Failed 1st LW exaut mission, restart?

Ragnoff1

I think I failed the first of these missions, and understand LW is about sometimes failing missions or having to retreat, my question is was this a major story chain I will now miss? Will another hook into that story be offered?

My save in that game was foolishly back near the beginning. This was my 2nd play through attempt, the first I abandoned as I was playing the old fashioned way, did not realize how much tougher things were, and was using the satellite spam approach, so I restarted after reading a bit about the LW strategy on the wiki.

Thanks for your advice...

Ragnoff

Not sure just what "story chain" you are referring to. XCOM is not a "story chained" progression as in some games that run you "on rails" from one set piece to another. It is about a technology race between XCOM and the aliens, where every failed mission increases the panic suffered in both the country where the mission failed, and the continent where that country resides. When panic in a country hits a peak, you lose that country to alien occupation, along with it's funding. Certain alien events are "scheduled" to occur at particular milestones (not always by date). One of the things LW does, is adjust when those milestones occur. It also allows you to try to recapture a "defecting" country from the aliens. (You will ALWAYS lose one random country in the first month. This is necessary to the game progression, so there is a location for the "alien base".)

So, if you lose the first mission, it only affects the rest of the game indirectly in that panic rises and you (likely) have injured soldiers who need to spend down-time recovering. The alien missions keep coming, and you always need more money and parts and soldiers within that hidden schedule. It's all a juggling act, not a chain. The Exalt are just another faction to deal with.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent