Using vanilla models for custom items

shefski55555

OK so I had a request for me to put one of my mods onto bethesda.net for the PS4 as its quite a simple mod I figured this would be easier enough. I knew about the restrictions for bsa files on the ps4 but seeing as my mod only used a rotated vanilla asset (just because I thought it looked slightly better) i thought that it would be a simple task of changed the models in the mod to use the vanilla version instead of my rotated one. The problem is I cant seem to find a way of telling the custom models to use the nifs in the vanilla bsa. I've tried just straight copying the original item's model file path into the custom item's one but it still looks in the data folder. For example if the vanilla path is "folder 1/ folder 2 / model" for the original item if i put this in the custom item's model file path it brings up the error symbol showing it cant find a model.

Basically my question is, is this a possible thing to do or not and if so where am I going wrong? Thanks :smile:

It's possible but you can't just change the file path as you may expect.

1. Extract the vanilla model from the ba2
  2. place it (in the correct file path) in your meshes folder
  3. open the form
  4. got to model and click edit
  5. find the vanilla model in the data folder and change the model just like you were using a custom model
  6. The form now looks for the mesh in it's correct file path.
  7. Save your mod and exit the ckit
  8. Delete the vanilla mesh from your games data folder

You now should not get the missing mesh and the mod will not require an archive.