How hard is it to port mods ?

Thepeon

I wonder because I wanted to start playing Skyrim again but after 8h and tons of frustration I gave up and started to play SSE because it runs better but there are like 3 mods I wish was ported now so I was thinking if it was not that damn hard maybe I could port them just for my self. 2 mods are armors mods one adds a new armor and one just makes vanilla armors looks bloody awesome and the third mods I rely want is a mod that adds a house, follower,weapon and armor to Skaal. What I know non of these 3 mods uses SKSE or SKUI so it will not be that hard I bet but I bet I need to change tons of stuff for it all to work? Im not moder but if the original moders don´t plan to port them I was thinking I should try to port them for my self to use so I can at least use the mods I love.

Sorry if I posted it the wrong section but it´s mod talk so I taught it would be correct to ask.

I have been wondering this myself. I have tried on a mod or two but they are not working correctly. One being My house is your house. I opened in CS for SSE but that didn't work, the book is there but no spell to Bless home. I'm not a modder but willing to try at least, and don't mind getting the permissions, etc needed to help people out.

Yeah I wanna know if it is something I wanna get my self in to or not and ofc I would ask for permissions even for private use.

If they were both 32 bit games using the same engine it would be quite easy as was evidenced by the number of mods that got direct ports from fallout 3 to fallout new vegas.

As for 32 bit to 64 I'm not sure. I'm waiting for SKSE before I really do anything with it & even then most of the mods I have made are rather simple and kept to myself or close friends.

If they were both 32 bit games using the same engine it would be quite easy as was evidenced by the number of mods that got direct ports from fallout 3 to fallout new vegas.

As for 32 bit to 64 I'm not sure. I'm waiting for SKSE before I really do anything with it & even then most of the mods I have made are rather simple and kept to myself or close friends.

Yeah I asked the mod creator for Skaal you need a mod I rely liked allot but even when she is online she don´t seam to answer if she plans to port it or wait for skse. But yeah I seen and read some stuff now and it seams to much for a total noob like me so I will have to wait and hope. SKSE would be nice to have because how much you can do with mods but when the time SKSE it out I proboly played my self sick of Skyrim for a second time hehe.

Depends on the mod.

Some require resave textures to another format, others require you to review their meshes, other work just fine out of the box while some other need to be resaved with the new CK.

Mods that required SKSE, requires some more work since you need to figure out how to do the same you did but without using any of the SKSE features.

I've successfully ported a number of follower and armor mods over with only a couple issues that I haven't solved yet, and I knew jack s@%t about Nifskope when I started. It's not that difficult for the most part, and the worst that can happen is the port doesn't work and you can't use the mod until you or someone else figures it out. Just make a hard-save before introducing your ported mods into your game, so you can revert if something does go badly wrong (unlikely in your case).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the middle of porting my follower mods and have found substantial information on doing so, but nothing on porting a player home, I have one that I want to port that has been fairly popular but I'm hesitant to move it over before I can get some solid info. I checked the link offered above and read the part about the new ground clutter and water mechanics (there's a pier involved) but nothing on objects, furniture and interior cells. If anyone knows of a good porting guide for player homes or any info at all about the subject I would appreciate the info. Thanks.