invisible/underground wires

Olsan

These loose wires hanging around are an eyesore and a tripping hazard. I know there are conduits but they're annoying to deal with. I'm too lazy to learn how to mod my self so if anyone would make this, me and probably others would appreciate it.

I'd suggest a special type of connector which simply shares power between all of it's instances within a settlement. Some sort of an ender chest for energy. Then you just pretend that actually the wires run through the walls and the ground. Maybe also some check to see if they actually connect to the ground?

I'd suggest a special type of connector which simply shares power between all of it's instances within a settlement. Some sort of an ender chest for energy. Then you just pretend that actually the wires run through the walls and the ground. Maybe also some check to see if they actually connect to the ground?

If it used the vanilla method to "broadcast" power over a large area, it'd likely cause crashes. I've done testing with the electrical system in the past and it's a bit finicky.

If it used the vanilla method to "broadcast" power over a large area, it'd likely cause crashes. I've done testing with the electrical system in the past and it's a bit finicky.

That was not what I meant. I meant something like I posted here: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/4972960-better-wires-ways-to-share-power-between-settlements/?p=43543485

That idea was for sharing power between settlements primarily, but the concept should work just within a settlement as well

Hmm, I've always wondered about this. Seems to be quite the conundrum. Now, this may not bypass the wireless issues entirely, but I think I'll make the suggestion anyway. Pylons.

Pylons, as in, Starcraft Protoss pylons, in case that wasn't clear. Obviously I don't mean they should look like giant floating crystals, but rather that they should mimic their function by supporting wireless power transmission within a small-medium radius. Hopefully wireless power would work better if it were on a smaller scale and localized.

Edited by Wolfbane771

That was not what I meant. I meant something like I posted here: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/4972960-better-wires-ways-to-share-power-between-settlements/?p=43543485

That idea was for sharing power between settlements primarily, but the concept should work just within a settlement as well

You really need to call this a Tesla Coil, Tesla did do experiments with wireless power and had some success. He was able to light, lightbulbs spread out over the size of several football fields with no connection to the power source. However it did create a lot of static electricity.

I'm not an expert on this just watched a documentary on Tesla that was really interesting but feel free to look it up.

That's actually quite the clever concept.

That's actually quite the clever concept.

But maybe it's not good enough. The problem with this would be that if you were to have one node on a +50 generator, and then three nodes on -20 consumers each, each consumer node would only provide +10 power (because it looks at the others and sees: +50-20-20). So if there is more demand than production, you will be losing power.

Another idea:

- Calculate the power value for each node as mentioned in the other thread.

- Divide nodes into the ones with a surplus (positive power value) and demand (negative)

- Calculate the sum of all surplus nodes' power. Call it "pool"

- Calculate the sum of all demand nodes' power. Call it "totalDemand"

- Iterate through all demand nodes, for each calculate: nodePowerOutput = nodeDemand * pool / totalDemand

Basically, distribute the total power the network recieves to the nodes where the power is taken out, proportionally to the demand there. In the example above, that would make each of the consumer nodes output 16 power. Not enough to power everything which is connected to it, but at least no power is lost (except for rounding down the 16,66666...)

Hmm, now that I think about it: these calculations would have to happen each time something in the power grid changes. Of course I have no idea whenever it is even possible to intercept such an event, and how performant the end product would be...

Edited by pra