"missing facegen tint map", etc. when editing vanilla NPC in SE CK

LazyAltmer

Similar issue. Vanilla npc edit. Not even messing with the textures, just stats. And the "ignore because it's an npc" thing doesn't work for me. I change just about anything else it saves fine but if I try to save after those errors show, CK crashes before it successfully saves.

Ah yes, the dreaded vanilla black face bug. Had a fun row with that.

First you have to check your data/textures/Actors/Character/FaceGenData/FaceTint/Skyrim.esm folder and

data/meshes/actors/character/FaceGenData/FaceGeom

That is where all of the vanilla edits are stored and they will overwrite whatever you are doing. You should also see a folder with your modname.esp.

Rename the folder to Skyrim.esm1 (or something else so you have a back up.

Now select your modname.esp folder and rename it, too.

Load your mod into the CK and when it is finished select SAVE. Now select those vanilla NPC's by packs of 10-20 (depending on how sturdy your rig is) and select Ctrl+F4.

When you are finished, looksee into your skyrim.esm folder and modname.esp folder in their mesh and texture locations. Voila! Fixes, fixes everywhere.

If you are packing this mod for others to use, make sure you pull those files into the archive maker so they are for sure there.

Happy modding :smile:

data/textures/Actors/Character/FaceGenData/FaceTint/Skyrim.esm folder and

data/meshes/actors/character/FaceGenData/FaceGeom this does not exist in my game folders at all

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the necropost, but I recently downloaded Obscure's College of Winterhold and while I really love this mod, it bugs the crap out of me that the author got rid of Faralda's pigtails.

I figured "No problem! I'll just fix it myself."

Sadly I ran into the exact same problem as what people above described. Faralda's face goes dark (not black) and her hands go bright white. What I don't understand is how that author was able to change her successfully but I can't.

Edit: Nevermind, I'm a dumbass. Somehow I went through this whole thread going over every post except the one which had the solution... which worked perfectly.

Edited by ManiumX

• 1 month later...

Having the same problem with Vanilla Vampires. All Vampires have the dark face bug. I understand what i have to do in CK to fix it, but since the problems is happening with Vanilla NPCs, how can i find which mod is disturbing the facegen data? I tried using the console to find the NPC form ID by targeting it, but the eight digit number doesn't match the actors form ID listed in CK, nor any list for that matter.

An example: In Fellglow Keep, during the quest Hitting the Books, all Vampires are bugged. I selected one Vampire Fledgling and hit the console, the ID that showed is 0007e7a6. But the FORM IDs of all Vampire Fledglings in Skyrim is quite different. I can't find 0007e7a6 in any mod that i have that edits Vampires.

I am using the Skyrim SE. I don't use too much mods that edit characters other than KS HAIRDOS and APPACHII, the first one the version that applies the new hair to folllowers. Apart from that i have Beyond Skyrim - Bruma, Falskaar and High level enemies. All other mods are armor, weapons, horses and homes. All homes from the modder Ld50365. All SSE mods, except for Horses of Skyrim, Mennohorses and Unique Horse Textures that i ported for myself using CK and seem to be working fine.

UPDATE: It seems i found the solution. I'll post it here for others like me looking for a solution.

As i've seen all over forums the Dark Face Bug is originated when the game is unable to match the head mesh and the head tint/texture. It may happens for a variaty of reasons. Often, mods introduce changes in vanilla NPCs and it conflicts with mods thet change that NPC too. What happened in my case was that a MOD called Left Hand Rings and its parent esp, LeftRingsFirstPersonView were changing the decapitaded heads of vampires, probably so that the left ring coulbe be seen while doing so. This was conflting with several other armor and weapons mods i had. I simply put Left Rings and LeftRingsFirstPersonView way bellow the armor and weapons mods and voila, the Left Hand Ring mod wins the conflict between mods and the Dark Face bug dissapears. Kudos for the SSEDIT the tool i downloaded that helped me find and test the bug. I didn't even had to edit any mod. It was clear seeing the conflict in SSEDIT that it was a load order issue. Way better in that regard than the Creation Kit.

Edited by Anaximandras

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...