Tamara

Ok. Could be the oldrim packs then. That is if they cover most of the landscape and cities?

Because I have Osmodius SSE Texture pack and it gives me an ok. framerate beteen 45 - 58. ( I have capped the fps to 58 ) The same goes for Real Mountains 1K version.

Edit. I just saw what you said about that you did convert the oldrim mods and started a new game. Then I do not think there could be any problem with them.

Must be something else then but what? I need to think this over for a while.

Edited by goranpaa

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That most certainly looks like a hardware related problem and not a VSync issue, your Skyrim.ini and SkyimPrefs.ini are both fine, RP looks kind of wrong, it should look like this on both profile and global: https://imgur.com/a/Un2Vw and http://imgur.com/a/ohGBM (be aware of the 32/64 bit at the right bottom corner too).

Since it's a hardware related problem (either that or you're either going overboard with VRam and/or other graphical mods) your best bet is monitoring your hardware, GPU/CPU/VRam/RAM usage specifically.

Download MSI Afterburner (4.3.0 stable/final): http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/msi-afterburner-beta-download.html

Go to settings and enable "Enable unified GPU usage monitoring" on "General" tab. Then go to the "Monitoring" tab and click on the tick which is on the left side of the following: GPU temp, GPU usage, Fan speed, Core clock, Memory Usage, Framerate, CPU Temp, CPU usage, RAM usage. Then click over those again and on each one of them, enable "Show in On-Screen Display" (should look like this: http://imgur.com/a/vzucv). Last thing you need to do is go to the "On Screen Display" tab and select the "Toggle on screen display" hotkey, this will be the key that will allow you to turn on and off the on screen display (i personally use f10, but use any key you want as long as it's not a hotkey for something else, like f9 is for load game on Skyrim).

Since it's a hardware problem and not a VSync problem, close both Radeon Pro and FRAPS and use the games VSync (or not if you don't mind getting 1000fps on the menus and your fans getting loud). Either record your performance stats during gameplay (be aware recording will result in some performance loss), take some screenshots, or simply try to remember the numbers by yourself and type them in here.

EDIT: Also, just a FYI, texture packs will NEVER harm your performance unless:

A) You're using more VRam than your GPU has.

B) It uses Parallax (which is not yet available for SSE).

C) There's no Shader Cache support for the game (as long as it's a AAA game and your Shader Cache is on "AMD Optimized" on Global Settings in Radeon Settings, it most likely won't happen).

Edited by gran172

Thank you, gran172.

I downloaded and ran MSI afterburner a couple of times. I couldn't get the fan speed to show in OSD, but I'm not fussed about that. I had to play with the "Show in On-Screen Display" to get the OSD to show. I clicked on log and ran than 3 times, Once for Oldrim for a comparison.

I couldn't get Skyrim SE to run with both RadeonPro and MSI turned on. The ram usage went up to 6000+ and Skyrim started to load, then did not run. As I have 16gb installed, is that were there might be a problem? Ram went up to 6000+ and ran the game without RadeonPro.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q5zrapuqhb46idt/HardwareMonitoring%20Oldrim.hml?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1yt3b5mnyqg2nck/HardwareMonitoring%20Skyrim%20SE.hml?dl=0

On a side note, even after I've closed RadeonPro, there are some bits still running, which I can see when I look at processes running. Any thoughts on how to completely turn it off?

Thank you, gran172 and everyone else who is helping me get to the bottom of this frustration.

ENB series files version .310

enblocal.ini (I looked at the settings in ENBOOST v5 for AMD 4GB vram and tried different reserve memory sizes and took advice on other settings from the forums)

[MEMORY]

ExpandSystemMemoryX64=true

ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true

DisableDriverMemoryManager=false

DisablePreloadToVRAM=false

EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=false

ReservedMemorySizeMb=1024

VideoMemorySizeMb=27414

EnableCompression=false

AutodectectVideoMemorySize=false

[ENGINE]

ForceAnisotropicFiltering=true

MaxAnisotropy=16

EnableVSync=true

AddDisplaySuperSamplingResolutions=false

ForceVSync=false

VSyncSkipNumFrames=0

ENB for SE is new and I wouldn't be adding old Skyrim ENB settings to it.

This is my complete enblocal.ini and I don't have any problems.

[ENGINE]
ForceVSync=false
VSyncSkipNumFrames=0
[LIMITER]
EnableFPSLimit=false
FPSLimit=59.0
[iNPUT]
KeyCombination=0
KeyUseEffect=145
KeyFPSLimit=36
KeyShowFPS=106
KeyScreenshot=44
KeyEditor=35
[PROXY]
EnableProxyLibrary=false
InitProxyFunctions=false
ProxyLibrary=

enblocal.ini (I looked at the settings in ENBOOST v5 for AMD 4GB vram and tried different reserve memory sizes and took advice on other settings from the forums)

[MEMORY]

VideoMemorySizeMb=27414

EnableCompression=false

[ENGINE]

MaxAnisotropy=16

EnableVSync=true

ForceVSync=false

VSyncSkipNumFrames=0

[ENGINE]
ForceVSync=false
VSyncSkipNumFrames=0
[LIMITER]
EnableFPSLimit=false
FPSLimit=59.0
[iNPUT]
KeyCombination=0
KeyUseEffect=145
KeyFPSLimit=36
KeyShowFPS=106
KeyScreenshot=44
KeyEditor=35
[PROXY]
EnableProxyLibrary=false
InitProxyFunctions=false
ProxyLibrary=

