The Silver Hand Faction

SirSilverscreen

It's rather strange for there to be an entire faction/group out there that you are not allowed to join. So, a fix to that is to make the SilverHand a joinable faction with quests. Essentially, it's just a reversal of the Companions story (forgive me for the puns in the quest names).

A Silver Tongue

This quest involves gaining support for the Silver Hand and getting new members to join. Spreading lies and rumors around via stronghold taverns and bards would be the best way to go about this, presumably with a high speech skill.

Base of Operations

In order to be a proper faction, the Silver Hand needs a place to call their home. You are sent to Driftshade Refuge to clear out all the bandits and turn it into a base of operations for your group. Once done, the silver hand will reside there and you be given your Trial Quest.

Kick the Dog

It is time to prove yourself to be a true member of the Silver Hand. You are given a (very weak) Silver Sword and told to join the other members in Dustman's Cairn for a trap. Unlike with the Companions' Proving Honor quest, this time the trap is mostly successful, killing Farkas while Aela manages to escape. Afterwards, you return to Driftshade Refuge to be initiated into the ranks of The Silver Hand.

Silver and Gold

Starting to run low on gold and supplies, the Silver Hand's sister camp at Gallows Rock asks you for help. Upon discovering that the faction as a whole is running out, you are given one of two options: Either make a deal with the Thieves Guild (easier to do if you've already joined them) or make deals with key shops in several holds. Either way, you are given items to return to Gallows Rock with. Unfortunately you reach the place right after the Companions raided the Rock in retaliation for the death of Farkas, and learn that they're headed to Driftshade Refuge next.

Rabid Beasts

You have to hurry to Driftshade Refuge to aid in their defense. You manage to get there just in time to fight off the two Companions that are still there (random NPCs). Upon killing them, you walk into the Refuge to find that they've killed the previous Silver Hand leader, Krev the Skinner.

Put the Dogs Down

After the companions daring attack on the Silver Hand's stronghold, it's time to finally bring an end to the Companions and their wolfy ways. You lead the assault upon Jorrvaskr, slaughtering the entire group and taking the heroes' hall as your own. In a ceremony for your victory, the fragments of Wuuthrad are melted down and reforged into a unique Silver Axe, the symbol of the Hand's vow to rid Skyrim of all Werewolves.

Hircine's Game

The victory over Jorrvaskr and the Companions is not the end of the story. During the celebration, Hircine himself comes before The Silver Hand. As much as he likes his hunting grounds being filled with followers, he is displeased that it's done so by attempting to "cleanse" the real world of his precious creations. On the other hand, he is amused how the Hand has turned his Hunters into the Hunted, and therefore issues an (ongoing) challenge: Every time you kill a Werewolf, offer its pelt and its blood to his (self-placed) shrine in Jorrvaskr, and he shall give a reward for it. What he doesn't tell you is that he uses the blood to create a new werewolf in Skyrim, thus creating a never-ending cycle and career for The Silver hand, as well as keep the god Hircine pleased.

A Silver Tongue pt. 2

After winning Jorrvaskr from the Companions, the group has a horrible reputation among Whiterun. The best way to fix this? Why just exposing the truth...if only that was easy. First you have to reveal Kodlak's journal to Irileth, which is a strong start to proving that the Companions were werewolves. Then, you have to repeat the first part by spreading rumors.
All Bark, More Bite
A particularly troublesome werewolf has been keeping a town in fear. The Silver Hand is being called to their rescue to rid them of the foul beast. This side quest is available any time after joining The Silver Hand.
A Silver Platter (optional)
You are sent out to gather food and supplies for the Refuge. This side quest is available any time after joining The Silver Hand. Completing Silver and Gold before this quest makes it much easier. Just go to a vendor/Thieves Guild and tell them to you'll deliver their shipment.
Picking up Slack (optional)
With the companions dead, Whiterun is forced to turn to the Silver Hand for completing the merc jobs, thus making use of several radiant quests from the Companions.
Silversmith (optional)

Upon being accepted into The Silver Hand, you can visit their weapons maker to learn how to craft your own silver weapons. The weapons themselves will be edited to be more effective against those with the Blood of the Wolf perk.

