Teleshopping / Mail Order Catalogue

pra

I think I mentioned this idea in some other topics, but I thought I give it it's own thread.

So the idea is: there is some warehouse which belonged to a teleshopping company, which is operated by robots who will still happily accept any orders and deliver stuff to you.

I see two possibilities how this could be implemented:

a) You can build a phone in your settlements. Maybe with a desk, chair, and some sort of a sattelite dish to explain how the signal actually reaches anything. When you activate it, it's basically just a normal trader with some Mr. Handy lines, I think there should be enough in the game. I don't think that it is possible to prevent him from buying, but he could at least have 0 caps.

b) You build either a special terminal or some sort of a Remote Terminal Unit ("Access our store at any time from your home terminal, through the magic of radio!") which you can then access from a connected terminal. Then you get an interface, similar to that of the book return stations or to the price terminal in the Nuka Arcade: You first select a category, like Weapons, Ammo, Armor, Construction Materials, Food, Medicine, Household Items, then the item, then potentially the quantity.

Everything costs Pre-War Money, not caps, and is not affected by any trading perks. On the up side, everything is slightly cheaper than it would be if you sold the pre-war money and then used the caps to buy the stuff, and they have an infinite supply of everything.

I think it would be easiest to deduce the money instantly, without implementing any kind of shopping cart. After you exit the terminal, an indestructible eyebot appears and gives you the stuff you ordered. Or, an "airdrop chest" containing everything is spawned and descends. The chest should then be scrappable.

This shop would offer pre-war stuff only, only industrially-made things, and nothing which would be illegal for a pre-war american to buy. This means, no pipe weapons, no raider armor, no radroach meat, not fat-men, no mini-nukes.

If b) is implemented, it could have a menu structure like this:

• Weapons
    • Combat Knive
    • Security Baton
    • Switchblade
    • Knuckles
    • + most pre-war pistols and rifles which aren't handmade, including laser and plasma. No heavy weapons of any kind, no gauss rifles
  • Ammo
    • Ammo for all weapons from Weapons, also grenades and mines. Probably only the frag and plasma variants, definitely not bottlecap and no nuke grenades. Or maybe no plasma, either.
  • Armor & Clothing
    • Combat armor, no other armor
    • All pre-war outfits in the "clean" version, including hats etc.
  • Tools
    • Pipe Wrench
    • Tire Iron
    • Meat Hook
    • Machete
    • Sledgehammer
    • Super Sledge (apparently it was used by construction crews pre-war)
    • Power Fist (same as super sledge)
    • All sorts of junk which might count as "tool"
  • Sport
    • Baseball Bat
    • Pool Cue
    • Boxing Glove
    • All sorts of "sport" junk, like baseballs, baseball gloves, dumbbells.
  • Household
    • Rolling Pin
    • All sorts of household junk items, plates, teapots, etc
  • Food & Medicine
    • All sorts of pre-war foodstuffs, like Sugar Bombs, Yum Yum Develed Eggs, Nuka Cola, etc. Maybe no Nuka Cola Quantum, though, it might be imba if you can use it to craft quantum grenades
    • stimpacks, antibiotics, and probably med-x, buffout and mentats. Not sure how legal they were back in the day. Probably no Psycho.
  • Construction Supplies
    • Shipments of all the raw materials

hahah, sweet!

this is all kinds of awesome.

you have a great idea here, and hopefully modders more capable than I are

intrigued by this as well.

Especially, if it combines with

Atomic Galleria settlement, and the General Atomics Factory...

and the Red Rockets Settlements Mod.

you can build quite 'immersive' lore-tastic settlements that way.

a DLC-devoid non-dependent version would be excellent,

and a lot of fun.

two Mr Handys or a Mr Handy and a Mz Wendy bot hover-in

saying "hupp-hupp hupp..."

"here's that stuff you ordered. Sign here, initial here..."

they empty the stuff onto the ground.

or, they can do a supply line to supply your settlement with x,y,z food or water,

for a monthly fee.

refueling your junk-jet with pre-war 'rockets'

(after the 'junk jet rocketship is nuke' mod)

would be worth the caps.

bowling balls and cannonballs for the broadsider would also be fun.

do they take caps? or only pre-war money?

do they take gold and silver?

what happens if you don't have prewar money?

would it be like if you don't have a subway token for

a subway steward Protectron?

do they take caps? or only pre-war money?

do they take gold and silver?

what happens if you don't have prewar money?

would it be like if you don't have a subway token for

a subway steward Protectron?

I'd say pre-war money only, because realism and balancing: they were programmed to take dollars, and since you would basically have an access to infinite resources, I think a small hurdle is in order. I mean, after some point you get caps basically thrown at you, pre-war money is at least somewhat scarce in lategame.

Delivery robots attacking you... Don't think that would be a good idea. You should definitely NOT be able to just kill them and get the stuff for free. They should be either indestructible or unlootable, or your order just doesn't exist in their inventory ("If an attempt to tamper with the delivery robots is detected, an integrated tactical nuclear device will destroy all items").

The easiest way to handle this would be: as soon as you select the item in the terminal, the money is removed from your inventory, or not, if you don't have enough.

Otherwise, the robot might just return to the factory if you can't pay him, and you don't get anything.

Or, he just hangs around until you pay him, being marked as indestructible. While he waits for payment, you can't issue any more orders.

hahaha

you cover a lot of exploits I ask about there...

the ol' "C.O.D... switcheroo trick" - call them out,

take the loot and loot the deliverer, rinse and repeat...

still, if an indestructible, aggro-able delivery person is there,

then that is a de-facto extra companion...

"welcome to the minutemen, as long as we're broke, which we are,

you're bound to stay in the minutemen...". :smile:

That's been done. I'm specifically thinking of the Underground Hideout mod in Fallout 3, where you use a terminal to order items and then I think 7 am the next day or something like that, a caravan would come by Rivet City. So it's definitely possible.