SSE NIF Optimizer

• Please log in to reply
1810 replies to this topic

ousnius

ousnius

Resident poster

• Premium Member
  • 9,978 posts
In response to post #54364808. #54367293, #54388113 are all replies on the same post.

Spoiler

Gerade für Outfits kannst du hier auch ganz einfach Outfit Studio verwenden. Dann musst du nicht mal irgendwas von X nach Y kopieren, sondern einfach alle NIFs in das Programm ziehen.

For outfits you can also just use Outfit Studio to create mashups by dropping all files into the program, instead of copying things from X to Y in NifSkope.

2H34M

2H34M

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
In response to post #54364808. #54367293, #54388113, #54389883 are all replies on the same post.

Spoiler

Did not know this is possible. Makes the process easier of course. thx :)

Edited by 2H34M, 15 October 2017 - 01:29 PM.

Resident poster

• Account closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,848 posts
Trying to understand, from a textures only archive from Oldrim, what if anything would need to be checked for incompatibility?

I understand this tool is primarily to optimize the meshes, but there is also an option to smooth normals. When should that option be used on an Oldrim mod?

Let's say for example: aMidianBorn Caves and Mines

Sorry so many questions, but I'm just trying to understand the possible file type incompatibilities for Oldrim mods.

Plugins, scripts, meshes, and...normals?

Thank you for creating this incredibly useful tool :)

R246

R246

Old hand

• Premium Member
  • 696 posts

Let me preface this by saying SSE NIF Optimizer is not the cause of this issue.

A few images of the issue: https://imgur.com/a/tqXJQ

Oldrim female eye meshes are all broken for me. Even the vanilla Oldrim eyesfemale.nif, freshly extracted from BSA exhibits the issue in NifSkope and Skyrim SE. The issue is part of the eye is gone. It's not black, it's physically gone and I can see through the missing part. Running the mesh through the Optimizer doesn't fix or worsen the issue. Oldrim male eye meshes aren't affected.

The mesh works fine in Oldrim obviously, and previous version of NifSkope. But it's always broken in SE. I can only imagine every single port of an Oldrim female follower has this issue. Recreating the heads with CK64 isn't feasible, so a fix, or a way to swap the eye mesh with a valid SE one is needed, if that's even possible...

Any thoughts?

Vyxenne

Vyxenne

Naughty Girl

• Premium Member
  • 10,068 posts
In response to post #54447578. #54450408, #54450613, #54452678, #54453563 are all replies on the same post.

Spoiler

from a textures only archive from Oldrim, what if anything would need to be checked for incompatibility?

Oldrim textures work pretty well right out of the box in SSE- no conversion required.

I'm just trying to understand the possible file type incompatibilities for Oldrim mods. Plugins, scripts, meshes, and...normals?

Some Oldrim meshes work in SSE without any conversion. That said, you should still Optimize them using NifOpt because there are Block and Node naming conventions in SSE that don't exist in Oldrim as well as other differences that only Ousnius can understand. :wub: The only reason NOT to optimze an Oldrim mesh for SSE is when it doesn't work after optimization. I have several mods whose meshes had to be reverted to Oldrim spec because optimizing them broke them, whether I optimized with "Smooth Normals" checked or not. And no, they're not headparts- they're minidress outfits. I couldn't even fix them in Outfit Studio, but I've been using them unconverted in my SSE for 11 months and had no problems so far.

Many, if not most, non-SKSE-dependent Oldrim plugins (esp/esm files) work in SSE without any conversion. That said, you should still resave them in CK64 to avoid potential hidden issues that don't surface until months later- by which time you have no idea what's causing them. Skyrim is like that.

Oldrim animations need to be converted for SSE using the Bethesda-provided tool. Please Google for details.

Oldrim BSAs need to be extracted for SSE and optionally repacked to a new SSE-spec BSA.

Non-SKSE-dependent Oldrim scripts mostly work fine in SSE and as far as I know there is no quick and easy way to "convert" them- they have to be rewritten if for some reason they don't work in SSE.

And finally, I have always been baffled by the "Smooth Normals" option in NifOpt. Like you, my paradigm is that "normals" are a type of texture that determines glossiness and shine. Why a mesh optimizer would be offering to smooth texture files it can't even find (because there are so many different ways of pointing to them other than specifying them in a mesh) has eluded me since the first time I saw it. Based on Ousnius's instructions when I asked about my meshes that exploded when I optimized them, the "Smooth Normals" option is just there to try in case NifOpt blows up your meshes. :teehee: To me, it's like a "feather propeller" control on a farm tractor- farm tractors ain't got no propellers. :D

Edited by Vyxenne, 16 October 2017 - 11:18 PM.

Resident poster

• Account closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,848 posts
In response to post #54447578. #54450248 is also a reply to the same post.

Spoiler

Thank you for getting me up to speed.

I thought that maybe the smooth normals option, had something to do with meshes tied to normal maps. Could be wrong though.

Feather propeller - LOL :P

Vyxenne

Vyxenne

Naughty Girl

• Premium Member
  • 10,068 posts
In response to post #54447578. #54450248, #54450408, #54452678, #54453563 are all replies on the same post.

Spoiler

You've never lived until your flight instructor cuts the critical engine on you while you are banked into it at 500 feet on a full-power night departure. Many seat cushions have gone mysteriously missing on such flights.

Edited by Vyxenne, 16 October 2017 - 11:20 PM.

ousnius

ousnius

Resident poster

• Premium Member
  • 9,978 posts
In response to post #54447578. #54450248, #54450408, #54450613 are all replies on the same post.

Spoiler

The normals that the NIF Optimizer is referring to are in the NIF file. They aren't texture files or normal maps, those are both different things.

Mesh normals are those the optimizer can smooth to potentially fix (or break) the way that things are lit. This is on a vertex basis (for every point in the mesh).

Normal map textures add fine detail to how a mesh is lit by the game. This is on a pixel basis, as opposed to using the mesh like mesh normals do.

TL;DR: The optimizer doesn't do anything to any textures, the normals it's referring to are in the geometry.

https://en.wikipedia...i/Vertex_normal
https://en.wikipedia.../Normal_mapping

Resident poster

• Account closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,848 posts
In response to post #54447578. #54450248, #54450408, #54450613, #54452678 are all replies on the same post.

Spoiler

Well that explains that I guess!

I'm somewhat new to meshes, but have done a little work in Nifskope. When it says removed vertex colors in the log, I was getting worried I did something wrong! Thank you for the knowledge :)

ousnius

ousnius

Resident poster

• Premium Member
  • 9,978 posts
In response to post #54448848.

Spoiler

I spent quite a while comparing the meshes and other data. It's really weird, but I think it has to have something to do with the order of triangles that changed from Oldrim to SSE? At least that's the only thing that affects it. I'm not really sure if I can fix it automatically in the optimizer.

To fix it, you could copy the "NiSkinPartition" block from a working eye to the broken eye mesh using NifSkope. You have to link the index to the NiSkinInstance block again, so that the partition appears under it.

IPB skins by Skinbox
Page loaded in: 3.365 seconds