CK error when trying t convert .wav to .xwm

Every time I try, CK comes up with an error message saying that it is unable convert .wav files into .xwm. The error message doesn't give me much information, aside from letting me know it's failed, although it does say something about 'not initialized'.

I don't have any prior experience to go on, as this'll be the first time I've attempted to port one of my mods to Xbone.

When it comes to converting sound files to .xwm format, I've had problems before (outside of CK) and wasn't able to use any of the available converters from Nexus on my desktop (was running Windows7 at the time) - thankfully, I just downloaded it onto my 5-year old laptop and did it that way.

Does anyone know if converters in general (but especially the converter inside the CK as I'll be using it more in the future) are dependant on other software etc that I might be missing, and that this is what is causing the error messages?

Using Windows 10, CK is updated.

EDIT: could it be something to do with the way that the .wavs have been encoded? Do .wav files have to be in mono?

Edited by AGreatWeight

Additional question - what's the optimal bit-rate that .wav files should be encoded at, before being converted to .xwm files in CK?

I've been unable to find any answers to this question, so looking to see if the source file could be the problem. Any help is really appreciated, as this is holding up porting one of my mods to Xbone.

Edited by AGreatWeight

i had a similar conversion issue. I used Audacity to convert the problem files to a different bitrate, then the CK was able to handle them. Choose a standard bitrate like 44100 or 22050.

Edited by steve40

I can only speak for my mod (Brainwashing)

The pc version uses .wav files for the audio, for Xbone the CK converted them to .xwm (but only after I'd lowered the settings using Audacity, the converter in CK doesn't play nice with 48,000khz 32-bit sound files) which reduced the file size.

Let me put it this way: both PC and Xbox versions use .fuz which is .xwm + .lip combined. .xwm as you already know is a compressed .wav (audio) and the .lip format represents lip-syncincing file. So it's not a question of whether this is a PC or Xbox version but would you like to stay true to vanilla format (less buggy) or you'd like to ship heavy wav files of better quality (hardly noticable in-game if you ask me) to your mod users.

Edited by werr92

So if I understand correctly, recording audio in WAVE 44100Hz, 16 bit, MONO, then converting to .xwm, and combine with .lip to get the end result of the .fuz for best results? I ask because that let's me know what to record audio in for best compatability.