• Other prose
    • Song Lyrics
    • Other
  3. 3. Have you ever written in Druid's Garden

• Yes
    • No
    • Can't Remember
    • Not Saying

Dear Maharg67, thanks to you and your diligence in writing, you have made the Druid's Garden a very special place that deserves more kudos than we can give in one lifetime. You can count on my eternal (Kudos) gratitude... :happy:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, thank you Fifoo. I feel quite humbled and a bit surprised. I write because as a writer I am driven to write but such wonderful feedback is welcome. It helps get me through the hard times as a writer when my energies, my creativity, is not flowing so strongly.

If one wants to be good at writing, like anything else, it needs to be a habit, needs to be something you do at a consistent level. Like modding, one needs to focus on it. You do a mod it is not done overnight. You start at the basics. Often your first mod is not very good (except that it is always good). Same with writing. I have been writing a very long time but there are days I need to push myself into it even though once I start, I enjoy it. Then there is the editing, well that happens with modding in that a mod has to be refined. I have done some basic texture mods.

Modding quests needs writing in the writing of plots, of background information, of dialogue etc.

IDEA FOR WRITING SOMETHING, STARTING WITH THE FOLLOWING AND ADDING FROM 3 TO 9 WORDS.

I remember when.....

If one wants to be good at writing, like anything else, it needs to be a habit, needs to be something you do at a consistent level. Like modding, one needs to focus on it.

Same with writing. I have been writing a very long time but there are days I need to push myself into it even though once I start, I enjoy it.

Quite right. To improve your writing style, it is necessary to work over and over again. Considered one of the greatest writers of the French Third Republic, Anatole France was wont to say:

"Caress your sentence lengthily and it will eventually smile."

How to correct your writing style?

You have written your text, have reworked the content, you have eliminated the unnecessary and put everything you want to put. All the parts of your work are drawn. Now it's time to make it attractive and interesting, enjoyable to read.

It is essential to take this step once the text is in its final version in terms of content. This work, if done independently of the work on the content, is pleasant: we work on aesthetics, the text then embellishes.

Over time, you will see that the more you practiced this exercise the more your style will be improved, even in written texts of the first milking.

How to proceed?

Review your text and focus on the following points:

Accuracy.

Nouns used are accurate? Try different words before selecting one that, in context, work best. Beware of repetition: for a specific term playing a specific role in your work, it will be advisable not to use synonyms but to preserve it. The mean is rarely the precise meaning of the word to replace it, which can mislead the reader. Make use of repetition however with moderation and think of ways the language offers to avoid it. Make sure that the term you use is the proper term. Example: who makes an impasse has an even chance of missing the exam - not to miss, but he has a chance to succeed.

Clarity.

Check the length of the sentence, given a sentence with 20-25 words is understandable, beyond it becomes difficult to grasp. Make sure every sentence is built around a verb in a combined mode. Make sure of the validity of the use of time.

Sobriety.

Avoid overload adjectives. Hunt adverbs. In most cases, you can delete them. The meaning of the sentence will not suffer in their absence at all. Do not overuse of technical terms, acronyms and abbreviations.

Of course, it is difficult to master all the technical aspects of literary writing, it takes a lot of work. But, against party, all your efforts to improve your style will pay off and they will move from the chaos of ideas in structured text. :happy:

Thank you very much, Maharg67.

It will always be my pleasure to try to bring my modest contribution to this forum, and especially for those who show passion in what they undertake. :wink:

Write from experience, that is good advice, but one can use that in fanfic, dressing up that experience. Also one need not be tied by experience to writing only about certain experiences.

In my case I am looking for a bit of perfection in crafting which fits the stream of life. Like with the story I am working on trying to pen to perfection, "Ree Ver'se End". http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/blush.gif

I would like it to be a story that brings attention to other people's lives, not just for fulfilling my desires.

Early in the 1970's I started out thinking I would prefer Non-Fiction as it seemed I was always seeing, hearing, and getting mixed up in life which could not seem to find a place in the newspapers day to day description of living.

One year while I was looking for work I camped out at High Bridge Park. That few month's from the end of 1973 on into the spring of 1974 at the camp I discovered another way of life. I got passed over when the male bathroom attendant position was filled by a guy I knew from a state college nearby so in my gloom of the sinking feeling I could not even serve as a toilet bowl cleaner I began to slip into deeper depression. As a campfire died down I found myself chilled with a different kind of cold. Words grew out of the ashes as I drifted between dismay and dire worthless feelings.

I had a note book and tried to use word's to capture the way of life there. I even told a couple of people my intentions to write a book about the experiences, the people, and the ongoing construction problem's of Expo 74 in Spokane, Washington that year.

I literally got told by some people not to write about them. The seed of the idea to write stuck though and I decided to take the non-fiction course's through a mail in study course, "Writer's Digest". After a few month's of throwing out my notes I found out how fiction often used the basis of fact which could not be proved since time had taken some of the solid proof away so I turned to fiction when people would not agree to let me publish their names in the stories they shared with me. http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/sad.gif http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/blink.gif

• 2 weeks later...

The more you put into writing, the more you get from writing. Which makes it just like pretty much everything else from painting to learning to drive a car to getting fitter and much much more. :thumbsup: :dance: :yes:

Edited by Maharg67

• 1 month later...

Zen's Garden, in Druid's Garden, is now pinned so that it does not need to be bumped or constantly posted into to stay prominent.

Apart from poetry and fictional prose, please feel free to write non-fiction prose about your life, your interests, etc.