Hi,guys, any tips on how to 1) make the endgame challenging; 2) drink potions quickly?

ussrspace

I first played Skyrim in 2014 and I've never asked people on their gameplay.

In particular, I'm curious how people deal with how easy the game gets after a certain level. Once you get a high level in smithing and/or enchanting, god gear allows you to cut through the enemies like they're nothing (not to mention the final boss fight). Personally, I used to crank up the difficulty to the max and also ran a mod that adds higher-level enemies (bandits, draugr, and the like). There's a mod I use, "High Level Enemies 1.6," which people seem to find useful.

More importantly, I'm wondering how people deal with drinking potions. Because of the huge number of differently-named potions, its impossible to use one or two hotkeys to drink potions during battle. However, if you want to drink one during battle, you need to navigate the menus and this really breaks the flow of combat.

I personally find drinking potions during battle EXTREMELY unrealistic and try to avoid it.

Hey were in the middle of a sword fight to the death......let me feeeze time for a second so i can drink this magical potion lol. please dont attack me.

As for end game..........i dont share the popular view point on this.

Even with most overhauls once you get to a certain level and especially once you have mastered alchemy and enchanting the game WILL be easy.

This is how RPG's work. You start weak and by the end you are a god.

NPC's even if they are high level will NEVER be as strong as you because they dont have the perks and gear that you have. As well as not being as smart tactically.

If you want to keep the game somewhat challenging slow down your leveling and dont use super enchanted gear and weapons. If your character is perked out with high powered gear you WILL destroy everything you come across and its retarded to complain about.

One of many reasons i am a fan of Requiem is because unlike most overhauls it actually perks up NPCs and gives them access to the same perks and spells you have.

Also having "end game content" such as high level bosses designed for only super powerful characters helps keep end game fun.

In Requiem Vampires and dragon preists and dragons are very strong end game type enemies.

I assume you're using SkyUI, because using the inventory at all without SkyUI is just punishment. Categorized Favorites is a really nice option, and I use a custom version of the Oni Edition config file. Oni customizes the Categorized Favorites menu, but you may want to customize it more depending on what mods you use. You also probably want to turn off the Favorites menu checking option in the SkyUI MCM menu. Otherwise you get a false warning with CF installed.

You could also look at hot key mods. I haven't used any for a while, but most or all of them should allow you to map a bunch of different key combinations to various potions. Either (or both) hot keys and CF should help with potions and inventory problems in general.

For high level content, a lot of people make their own custom mix of mods. There are also big, popular overhauls like Requiem or SkyRe, but I prefer a custom mix of combat, spawn, deleveling, and enemy mods.

Skyrim Immersive Creatures - hugely configurable, excellent spawn system that randomizes spawns and makes it possible to run into extra enemies. I've had level 1 fights with 9 wolves. It also adds new creatures and enemies that fit the lore of the game. SIC by itself bumps difficulty up a notch. This is a permanent part of my load order.

Deadly Dragons and/or Dragon Combat Overhaul. If I'm playing a Dragonborn character I always use DD and sometimes use DCO. Look around for the DD script patch, too.

For encounter zones, I use a customized version of Perma ZONES Legendary Balanced. The standard version increases the encounter zone levels for all of the locations in Skyrim. The vanilla settings are ridiculous. With this mod, some areas are impossible at low levels, and difficult up to level 20 or 30. One other thing that I feel like the mod overdid is that it gave zones a small level range. I kept this for some areas, but widened it or made it scale in others.

So if default Skyrim sets Bleak Falls Barrow at 6 - 0. (Meaning everything will be 6th level, or higher depending on the player's level.), PermaZones might change this to 15 - 20. These numbers are just an example, because I'm too lazy to check the exact settings.

Though this makes a bigger difference for low levels, some locations are set for higher levels like 60 or 70, so it does make some fights tougher later in the game.

For high level content and general difficulty:

Vigor and/or Wildcat for improved weapons combat. Weapons Reach is shortened, stamina becomes important, etc.

