Skin tone mismatch for head and body when using New Vegas Redesigned (attempted all standard fixes)

gruntpepper

Using Mod Manager I installed New Vegas Redesigned on top of Fallout Character Overhaul, and then the Type 3 body and armor replacer. When I went out to see if it worked I noticed that Sunny Smiles had a distinctly darker skin tone on her head compared to her body.

Like I mentioned in the title, I tried all the usual fixes:

1. Checked that bLoadFaceGenHeadEGTFiles is set to 1 for all fallout.ini, falloutprefs.ini and Fallout_default.ini

2. Ticked Archive Invalidation on and off several times

3. Unticked and ticked "Have MO manage archives"

4. Replaced the body textures installed by Type 3 with the ones found in New Vegas Redesigned (not a standard fix but I read it supposedly fixes the problem)

5. Deleted and reinstalled all the mods in their correct (?) order (FCO > NVR > Type 3)

The problem still persists. Can the issue be that I had Type 3 installed before FCO and NVR? I can't imagine why it would be so since I uninstalled all three mods using MO, unless I'm missing something. I am not using any ENBs if that is of any help.

1. Are you running a "merged/bashed patch" file? That should resolve mod conflicts affecting the skin color.

2. I found this suggestion here:

It seems I can fix it doing this everytime I play the game:
Open nexus, disable and enable archive invalidation.
In the game create a new character, or load another save game before loading my game play
I have to keep loading another save game until I get the right skin color, after it happens, I always get the right skin color no mater which game I load.
For some reason after doing all this my main character gets the right skin color.
It also works if I use the 'racemenu', but only if I change the race or preset; and that is an issue because then I lose some of my perks, so I have to stick to loading another save game.

This suggests the possibility the use of the "Race Menu" to a non-Caucasian race on a test character will trigger a change in how the game matches skin tones.

3. Are you running a "custom race" mod?
I have seen a suggestion elsewhere (don't have a link) in that when changing race you need to first select a "vanilla" race and then your desired custom race.

4. One more suggestion was to run the vanilla launcher up to the Main Menu and exit so it will update the INI files, even though you have manually edited them to include the "bLoadFaceGenHeadEGTFiles=1" entry. (I list it last as I think it the least likely to make a difference.)

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

Tried a "quick and dirty" bash patch to no avail, the problem still persists. Here is a screenshot if that is of any help.

New Vegas Redesigned offers a few custom races to choose from, but for the purpose of troubleshooting I always picked vanilla ones for the player character.

As for the other suggestions, I tried creating a new character using a vanilla, non-Caucasian race, did nothing. I then tried reloading the same character a few times, still nothing.

From the sticky post "Troubleshooting" in the comments for the Nexus FNVR3 download page, buried in an IMGUR.COM pic:

"If you have used or are using Mod Organizer, Mod Organizer uses its own fallout.ini and falloutprefs.ini, located in \Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout New Vegas\Mod Organizer\profiles(your Profile). These files need to be changed as well."

That location is news to me, though my excuse is "I don't use MO". Otherwise all I can suggest is you go through Dracomies' illustrated "Installation Directions" again. Of course, once you have exhausted all those possibilities you can ask Dracomies in the comments of FNVSR3. But with over 3000 comments, you will have to provide details on what you tried or it's likely he will ignore you for not reading the earlier posts.

Please let me know how you fix this so I can update the "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" article for others.

-Dubious-

I've actually deleted MO and New Vegas and started from scratch. I plan to just install FCO, NVR3 and Type3 to see if the problem is with the mods themselves, or if there was something else in my mod list that was messing them up.

EDIT: Okay, so the issue is definitely with the Type3 body replacer. Using the vanilla female body the difference in skin tone is much less noticeable and, I assume, in line with what NVR is supposed to achieve, so I think I installed it correctly.

Where it gets weird is that the dead body, using Type3, actually has matching skin textures for both body and head. I'm basically stumped as to why that is, or how to fix it.

Edited by gruntpepper