Thank you fort that. Do you have an AMD card? If so, do you run RadeoPro? What settings for Radeon or RadeonPro, if you have it? Ta

[MEMORY]

VideoMemorySizeMb=27414

EnableCompression=false

[ENGINE]

MaxAnisotropy=16

EnableVSync=true

ForceVSync=false

VSyncSkipNumFrames=0

[ENGINE]
ForceVSync=false
VSyncSkipNumFrames=0
[LIMITER]
EnableFPSLimit=false
FPSLimit=59.0
[iNPUT]
KeyCombination=0
KeyUseEffect=145
KeyFPSLimit=36
KeyShowFPS=106
KeyScreenshot=44
KeyEditor=35
[PROXY]
EnableProxyLibrary=false
InitProxyFunctions=false
ProxyLibrary=

Thank you fort that. Do you have an AMD card? If so, do you run RadeoPro? What settings for Radeon or RadeonPro, if you have it? Ta

Nvidia. I change the setting on the gfx card for vsync on, setting frame limit to 59.7 (so that a if it jumps it won't jump above 60) that's about it.

I don't think the memory fixes are in the current ENB. So I was thinking if there are remnants of code from Skyrim or Fallout 4 in there that he has based the SE version on and they are not used or optimised they could be damaging your performance if you switch them on in the enblocal.

Just a bit of an idea if you have been trying everything else.

Current ENB version v.310 - color filters, programmable post process shaders and camera effects, bloom, subsurface scattering, depth of field, lens reflections, fps limiter, fps measure, screenshot capture.

No memory management or AA/AF

[ENGINE]
ForceVSync=false
VSyncSkipNumFrames=0
[LIMITER]
EnableFPSLimit=false
FPSLimit=59.0
[iNPUT]
KeyCombination=0
KeyUseEffect=145
KeyFPSLimit=36
KeyShowFPS=106
KeyScreenshot=44
KeyEditor=35
[PROXY]
EnableProxyLibrary=false
InitProxyFunctions=false
ProxyLibrary=

Nvidia. I change the setting on the gfx card for vsync on, setting frame limit to 59.7 (so that a if it jumps it won't jump above 60) that's about it.

I don't think the memory fixes are in the current ENB. So I was thinking if there are remnants of code from Skyrim or Fallout 4 in there that he has based the SE version on and they are not used or optimised they could be damaging your performance if you switch them on in the enblocal.

Just a bit of an idea if you have been trying everything else.

Current ENB version v.310 - color filters, programmable post process shaders and camera effects, bloom, subsurface scattering, depth of field, lens reflections, fps limiter, fps measure, screenshot capture.

No memory management or AA/AF

Thank you for giving my problem a try, Anya29,

I tried your enblocal.ini settings. You are using the same version I had tried. I tried with and without the graphics card settings you suggested. No change.

Noobie question - AA/AF?

Thank you, gran172.

I downloaded and ran MSI afterburner a couple of times. I couldn't get the fan speed to show in OSD, but I'm not fussed about that. I had to play with the "Show in On-Screen Display" to get the OSD to show. I clicked on log and ran than 3 times, Once for Oldrim for a comparison.

I couldn't get Skyrim SE to run with both RadeonPro and MSI turned on. The ram usage went up to 6000+ and Skyrim started to load, then did not run. As I have 16gb installed, is that were there might be a problem? Ram went up to 6000+ and ran the game without RadeonPro.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q5zrapuqhb46idt/HardwareMonitoring%20Oldrim.hml?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1yt3b5mnyqg2nck/HardwareMonitoring%20Skyrim%20SE.hml?dl=0

On a side note, even after I've closed RadeonPro, there are some bits still running, which I can see when I look at processes running. Any thoughts on how to completely turn it off?

Thank you, gran172 and everyone else who is helping me get to the bottom of this frustration.

Doubt it, that's roughly 40% RAM usage, doesn't seem a problem to me.

Go to MSI Afterburner, on settings click on "Enable low level IO driver" and disable it, when it asks you to restart click no, then manually close Afterburner and RTSS and open them again, launch Skyrim and it should work now, since you disabled low level IO driver you won't be able to see your CPU temps but it's fine, by the graphs you showed me your temps are more than fine.

If you look closely you'll notice at the exact same time your framerate drops, both your core and memory clocks drop too, so my guess is your GPU is throttling. Have you tried other games to see if your performance is the same as in benchmarks? Try some games and compare it to benchmarks, or download a synthetic benchmark like Valley Unigine which should be the easiest way. If your numbers aren't the same as in benchmarks, it's your GPU at fault (VRam, RAM and CPU were ok in your Afterburner OSD). If they are, then it's the game.

Also, i've noticed that, afaik the only way is to end the process manually on task manager.

Anisotropic Filtering and Anti Aliasing (my error as AA not in the the enblocal settings anyway)

You are currently forcing AF on in your enblocal and it's not present in the current ENB.

So, is this right? I turned Anti- Aliasing off in SSE options page and in Radeon settings for SSE I changed setting the Anisotropic Filtering to 'use Application settings' instead of over-ride and set to AF level 2x.