CTD's almost anywhere in the North-Eastern Region, even on vanilla install..

Dysphoric22

So I'm really at a loss as to why this is happening.

It seems I get a CTD virtually anywhere north of Whiterun, a little bit east of Morthal, and just north of Windhelm. Basically anywhere in like a really wide v shape on that section of the map seems to have an invisible barrier that makes me crash instantly every single time. For instance, I can walk from Whiterun to Morthal if I keep to the west a little, or walk to Windhelm along the road from Whiterun, but if I were to simply try walking around Whiterun's northern walls, I'll keep crashing in the exact same place. There's also a small area just south of Kynesgrove where this happens.. But yeah, I basically can't go anywhere up there, including Dawnstar or Winterhold. I can be inside both Whiterun and Windhelm without any problems as well, this is only happening when I approach their outer northern borders or stray too far north in various other nearby areas.

I originally thought it had something to do with script heavy mods (I had things like FNIS, XPMSE, Immersive Patrols/Armors, Populated Cities/Lands, Roads, Paths, etc..) but pretty much exhausted my options in investigating that after playing around with LOOT, TES5Edit, Save Game Script Cleaner, starting new games ad infinitum etc etc, and so I've finally reverted back to a completely vanilla install, having uninstalled, verified game cache and so on and it's still ******* doing it.

It should be known that I'm running on something of a potato (I have an Acer with an AMD E2-6110 and R2 graphics, 4gb DDR3 L memory), but I've previously played all the way through the vanilla game on this same machine without issue, and I made it perhaps a quarter of the way through with about 50 or so mods after that before losing interest in that build, all of which was possible thanks to running on low settings, removing shadows, the memory patch, performance textures, various ini edits, tweaks to virtual memory, optimizing system performance and other crap..

Before reverting to vanilla I started running Skyrim Performance Monitor again and, as usual, everything appeared perfectly fine, nothing coming even close to any thresholds from the start and all the way through to these repeatable CTD's. The same is true now that I'm back in vanilla, only moderately better. And just as before, I can still spawn like 25 dragons + 50 or so various other guards or creatures in resource intensive places like Markarth, or no clip at speed around the whole ******* map relatively smoothly, but as soon as I approach these areas, even just while walking, it's like I hit an invisible border and instantly CTD. I haven't raised my ugridstoload or anything like that.. My ini's are basically default except for removing shadows, disabling depth of field, making less grass and reducing its range.. And I haven't changed any memory or Radeon settings at all since my previous playthrough. I don't currently use an ENB or ENBoost, either.

So yeah. I basically have no idea what the heck to even do now. I'd be happy if I could even just do a vanilla playthrough again, or maybe put together a simple survival build, but I'm completely lost at this point.

So if anyone has any idea as to why this is happening or perhaps knows how to fix it, or can even just offer a viable way for me to work around it while still enjoying the rest of the game, I would be so, so, sooo immensely grateful..!! I've seriously logged like 60 hours in the past week alone just trying to figure it out...

And please, don't simply suggest buying a new pc, as that's an impossibility for the foreseeable future and will only serve to exacerbate the depression.. :|

Thank you in advance..

Edited by Dysphoric22

That sounds amazing Purr, and thanks for the reply. So do you mean just taking a screenshot of the map and drawing an approximate outline of the affected area? Or like...taking various screenshots along the Great Wall of CTD's and doing the same for each one? I really appreciate the offer, just a little confused as to what you mean exactly. And it's such a huge area that the latter option sounds particularly daunting..

That sounds amazing Purr, and thanks for the reply. So do you mean just taking a screenshot of the map and drawing an approximate outline of the affected area?

correct.

EDIT: please understand, for each individual, things shape up differently, this application of code needs to be tailored to you only, in so doing, you need to be pure vanilla, "no mods".

Also, the game must be started from steam only, you can not have any data, materials left behind from NMM usages either.

anything sitting in the vanilla data folder made from out side sources, modders materials can and will cause this code not to work.

leftover NMM registry entries or trapped code within a saved game data base, "your saved game file" will also continue to haunt you.

