.OBJ -> .NIF issues

Alright, so I'm trying to get a model I made (In Blender) into Fallout 4. I know what to do on the Creation Kit end and also know how to make 3D models. I've followed several tutorials but haven't had any luck when trying to convert a .OBJ to a .NIF. The .NIF exporter plugin for Blender doesn't seem to work and hasn't been updated for some time. Every time I try to use the latest version, it just locks up. I have also heard that some users have used Outfit Studio to convert the models. I have tried this too, and it just crashes Outfit Studio.

I know it must be possible to do as people are adding custom models to the game, so... What am I doing wrong?

Before you start giving suggestions down that line, I do not own 3DS MAX, am not a student, can not afford it, and am not a pirate.

Thanks. :smile:

Edited by someoneyouknow

I use the 2.77a version of blender and export as obj and convert it in outfit studio (not bodyslide).

I do not use 2.49b blender.

One question, are you exporting a weapon or a armor? Because armor needs weight before you export them.

I meant Outfit Studio, sorry. But it's actually neither. It's a misc item, and it'd have the same properties as say... A bobby pin box.

Have you tried running it through Elrich (which comes with the Creation Kit)?

Aside from 3Ds Max and what you've tried there doesn't seem to be any more options, although you can most likely get help to get it working from someone who has done it successfully.

Elrich isn't something I've heard of noticed in the CK. I'll look for that.

EDIT: This doesn't seem to do anything more than clean up models.

"Elric's sole purpose is to convert nifs created by the exporter into something better optimized and/or correct for the game to use (and also handling format updates so we don't have to re-export every single asset every time we change the nif format). "

Edited by someoneyouknow

Im trying to figure out what its not working... For example if i take a simple vanilla blender cube (also without texture) export it as .obj and put it in outfit studio i can still use outfit studio to convert as .nif (and the model has no texture).

I think that its not working for you probably because

1) You do not have third party programs like net framework

2)Your model is builded up as a plane and not as a cube or is corrupted

3)Or outfit studio or blender is corrupted.

4) You are using a blender 2.68b or 2.49b

Try to export and convert a simple cube, and if it works the problem is your model and not a program.

Im trying to figure out what its not working... For example if i take a simple vanilla blender cube (also without texture) export it as .obj and put it in outfit studio i can still use outfit studio to convert as .nif (and the model has no texture).

I think that its not working for you probably because

1) You do not have third party programs like net framework

2)Your model is builded up as a plane and not as a cube or is corrupted

3)Or outfit studio or blender is corrupted.

4) You are using a blender 2.68b or 2.49b

Try to export and convert a simple cube, and if it works the problem is your model and not a program.

Will try, thanks.