[LE] Caves, Dungeons and Location in Skyrim

gimlin1122

Hello everyone. This is actually my first post on forums. Not native speaker, but I will try my best :).
I have recently started to work on a small project during my free time. I am creating cave and a dungeon. My question is as follows;
I know how to connect an exterior entrance to interior, but I don't really understand how this "occupy space in world" really works. I mean, how do I know that my created dungeon, won't conflict with another mod or with an already existing object, that supposedly is in the same location. Where and how do you check that? When you open an object in render window, it just shows the object itself. It doesn't show the location in world. You create an exterior place with an some sort of entrance, then reference it to your interior. Does that mean, that my created location will appear right in that spot? Like for ex., if I create a cave, and then create an exterior entrance right next to Riverwood sawmill - does that mean the cave itself will be in the same position, right there in riverwood? Or my exterior entrance will be in riverwood, but the cave itself will be somewhere in the hell itself.I am not sure I expressed myself correctly, but don't know how else to explain it.
I hope someone can help.

Just want to know, if I decide to upload it, that it won't cause conflicts and ever worse, corrupt someone's save file.

Just want to know, if I decide to upload it, that it won't cause conflicts and ever worse, corrupt someone's save file.

Trust me when I say that if you create a mod and upload it and it has a conflict with another mod, you will know about it very shortly. :D

Mod users are not shy about letting mod makers know that their mod has a conflict with another favorite mod that they're using and they will post about it and ask about a compatibility patch. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, just something to be aware of when you join the mod author ranks with a published file. Where you go from there is up to you - some mod makers are unwilling to do patch files, some don't know how, and some go above and beyond and will patch any mod to work with their mod as soon as they can, spending more time making patch files than making new content. It's up to you how you handle patch requests for your mod.

Regarding your Creation Kit question, what you see is what you get with the render window of the editor - if you place a cave entrance and link it up properly next to the Riverwood Sawmill, when you play the game with your mod active, that is what you'll see in game - a cave entrance near the sawmill. Interiors do not actually exist when you're in the exterior world - that is when you're standing in the middle of Riverwood and you're looking at your newly added cave entrance, the cave interior you created in the CK does not exist at all at that moment somewhere behind or under the entrance. Only when the player passes thru the linked load door entrance will the game transition to a loading screen and load up your interior while at the same time disabling the exterior world - when inside a location, the exterior world does not exist.

Thank you for replying :smile:.

So basically, the created interior isn't something to worry about. Only way that a mod would conflict with another, is if it takes the same area in the exterior of Skyrim?

If another mod places a tree or rock or a building where you place your cave entrance, that's when you have a conflict. What you do about it is up to you as I said above, but it can happen if you pick a popular location to work in. Riverwood and Whiterun in particular are the default places many people start to work in. Not saying you can't do something there, just be prepared to deal with conflicts if you decide to do so. The playable area of the world of Skyrim is only so big and there are many thousands of mod makers out there so even a seemingly "remote" area can get rather busy when it comes to other mods.

Concerning interiors, it is for the most part impossible for another mod to conflict with your mod when it comes to interiors - the other mod has no way of "knowing" about your interior as it only exists in your mod and nowhere else. Note that this applies to the layout, item placements and so on. If you use standard monsters or items and another mod changes them, you can get modded items and NPCs in your interior as the mod will replace the standard items you placed with the items it adds.

I wouldn't worry about that type of thing happening overly much really. Not that it can't happen of course but really if you place a a steel sword for the player to find and the human playing the game installs another mod that makes all steel swords in the game Uber Death Swords x 10000 that kills everything in one hit they'll find an uber sword instead of the basic one you placed. That kind of "conflict" is on the end user, I wouldn't worry about this as the user installing such a mod brought the situation onto themselves so they can deal with it.