Poster Mod - 45-degree Rotation Error

devonapple

Hi, folks,

I've been working on a mod to add more posters to the settlement build options.

For this group of posters, I used an existing FO4 asset (the V111 poster source) and made a custom material swap for each different poster. However, that asset did not appear to include a P-WS-Autoplace marker.

So I edited the .nif in NifSkope, copied the BSConnectPoint::Parents asset from a similar.nif asset (one that works as intended in Fallout 4), and updated the "Name" to read "CPA" (which I had added to the String library in that file - again, to match the poster asset I was borrowing from).

After that, I was able to see the marker for the connect point in NifSkope.

When I previewed the .nif in Creation Kit, it complained it couldn't find the CPA asset (so I must not know what that actually is in the context of the game engine), but it successfully loaded the .nif, all of the materials displayed as intended, and the Creation Kit showed that the P-WS-Autoplace asset was in place, colored red (like other working assets).

So when I open Fallout 4 and try to place my new poster, it attaches at a roughly -45-degree angle (or 315 degrees, if you prefer).

I experimented with rotating the .nif in NifSkope, and the best I was able to get was 5 degrees or so off of flat.

Has anyone seen this and/or know how I would fix it?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

not sure if this will help and I'm only taking a guess. see what "Transform" the item uses and then try to match it to one of the other workshop paintings or posters.

again a guess, not at my Gaming PC so I can't look.

Thank you for the suggestion - would the "Transform" variable be visible in CK, NifSkope, or something else?

Good luck with your update!

I adapted V111SafetyPoster01.nif - it seems to have been a developer-only asset, so it didn't have a placement node.

If we're talking about the "Preview Transform", I already had "Preview Transform" set to "workshop_PoweredSpeaker01" for all of the STAT files that relied on the adapted V111SafetyPoster01.nif - I did that to emulate another modder's poster mod.

Creation Kit still gives me that error "MODELS:Missing root material: CPA" - I have no idea what that asset is.

I fiddled around with everything, found a few more posts about editing files in NifSkope, etc. I found out how to reorder things and get them attached to the right parents, and I did my best to emulate strong naming and assignment protocols. I still don't know the logic that determines why some file names are followed with a ":0", ":1", etc. One thing I'm not able to do well is to manipulate the attach point using the Quaternion settings - I'm just not getting it. I was hoping to experiment and rotate the attach point around to see how that did, but I just can't figure out how to do it right.

I exported all of my settings in a series of screenshots, but I couldn't upload them here, so here is a link to those files on my Google drive (9 shots all told):

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5aCjfAHYXoQTVNveGF5SlYxbzA

Thank you for your help, folks.

Edited by devonapple

Sorry I didn't write anything more detailed, was on my phone.

Checked your photos, looks fine but I can't see the rotation settings so maybe something there is wrong. Also you have -90 rotation on the BSTrishape, checking the vanilla nif it has 0 there. I'm not sure, haven't dabbeled much into how workshop items work but I think rotation should be untouched and if you want to edit the attachpoint rotation you do that under the value I mentioned above.

Check this excellent guide: http://stuyk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10&p=11#p11

The 90 degree rotation was intentional - without that, the plane doesn't match up with the anchor point. I tried moving the anchor point so it would match a 0,0,0 origin, but that was where I failed at Quaternion rotation manipulation.

Other things I solved:

I figured out what filename:1, filename:2, etc, meant - different assets within the same .nif.

I also figured out the reason CK was throwing MODEL errors - I had a bad ref in the wetness texture setting.

I figured out that CPA was all it needed to be - a string reference.

I got the CK to load the .nif without any errors.

I managed to trim down an original Painting Portrait .nif, remove the frame, and change all the refs to my own, and it loads my texture and material assets just fine. It's just not a portrait orientation (4x5) once you remove the frame, and portrait orientation was really vital for a large number of the posters I wanted to convert.

I think I'll try injecting the properly scaled asset into this working asset to see if I can't get it to work that way.

But thank you for coming in to give some 101 help here. I'll review the link you suggested!