NPC's Rattling When Sitting - Anyone Else?

Kodiak412

I think this may have started with the last update. When you go somewhere with some NPC's sitting I am now getting a heavy rattling. It looks like it is from something clipping with the floor or table and causing the metal rattle sound. In regular Skyrim you could sometimes see an object shaking or spinning and making that rattle noise.

I noticed this first with Breezehome and Lydia. When she sits in the chair in my bedroom her armor or weapon will clip into the floor or table and you will get that heavy rattle noise. Like something is making constant contact with something else and cause that sound effect.

I have tried disabling all mods thinking that could be it, but it was not a mod. I then went up to Dragonsreach and people were sitting at the tables and the sound was there too.

Anyone else either see the same thing or not? Thanks for any reply.

Here's the explanation . . . TL;DR at bottom.

If I'm guessing right, your monitor's refresh rate is 144hz. Hopefully, you have an nVidia based chipset, then the fix is pretty easy.

I had this problem, here is the reason: Skyrim's physics engine is CPU based, and goes nuts when your refresh rate is over 60 (it was designed to run at no more than 60 fps -- a.k.a. "consoles"). Skyrim SE has the same issue for some people that original Skyrim had, and the solution most of the time is refresh rate. The closer to 60fps you get, the more stable the physics gets. The reason you notice it in homes and taverns (and sometimes dungeons) is because in the wilderness, your fps drops much closer to the 60fps sanity zone. Inside areas, you probably max out fps to your monitor's refresh rate, causing the physics engine to vibrate everything. You can find more info by googling.

As I had the exact same problem you describe, this is how I fixed it. If you do this right, and it works, the change is immediately noticeable. I had constant clanking, thunking, sometimes with things bouncing around (with damage!). I did this, it all went away immediately:

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrim/comments/5cs6fx/144hz_fps_fix_how_to_lock_skyrim_ses_fps_to_60/