How do I run NVSE through FOMM

LordFlashheart

As title really. I have NVSE installed, but it doesn't seem to run when I play Fallout NV through the FOMM... meaning that I cannot use mods like the Pipboy 2500 or say Project Nevada through FOMM.

I know I can just boot up FONV using Steam, but frankly I just don't want to do that since I've become used to using FOMM for playing both FO3 (where FOSE works just fine...) and FONV (where NVSE doesn't work even though it's installed...)

So what i want to know is this - is there a way I can get NVSE to work when I boot up FONV through the FOMM? If so how do I do this?

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm not too keen on Steam either. Always play off-line -which has nothing to do with your question, I know :whistling:

I don't know what kind of rig you have, but I'm using this 4Gb enabler: http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=35262. I have put it on my desktop and always click there to start playing. It loads NVSE beautifully.

I know that it was not excactly what you asked for -just a suggestion. I'm using FOMM myself, but only for installing/uninstalling mods, sorting loadorder etc.

all legal versions of this game use steam

all legal loaders for this game start steam then start the game

if NVSE doesn't work, you are not using it correctly

as it starts from the vanilla steam loader naturally

all legal versions of this game use steam

all legal loaders for this game start steam then start the game

if NVSE doesn't work, you are not using it correctly

as it starts from the vanilla steam loader naturally

I am positive that you're right, in my case anyway. My problem is that when following the installation instructions, I don'[t have any luck. I'm seriously considering taking my new rig to a repair tech and having them install FVSE. I hesitate because not only would it cost at lest 5x the price of the entire FNV game, but I'd eventually just screw it up anyway.

Can you tell I'm frustrated?

Edited by trog69

I'm with Fonger in this case, if it not work out of box you somewhere made a fatal mistake, note that this is a dual edged statement and can take you to a path you not was prepared for...

I only put up this since I could not find this task explained in the Nexus wiki

Part 1

The latest NVSE you can always find at http://nvse.silverlock.org/

Also on this page is a brief walk through how to install and the most usual Q/A for it.

Note this from the site:

"Compatibility: NVSE will support the latest version of Fallout available on Steam, and only this version (currently 1.4.0.525). When a new version is released, we will update as soon as possible; please be patient. We also support the 1.4.0.518 version of the NV GECK. The German "no gore" version is now supported."

If you ran with Steam online at least at some time the last few months you should have been patched to these versions.

Secondly after unpacking the NVSE file you will get a readme that frankly tell what and where to put the included files. A hint! it is NOT under the Data folder but above that one.

Part 2

The latest available FOMM version (0.13.21) is found here: http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=36901

(Now this manager will in near future be superseded by the NMM manager when it get past the Beta testings: http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/460588-start-here/ )

After install, FOMM auto-magically detect you use NVSE, if you succeed with Part 1 install it will start the game through NVSE loader.

More complicated it should not need to be.

If you run Vista or Windows 7 and use default installs the dreaded UAC feature might put sticks in your wheels, but that is another story. Do a seek on this forum and on Google to find out all the different ways to fix that one.

Just to say UAC was created to save you from mischief so the most easy solution to completely turn of UAC is almost never the best solution.

I hope this will get you on the track about what you might have missed...

• 6 years later...

From the GOG forum:

Zanderat: If you want full functionality from NVSE, DO NOT LAUNCH IT THROUGH GALAXY. Use nvse_loader.exe instead.

Point FOMM to use the "nvse_loader.exe" file to launch the game. Please see the 'Checklist Item #4' entry in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" article.

The GOG version functions exactly the same as the Steam version, except you do not need (or want) to patch it to use 4GB of memory. It's comes patched already. All the mods and addons (such as NVSE) see no difference between them. (Only something that attempts to hex edit the executable code itself will see any difference.)

-Dubious-

• 2 years later...

Please note the date of the previous post, and see the Nexus "Terms of Service" about not resurrecting old threads. The primary reason is that the original thread participants are seldom still around, and it is unlikely that you have exactly the same setup. Details matter.

That said, you first need to install NVSE correctly. That means "manually": as mod managers attempt to place it in the wrong location. Which is explained in detail in the 'Checklist Item #4' entry in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" article.

Run the "FalloutLauncher" once (and only once) so it will initially detect your hardware and create the INI files in your "C:\Users\<AccountName>" game folder.

Then (and here is the updated solution since that years earlier response) install the FNV 4GB Patcher (even with the GOG version). For FNV Steam users (and now for GOG users as well with v1.4 or later) the tool easily solves the problem of the 2GB memory limit and loading NVSE for both the game and '''GECK'''. (Older versions of the tool are deprecated. The latest version (v1.4+) now supports the GOG version for auto loading NVSE, and the "NVSE_CONFIG.INI" file created by it does not work for the GOG version without RoyBatty's patch (included).

Once patched, just launch "FalloutNV.EXE" file to run the game in "offline mode".

I recommend anyone read the entire "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article to understand the differences between this game and others you may have experience with; especially if this is your first attempt to play a modded FNV or it's been more than a year since you last did so. It is designed for someone who has never played a modded PC game before, so it tries to avoid making any assumptions, is kept "up-to-date", and covers years of "lessons learned". It is NOT a list of various mods to install that happen to work on the author's machine. It addresses fundamentals underlying how to get the basic game and mods to work together. At least 90% of everything I post in the "Technical Support" sub-forum is already in that article.

-Dubious-

"The primary reason is that the original thread participants are seldom still around, and it is unlikely that you have exactly the same setup. Details matter."

----------------

I strongly disagree. I've often ploughed through old forum posts for possible solutions and found them! - not least because I usually play old games and almost always on older devices and operating systems. And sometimes I've found someone else posting a very belated solution and I was very darn grateful that they had resurrected that old thread - often because they had been chasing the same old problem I was and found a new/better answer, or discovered that the original answer given was a bad one. Too many today are trying to reinvent forums as a form of more instant mayfly social media, when in fact they're as much (or more) a much longer-term repository of knowledge - and if someone wants to add or resurrect an old line of enquiry then they should.

But if you're so certain of the pointlessness of old threads then petition to have them deleted. But while you're at please also consider to stop adding "dubious" after every posting you make - the first couple of times I read it I thought you were either unsure of your answer or were being critical/doubtful/sarcastic of what someone else was saying.

Edited by streetyson