Combat Evolved - adds and changes combat styles to make enemies smarter and more unique, also changes or adds abilities to make enemies more dangerous

Animal Tweaks - makes animals smarter and better fighters

Mortal Enemies - tweaks movement, and combat for various creatures. Has some conflicts with Animal Tweaks, but not in a bad way. Just load whichever you prefer later. If you're using Deadly Dragons or DCO, load those later, too.

Athletik Combat or Attack Commitment - These both alter movement and attack rotation angles. Athletik is more thorough and more harsh in it's changes. You'll notice the difference as soon as you load either and get in a fight.

A lot of people love Revenge of the Enemies or High Level Enemies. I like some things with these, but dislike others. Both are a little sloppy and a little random in their design. Either or both (not at the same time) are worth a try to see if you like them. RotE can have some stupid hard fights, so you've been warned.

OBIS - great bandit upgrade mod. You'll get some tough fights. I don't always use it because I hated the super-bandits with daedric or glass armors/weapons in Oblivion (this is much better, but does have super bandits). Plus, vanilla already has a lot of bandits, so even with the extra variety it bothers me a little. This is taste though, and the mod is well made and will up your challenge level.

There are a lot of similar mods out there that might be worth a look. The above is just a starter list.

Also, Duke Patrick's Combat mod is IMO, the best combat mod out there (or it was, I haven't tried recent versions). But it has a ton of features and is the kind of mod that you build your whole mod list around (same is true for Requiem and SkyRe). And it's script heavy and potentially introduces lag during combat. Because of these issues, most of my characters use Vigor or Wildcat plus the other listed mods. But I still return to DP once in a while.

Ordinator or PerMa are perk mods that are worth checking out, too. They can make big changes to your gameplay.

EDIT: Just saw that twiztedmongoloid suggested Advanced Adversary Encounters in another thread, as an improved alternative to RoTE. I think I'm going to try that myself.

The quickest and most sensible way to make endgame challenging is to 1). Not install a bunch of combat overhaul mods that make you extremely overpowered, 2). Refrain from abusing the native mechanics that allow you to create overpowered potions that allow you to smith/enchant gear to game-breaking levels, 3). Accept the fact that skeevers, wolves and common bandits are SUPPOSED to be one-shot kills, and to not try to tune the game in order to make piddly encounters challenging. If you adhere to these tenants, and you still feel no challenge when fighting ancient dragons, the Ebony Knight, dragon priests, and Braith at endgame, then you a god among insects.

The quickest and most sensible way to make endgame challenging is to 1). Not install a bunch of combat overhaul mods that make you extremely overpowered, 2). Refrain from abusing the native mechanics that allow you to create overpowered potions that allow you to smith/enchant gear to game-breaking levels,

OK, this just comes off as a bizarre response to me.

I've tried the majority of the combat mods out there. Some are badly designed, buggy, or otherwise broken. But I don't think I've ever seen a combat overhaul that made the game easier. In vanilla, you hit the overpowered threshold somewhere around level 10 - 20, depending on what difficulty you're playing on. From there you just get stronger. Even the mediocre overhauls push that threshold up by a few levels at least.

Regarding the late game, overhauls don't prevent you from being overpowered. They just slow down the onset of godhood, and some make it possible to die if you're careless even in the late game. Those are both huge positives to me.

Also, most vanilla content is scaled to your level, with minimum encounter zone levels set ridiculously low, usually in the teens or less. So if you count Encounter Zone mods as combat overhauls, you're just plain wrong--but maybe you were talking about other types of mods?

And again, mods like Advanced Adversaries, RotE, ASIS, etc, give enemies potions, perks, spells, and powers that they didn't have in vanilla. There's room for argument about whether a mod does a good job, but there's no question that they make enemies more dangerous and the game more difficult. Similarly, increased spawns don't make the game easier. When you're overpowered it might not make much difference, but fighting 9 wolves (or necromancers) is harder than 3. And 9 wolves that circle around you and have the ability to knock you down makes a huge difference in gameplay.

Regarding item (2), this is just my opinion, and it's no better than yours, but I would rather change the mechanics so they're not as exploitable (Complete Crafting Overhaul Remade, etc.). IMO, just using the native mechanics is abuse, as designed by Bethesda. The only way to avoid it is to lock yourself out of entire segments of gameplay, or to mod it so that you can actually use the content that's in the game.