Silver Lining (optional)

If you speak to one of the NPCs, they explain that they became a member of the Silver Hand when a member of their family (mother, father, brother, sister, whatever) tried to kill them under the influence of the Wolf Blood. The member has yet to find them since he escaped, but the member states that he can see the horror of being a mindless beast. You and said member journey forth to find this specific Werewolf related to him, and bring an end to the person's "suffering."

The Silver Vigilant (optional)

The Vigilants of Standarr and the Silver Hand have a common hatred for warewolves, a relation that is recognized by a fellow member. You may set out to recruit a member of the Vigilant to become a member of the Silver Hand.

Silversmith (optional)

Upon being accepted into The Silver Hand, you can visit their weapons maker to learn how to craft your own silver weapons. The weapons themselves will be edited to be more effective against those with the Blood of the Wolf perk.

Silver Lining (optional)

If you speak to one of the NPCs, they explain that they became a member of the Silver Hand when a member of their family (mother, father, brother, sister, whatever) tried to kill them under the influence of the Wolf Blood. The member has yet to find them since he escaped, but the member states that he can see the horror of being a mindless beast. You and said member journey forth to find this specific Werewolf related to him, and bring an end to the person's "suffering."

The Silver Vigilant (optional)

The Vigilants of Standarr and the Silver Hand have a common hatred for warewolves, a relation that is recognized by a fellow member. You may set out to recruit a member of the Vigilant to become a member of the Silver Hand.

Pet the Dog (optional)

A side quest only available after the Silver Hand's story is completed. You are told of a reluctant werewolf who seeks to cure himself. The quest could quickly be ended by killing him like all the others, however you are given the option to follow through with the Hagraven quest in the original Companions story. This quest results in the cured werewolf joining the Silver Hand ranks and becoming an optional follower.

Edited by SirSilverscreen

• 9 months later...

I've wanted this for quite a while now. They added the Vigilantes of Stendarr against Daedra and Conjurers and the Dawnguard against Vampires, but they never made the option to join the silver Hand against the Companions. I don't get why they never included them as a joinable faction along with the Vigilantes. I know people have made mods for the Vigilantes, but nothing has been made for the silver Hand yet. Just boggles my mind.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Has this been made yet. Its deffinatly one mod id download. I don't like the werewolves or vampires in skyrim. I always cure myself of vampirism as soon as I contract the disease. I like to try and 100% skyrim every playthrough which unfortunately means having to become a werewolf. I always found it odd, that Bethesda didn't give you the option of joining the silver hand and not becoming a werewolf. The did it with dawnguard and the vampire lords. Its why I like Bethesda games, they normally give you choice, to have the werewolf curse forced upon you just don't seem very Bethesda to me. I really really hope someone sees this thread and makes it. I would but my skills with the ck do not stretch to such an under taking. If someone does decide to make this mod and need help with this such as lore books, diaries or buildings feel free to contact me and ill work with any ma that is willing and able to make this mod a reality and fix a big mistake made by bethesda

• 2 weeks later...

I think there was a modder who started creating something like this in oldrim but he ended up hitting a wall because Vignar Gray-Mane becoming a Jarl. Although the "destroy the thieves guild" mod had the same problem with Maven Black-Briar becoming Jarl and they solved it by restating the previous jarl in Riften, so maybe there is still a chance.
https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/912639-would-you-like-the-companions-to-be-destroyable/

• 2 years later...

i just happen to read that entire thing, after watching a video done by camelworks on youtube on this very topic.

in his video he suggests that the silver hand could have been within the companions at some point in their distant history.

eventually one of the members found out about "the circle" and quit or was exiled from being an companion, then as revenge he started his own faction in taking down the companions as they were now imposters ruling as companions.

but because their were numerous infected members, and there was no time to find sufficient evidence, it became better to build his own faction, so that one day they can take back the companions title as the rightful faction leaders once again, but for the time being, he chose to go under the name of "the silver hand"

i want to say the leader was this skinner guy as he was at the top of the ranks of the silver hand and the only non generic named NPC and was said to have defeated skyor as his werewolf corpse laid on the alter.

i mean it's just a theory, but id say it's a damn good one, with an compelling alternate story line that would make sense to the story the companions quest runs alongside.