extensions...that **seem** stable....well usually...never can tell which might be interacting with which.....

I can post a mod list if anyone is intersted....but is there some reason cells wouldn't be let out of memory to make way for new ones?

Sorta a shot in the dark. Very sad... Has been my favorite game ever.

Wish Bethesda would release the source so the bugs could get fixed -- unless Bethesda wants to issue another update for Ob. (fat chance). Salt in the wound: MS-keeps telling me there is a fix for my app crashing... and tells me to go to bethesda download site to get new version... the link

is a 404...

LAME...

Cheers!

Astara

• 1 year later...

I can't find the right topic/thread for my question :sad: I'll ask here and if it's wrong then I hope the admins will help find where to post. Ok. I recently decided to play Oblivion again. Knights and Shivering included, reinstalled and updated my disks/CD's. Missed the loose DLC's, no longer on sale. Played for a bit, then discovered that Steam still had those. Got the Steam-version, all included, ya'll know,,, the horse, the Froscag-thingy tower, whatever, those. So. :

Is there any way to transf. my saved files to the Steam version? The saves, the mods, everything?

Edited by Nerevarina2013

• 1 year later...