I can only follow a template made that fits every ones default settings. If your system is corrupted, this too will not allow anything to fix the issues so stated.

Now, if you don't understand what that means I can show this too. Corrupted data that is not removable from mods installed onto a hard drive that is not compatible. unscrupulous mod authors ripped data from code from other games materials not meant for use on windows systems in whole will not be able to be removed.

Just 1 example, or a retail game was installed and has frozen a section of the hard drives space preventing the data to be moved or over written by a new games install procedures.

these types of things are very difficult to locate but show up as some sort of weird flaws, usually a hardware error that the operating system can not fix.

another such an example is securom DRM data. IT requires tools from their systems to remove their code.

Edited by Purr4me

here is how some software ends up corrupting the systems used when the coding is not right yet, these things take place and write to areas we are not aware of.

Even though these two shots are done with belligerence by my self in order to show how things react to incorrect programing on any given instance.

https://postimg.org/gallery/2awu90dqu/

That's cross coding results. and the areas is supposed to be off limits, but it's not so it seems.

So I'm not quite sure what to make of it (I'm not remotely as proficient in this area as you are), but I decided to try running it after uninstalling and deleting any reference to NMM, as well as all the mods, backups, past saved games etc. in preparation for applying this prospective patch, and yeah, it's working again! Can travel freely about the entire map now.. There were some files and folders I stumbled across in doing so (a couple in completely abnormal locations) that I ended up having to use Eraser on, no idea which mod they originally belonged to or if they were even the problem for certain though. At any rate, I'm super happy. :P

If it weren't for you I quite probably wouldn't have even tried this, so thank you Purr! :3

Think I might try throwing together that survival build now..

So I'm not quite sure what to make of it (I'm not remotely as proficient in this area as you are), but I decided to try running it after uninstalling and deleting any reference to NMM, as well as all the mods, backups, past saved games etc. in preparation for applying this prospective patch, and yeah, it's working again! Can travel freely about the entire map now.. There were some files and folders I stumbled across in doing so (a couple in completely abnormal locations) that I ended up having to use Eraser on, no idea which mod they originally belonged to or if they were even the problem for certain though. At any rate, I'm super happy. :tongue:

If it weren't for you I quite probably wouldn't have even tried this, so thank you Purr! :3

Think I might try throwing together that survival build now..

acknowledged, now you know what to look for, so easy to overlook, and miss.

I believe it might be a networking flaw in a tool? In the tool as used by another author, Embedded "Mators works", he has in his tool for editing a profile manager that talks to the networks. I could be wrong too, but, at least I looked further into other things related to snafu's that might also produce things like this.

once you get past all the minutia, things start to happen for the better. It never hurts to ask questions, in the questions asked, some time, if not most of that time, the answers lay in the open.

But if the software "Software" is derived for one system version and not compatible or is being made to be Incompatible by the OS, these things take place, and for no reason other than security BY the new Operating systems and updates. Believe me, there is more than enough post here to support such a view point about the results.

From this, I can assume some things, create a possible solution and see what takes place, For me, that is what I do.

If this issue is resolved, then I did ok. But, we still need to be cautious about where this problem came about, and you now know what and where to look.

IF it seems like it's out side the scope of the tools or the games structure, it's a fair "bet" it is and does not belong there. The real hard trick is finding out the correct combination to reproduce it and avoid doing a repeat of it.

windows and PC games for some reason to date, seem to always collide with strange issues that are easy to explain...if you know about them.

most of what I do, is not interesting to gamers.

Who knows ha, but you certainly pointed me in the right direction anyhow. I probably should have taken notes, at least of the files and folders that became corrupted/'undeletable' before I removed them, though I do believe they were titled vaguely enough to still be uncertain as to where they originated (obviously from mods at any rate).. Not sure how but a couple ended up in the root directory of my C drive, right above Games. I dunno. I find these sort of anomalies interesting but they're also way above my level of knowledge. :|

I'll be sure to keep my eye out for this sort of thing in the future though, and thanks again for the assistance! :3