No Error-Game Won't Launch

evilman987

I recently got New Vegas on my laptop and I ran into a problem of it not running at all, just activating in task manager sure but a background process that soon closes. Can someone help me fix this problem so i can enjoy my game.

P.S. i have no admin privileges, this is my family laptop.

1. Where did you install FNV? If under the default Steam location of the "C:\Program Files" tree, move it out. See the article "Installing Games on Windows Vista+" in my signature for why and how.

2. Have you ever gotten the game to start? If not, do you have the minimum system requirements as laid out here? If you aren't sure, please list your CPU, System RAM, Video adapter and it's "on-board" VRAM, and version of Windows as well as if it is a 32-bit or 64-bit version.

3. Have you looked in the Windows "Event Viewer" for errors under either the "System" or "Applications" filters? This is under the "Start" button | "All Programs" | "Administrative Tools", but you do not need to be an admin to use them. There are lots of internet articles on reading this.

That will at least give us a starting point to figuring out what is wrong.

-Dubious-

1. Where did you install FNV? If under the default Steam location of the "C:\Program Files" tree, move it out. See the article "Installing Games on Windows Vista+" in my signature for why and how.

2. Have you ever gotten the game to start? If not, do you have the minimum system requirements as laid out here? If you aren't sure, please list your CPU, System RAM, Video adapter and it's "on-board" VRAM, and version of Windows as well as if it is a 32-bit or 64-bit version.

3. Have you looked in the Windows "Event Viewer" for errors under either the "System" or "Applications" filters? This is under the "Start" button | "All Programs" | "Administrative Tools", but you do not need to be an admin to use them. There are lots of internet articles on reading this.

That will at least give us a starting point to figuring out what is wrong.

-Dubious-

I have it installed on my desktop, not steam. i have not gotten it running yet, as i said. requirements are good. and parents blocked that. can only get launcher open and it says please install the game.

A legitimate copy of the game has to be installed from Steam, even if it was installed from a CD. All you did in that instance was install the "Steam Client" which lets you connect to Steam to download and install the actual game. Once installed you still have to launch the Client to play the game.

(But if you got it from a torrent, we can't help you. That would be a pirate copy and forum rules prohibit any discussion about pirate software. That hack to avoid Steam generally prevents mods from working correctly anyway.)

When you do download and install it, don't let it install to the default location of "C:\Program Files". That will cause problems. Read the article "Installing Games on Windows Vista+" in my signature on why not and how to get it to install elsewhere. You likely will need to get your parents help with that.

Then read the wiki article "FNV General Mod Use Advice" on how to get started.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

A legitimate copy of the game has to be installed from Steam, even if it was installed from a CD. All you did in that instance was install the "Steam Client" which lets you connect to Steam to download and install the actual game. Once installed you still have to launch the Client to play the game.

(But if you got it from a torrent, we can't help you. That would be a pirate copy and forum rules prohibit any discussion about pirate software. That hack to avoid Steam generally prevents mods from working correctly anyway.)

When you do download and install it, don't let it install to the default location of "C:\Program Files". That will cause problems. Read the article "Installing Games on Windows Vista+" in my signature on why not and how to get it to install elsewhere. You likely will need to get your parents help with that.

Then read the wiki article "FNV General Mod Use Advice" on how to get started.

-Dubious-

I got it from steam but on a different computer because this one isn't allowed to have it

Yeah just the restrictions part, they know how to put them on but not take them off. a.k.a. they forgot the admin pass and can't reset it do to laptop and restrictions.

edit- i think i just need to change the registry from what I've read, anyone know how to do that?

Edited by evilman987

You won't be able to change the registry manually without being an admin. If you already have the game installed on another computer, then when you login to Steam from the laptop, it should recognize it is a different machine, and allow you to switch your game "license" to the new machine and install it there. You can do this for up to 5 machines as I recall. But again, to install you need to have an admin account password.

So, without the admin password you are totally out of luck. This is by design. Your parents are probably going to have to take it into a computer shop to have the admin password reset if they have forgotten it. That is beyond the scope of the help we can provide here.

-Dubious-